PDA

View Full Version : best pad type for DAT products, sealer, wax?

flyinion
08-30-2011, 03:10 AM
So I was wondering what is the recommended pad type for the Wolfgang twins with their DAT abrasives? I have the LC CCS pads right now just because they sounded like the new best thing to me (without really know what I was doing) last year when I first bought a couple. Then when I picked up the WG products earlier this year I just bought more to go with them. I've read some comments recently that certain pads types might work better with certain types of compounds but I'm not sure what is best. So I guess I'm wondering which 5 1/2" pads would be best for the following

WG twins
WG DGPS
Pinnacle PCL
Pinnacle SS II

embolism
08-30-2011, 07:23 AM
are you partying (read detailing) with Mark right now?

go to sleep! haha

just in case you can't sleep until you get an answer, DAT polishes work best with flats so the abrasives all break down at the same time. So either the thin LC flats or the thin hydrotechs.

A dedicated crimson hydrotech would probably be ideal for WGDGPS

flyinion
08-30-2011, 11:46 AM
are you partying (read detailing) with Mark right now?

go to sleep! haha

just in case you can't sleep until you get an answer, DAT polishes work best with flats so the abrasives all break down at the same time. So either the thin LC flats or the thin hydrotechs.

A dedicated crimson hydrotech would probably be ideal for WGDGPS

Thanks for the info. I'll see about picking up some flat pads for the TSR and FG then. Hmmm so the blue CCS isn't a good idea for the DGPS? I bought it since that's what was showing and recommended on the product page for it. Either way, blue CCS or crimson HT the DGPS is the only thing that I will use those for.

embolism
08-30-2011, 11:59 AM
I've never used CCS so I can't really say but I have a friend that brought over his monster 6.5 inch CCS pads and I was floored at how big and thick these things were.

I was surprised that his old PC could spin the pads to be honest.

I just don't like the idea of the pockets. To me it means less foam on the paint and less correction.

As for the blue pad, doesn't the WG sealant collect in there too? Maybe it's good so you can just kiss the finish on a new section and keep going but I dunno. Apparently they are tough to clean out as well.

I've had good results with flats so I'll stick with them.

flyinion
08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I've never used CCS so I can't really say but I have a friend that brought over his monster 6.5 inch CCS pads and I was floored at how big and thick these things were.

I was surprised that his old PC could spin the pads to be honest.

I just don't like the idea of the pockets. To me it means less foam on the paint and less correction.

As for the blue pad, doesn't the WG sealant collect in there too? Maybe it's good so you can just kiss the finish on a new section and keep going but I dunno. Apparently they are tough to clean out as well.

I've had good results with flats so I'll stick with them.

Yeah the sealant does collect. I'm still not sure myself if I like the CCS or not, I think I bought them because like I said they sounded like they were the new best thing. I didn't really know any better at the time. Maybe I'll keep my orange ones and my newer white one around in case I ever pick up something that is a SMAT (I think that's the term) type of product. Well, now I have something extra to toss in the basket with the cobra glass towels I want :). The gf's black 2005 Murano is coming up as my next project and it's going to definitely need orange pad/TSR and white pad/FG to fix it lol.

Mike Phillips
08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll see about picking up some flat pads for the TSR and FG then. Hmmm so the blue CCS isn't a good idea for the DGPS?

It works fine. There are no abrasives in a finishing sealant so it doesn't matter the design of the face of the pad.

:)

flyinion
08-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Whoo a reply from Mike :D thanks for the info. With that in mind I'll keep using my gray & blue CCS pads for the sealant and SSII, I think I can keep using the white ones for the Pinnacle PCL, but I may try out a flat pad with that stuff too. Then I'll get the flat white and orange for the WG twins.