PDA

View Full Version : Should I bother?

Pages : [1] 2

Count
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Was in Sears today and came across a sander/polisher. Just wondering your take on weather its worth the $89 investment to get a tool to get started practicing with. I'm planning to pull the old accord out from under the tree and learn to polish on it. My hopes is that it will be the shiny-est accord with a blown head on the block.
Here is a pic of the specs: 9094
Hopefully you can make it out. (First ever uploaded pic)
Count

Shane731
08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Looks like a cheap circular polisher to me. Personally, I'd spend an extra $35 and go with the Porter Cable 7424 XP. I have the Meguiar's G110v2, but they're a fairly similar tool.

Rei86
08-30-2011, 09:56 PM
4.5 amps for a rotary? Just head out too harbor freights if you wanna spend so little since they have rotary's for around 30bucks for less if you have a coupon.

Count
08-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys and/or gals. Looks like the answer is no, don't bother. I wont.
CieraSL would you recommend the meguiars over the Porter cable for a rookie. The meguiars has more features listed. Do you think that would be a good choice to learn with?

Count

opie_7afe
08-30-2011, 10:35 PM
a d/a is safer to learn with then a circular, you can go far with a d/a. its my next big purchase as right now i just have a circular...so go with the porter cable!

Kristopher1129
08-30-2011, 11:13 PM
If learning on a rotary is what you want to do...then I say just get a rotary. But, if you're just looking to learn how to polish...then a DA would be your safest bet.

You're less likely to screw up something with a DA. But, learning how to use a DA doesn't necessarily teach you much about a rotary. They are two different animals IMO.

I learned on a rotary, and used one for almost ten years before I touched a DA. When I got a DA...it felt like a toy in comparison. But, once you get comfortable with your choice or products, pads, combinations, etc...they can accomplish just about anything a rotary can without all the risk. Just my two cents! :dblthumb2:

To answer your question...no, don't buy that hunk of poo you found at Sears, haha.

C. Charles Hahn
08-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks guys and/or gals. Looks like the answer is no, don't bother. I wont.
CieraSL would you recommend the meguiars over the Porter cable for a rookie. The meguiars has more features listed. Do you think that would be a good choice to learn with?

Count

The Meguiar's tool will give you more room to grow than the PCXP in my opinion; that's the one I'd personally go with.

weavers
08-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Like others said, you buy cheap you buy twice. with that sander you will get decent results but you will always say to yourself, how come I can't get results like people on auto geek do. do yourself a favor and sped that extra 40 bucks and buy the griot grage DA. Its more powerful than the PC and you get a lifetime warenty. Mine broke and I got a free replacement, they even paid for the shiping. No problem

tag4car
08-30-2011, 11:56 PM
I bought one of those when I worked at Sears, 2 speed rotary, not too much power, backing plates are a pain to find as it does not use a hook and loop plate nor is it a 5/8 11 arbor. I got some industrial velcro and made a backing plate on the rubber disc it comes with.

Count
08-31-2011, 12:06 AM
OK I'm going to sleep on this, but when I wake up I'm going with either the Meg or the Flex lightweight. Kristopher makes a very good point. If the end goal is to learn to use a rotary then why play with it, just grab a rotary and learn. Reminds me of when I first started electrical work. My journeyman wanted me to strip wire with those pre-selected wire strippers. I figured why fool with those when eventually I'm going to have to learn to strip wire with kliens. So I picked up the kliens and started stripping wire. Course I made mistakes but that's a part of learning. Can't remember,but I think I rejected the training wheels when I was learning the bicycle. At any rate I'm making a decision tomorrow.
Unless someone can tell me of any advantage of a da over a rotary. Its looking like the flex will be the one.
Count

Count
08-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Thank you everyone for being so helpful.

Count

Kaleb G.
08-31-2011, 01:41 AM
I wish I would have bought my makita before my pcxp. I have a lot of fun with my rotary

JSMet
08-31-2011, 06:08 AM
I agree with you. I should have bought a rotary. My fear was burning my paint, so I always stayed away from them. But I guess the normal progression is to move up to a rotary after getting your feet wet with random orbitals, so that will be my next move.

Count
08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Well its done. The trigger has been pulled on the flex!
Thanks again for everyones input. It was all very helpful.

Count

Kristopher1129
08-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Well its done. The trigger has been pulled on the flex!
Thanks again for everyones input. It was all very helpful.

Count

You won't regret it. Rotaries are absolutely nothing to fear. Proper tenchique is certainly more crucial though. Just be careful, do plenty of reading, ask for help...you'll be giving advice to others in no time. :xyxthumbs: