PDA

View Full Version : Detailing clay differences?

RTexasF
02-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I've used detailing clay since 1996, that's when I was first introduced to it. Now I'm realizing there are various grades of clays......some fine, some more coarse. I've always used, well, clay from wherever it was available not knowing there were discreet differences.

Would you folks mind giving me your 2 cents worth on how various brand names fall into the fray? For instance, what brand(s) would be a fine clay and what brand(s) would be an aggressive clay? I doubt I could tell one from another by look and feel.

I've always had the same satisfactory results regardless of brand so I'm a little confused as to why one would be better than the other. What circumstances would call for an "aggressive" clay? Obviously a new car would not require this but even old nasty dogs I've done with "no name" clay came out to my satisfaction. And that says a lot, it's right or wrong in my book....no such thing as just okay.

Is there really something to this or is it crapolla from various makers? I look forward to all replies. Perhaps I'm not the only one confused about this and it will help others at the same time.

I asked this on another car care forum but answers were few and none answered the specific questions above. Can anyone here assist?

abrcrombe
02-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay - fine
Clay Magic, Meguiar's -mild

fine for new cars or touch ups - every couple of months
mild - don't use more than twice a year. If you have been using clay since 86, you have noticed that some cars are REALLY bad and need a lot of clay work. An aggressive clay makes it a little easier because you don't have to do as many passes to remove the contaminants.

Nuke33
02-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Megs works well :)

Reddwarf
02-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm not that experienced with the different clays and I haven't done any testing. However, I have used the Pinnacle Ultra poly clay and found it to be be less abrassive that the clay magic. I also tried a different brand from clay magic, I don't recall the name now but it seemed to me to be the exact same as clay magic.

I do think the Pinnacle Ultra is a finer grade, but other than that one, I don't know if it matter much which brand you buy.

abrcrombe
02-03-2007, 06:59 PM
I think there are only like 3 clay manufacturers in the world. There are a lot more than 3 brands.

Reddwarf
02-03-2007, 07:02 PM
I think there are only like 3 clay manufacturers in the world. There are a lot more than 3 brands.

Probably like bread. There is usually one large bakery in an area and out comes the same white bread with many different wrappers. Also like car batteries!

Al-53
02-03-2007, 07:38 PM
There are 2 makers that I know of..

one is Auto Wax Co. ...makers of Clay Magic (House Brand) but they make for alot of others also

The other is a Japanese company...forgot the name ..but they make Soft99 clay and a few other brands...

as for textures of clay...

Fine Clay...Pinnicle..Sonus..these clays are very fine...can be used more than most...some have said they use it monthy with no adverse effects..and no marring...

Regular Clay...Megs's ..Clay magik...PB's and the list goes on...this grit is used 1-2 times a year the strip surface of fall out and other surface contaminants...also used on a new car to remove rail dust..and transport grit..can strip some wax....and used for sap removal...can cause some lite marring if not lubed well and folded frequently

Medium grit..(body shop)...Meg's (C2100) and 3M have this grit..and more places also...it is basically used for over spray removal after a paint is done ...used on paint..glass and any other surfaces that will require it....it will mar paint most times..stuff is pretty aggressive....can be used on stubborn surface contaminants also...tar..sap..road paint..

Malco makes a Heavy cut...and it is some strong stuff...

A regular clay is all you will need...unless you have some serious contaminant build up..

the fine clay is good if you live in a area that spews alot of fallout and you want to clay monthly to keep paint free of fallout..or some do it before shows and glaze after to produce a ultra smooth shine

Hope this helps some....and if any thing is wrong correct me

Al

ScottB
02-03-2007, 08:52 PM
most clay kits offered at retail are medium grade (Mothers, Clay Majic). As offered Pinnacles Ultra (green) clay is lighter and less abrasive. We also carry the aggressive clay from Megs.
Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive (http://www.autogeek.net/meprdeclag.html)

Reddwarf
02-03-2007, 09:42 PM
So this begs the question, if one is looking for a medium clay which one is the best value?

Surfer
02-03-2007, 10:32 PM
I really like Megs clay, its all I use, the fine clays I don't worry about since I don't clay monthly and when its time to strip down they don't seem to grab as much as the Megs. I have the larger gram size right now, but its the same as what comes in a smaller size in the Smooth Surface kit.

supercharged
02-04-2007, 05:42 AM
most clay kits offered at retail are medium grade (Mothers, Clay Majic). As offered Pinnacles Ultra (green) clay is lighter and less abrasive. We also carry the aggressive clay from Megs.
Meguiars Professional Detailing Clay Aggressive (http://www.autogeek.net/meprdeclag.html)
I wonder about that aggressive clay, anyone used it? What would be the main purpose to use clay that aggressive?

RTexasF
02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
It would be for a neglected surface that would require many passes and a lot of product with the lesser clays.

Thanks to all who responded, you have helped me and I hope others as well.