PDA

View Full Version : Sealant, Drive... Wax or not 2 Wax??

courtdale
08-30-2011, 11:47 AM
OK, I've read up on the Sealant plus Wax guides and tips, and time plus the car being a DDriver is posing a problem for me. To give the Sealant the proper amount of cure time, I'm forced to allow it to cure for a full 24 hours (overnight and daytime working hours). I am also forced to *cringe* drive it to and from work before having an opportunity to wax.

My question is, after this amount of time, and driving, have I taken myself out of the wax window? Obviously the car is going to get contaminated from the drive, and I would be forced to wash and/or QD it bfore being able to wax.

Would this compromise the Sealant?

My other option would be cutting the minimum cure time down to 2 hours or so, rather than the typically required 8 hours. Which is the lesser evil?

Jimmie
08-30-2011, 12:45 PM
No problem to wash and wax after the cure time. I wouldn't ever sacrifice the cure time.
A few weeks wait wouldn't bother me either, but I don't know what the articles say. I'd follow those. The folks on here are pretty knowledgeable.

BobbyG
08-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Sealant

After the surface is prepped and dry apply your sealant according to the manufactures instructions. Once the sealant is buffed to a nice gloss there's no problem driving it just avoid getting it wet.

Waxing

As long as the sealant has roughly 12 hours or more curing under its belt it can be waxed anytime. If you can't get to it for a day or two wash, dry, and wax...

Very simple and easy to do.. :props:

truckbutt
08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
:iagree:with everything that was already said. I'll just add that your sealant should last 3-6 months, depending on how you treat it and the weather conditions it is exposed to. During that time, you will need to wash and re-wax every three to four weeks to maintain that carnauba look and add extra protection or a sacrificial layer for your sealant. One exception to that is if you use Colinite 845 as your wax. That will last as long as your sealant.

weavers
08-30-2011, 02:03 PM
IMO its ridicouls that people leave sealants on there car overnight to "cure." I also find it silly that people buy wax out of tin cans. Get a liquid wax or selant.

collnite 845 is semi liquid and takes about 10mins to haze. by the time you apply to the whole car its time to buff off. or if you want a sealant try 3m performance finish. Its a apply and remove liquid sealant. I like this on white and silver color cars where you want it to be shinny and reflective. I like collnite 845 on dark colors when you want a warm glow.

IMO make car protection easy. Wax your car ever 3-6months, use ONR to wash, buy some walfe weave drying towels. Waxing should take 15mins to apply and remove, maybe 30mins for a big car. I apply for a DA and only one coat. The only reason for 2 is so you don't miss spots, layering adds little benefit. Theres alot of hype and marketing, waxing is for protection.

Mike Phillips
08-30-2011, 04:51 PM
IMO its ridiculous that people leave sealants on there car overnight to "cure." I

Window of time
Just to note, there's a difference between leaving a wax or sealant on the car WITHOUT wiping off the reside and wiping off the residue and then allowing a window of time to pass while the remaining protection ingredients fully set-up.

I've personally never recommended to anyone to leave the wax on their car overnight or past whatever the manufacture recommends.

I know there's some confusion over this topic so just to set the record straight,

Apply wax or paint sealant and then follow the manufactures recommendations for wiping it off.

Some manufactures recommend wiping their product on and then immediately wiping the residue off.

Some manufactures recommend wiping their product on then allow the product to dry, then wipe the residue off.

Either way, after you have wiped off the wax or sealant residue, some manufactures recommend waiting for a window of time to pass while the protection ingredients do their magic.

I can't think of a single wax or sealant product Autogeek carries where the manufacture actually states to leave their product on overnight before wiping the excess off.

:)

courtdale
08-30-2011, 05:19 PM
manufactures recommend waiting for a window of time to pass while the protection ingredients do their magic.

I can't think of a single wax or sealant product Autogeek carries where the manufacture actually states to leave their product on overnight before wiping the excess off.

:)

This was my question. I was OK on the wiping off protocal. I decided to strike the balance since I got home from work a little early tonight and hit a portion of the car with the Blackfire Seal, will let 5 hours pass, and then will wax right before bed.

Last night I hit the hood with both after only letting the sealant cure (after wipe off) for one hour. Was forced to due to time. After reading a bit today, I was worried that I wasted my time on the seal with so little sit time. It looks "good" today, but I have no other experience to compare it to.

Guess I can compare the hood to the portion I'm hitting tonight and see if there's a difference in the morning.