PDA

View Full Version : Extractor vs Tornador

Pages : [1] 2

jonn127
08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm a weekend detailer and I'm looking at trying to find ways to improve both the cleaning and time I'm spending cleaning interiors and the cracks and crevices like in a hatchback/doorjamb, carpets and what not.
The Extractors obviously look like they do a fantastic job carpets/cloth. The Tornador also seems like it does a fantastic job with carpets/cloths, wheels.
Does anyone out there have both? If so, which one do you think you get more use out of or is a better bang for your buck? I don't have an air compressor but would invest in a quality one if I were to get one, so its looking like the price for a compressor/tornador would be about the same as one of the smaller extractors. I'm leaning toward the Tornador as it just seems much more versatile.

ShineTimeDetail
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
You can't really compare an extractor to a tornador....the only fabric I normally use my tornador for is carpet I can't get to and scrub like between seats etc. I many use it for door panels, center consoles, and blowing nooks and crannies out.

jonn127
08-29-2011, 05:33 PM
so you don't typically use it on cloth seats? I know they are pretty different, just wondering which would save me more time on an overall detail.

jonn127
08-29-2011, 05:34 PM
My subject should actually be "or", not "vs". Sorry.

Kristopher1129
08-29-2011, 06:37 PM
I've got two Tornadors, and two extractors. So obviously...I need both, ha. But, if I had to choose only one tool...I would absolutely go with the extractor.

The extractor will allow you to do a great job on your carpets. There's not really any alternative IMO to an extractor. I know some people use a steamer and swear by them...but, I also have a steamer, and it doesn't pull out stains like the extractor.

The Tornador...I could live without. I basically only use the Tornador as a dressing tool. I clean all the vinyl by hand, and a magic sponge if need be. Then, grab my Tornador and blast everything. It's great for all those tight spaces and crevices. Really makes perfection look easy.

That being said...you can accomplish anything the Tornador does with a spray bottle, air compressor, and an air gun. I call it "kickin it old school". When my guys are using both Tornadors, and I need to dress..."ahhhh screw it, I'll kick it old school." Comes out just as good. I still got it! :dblthumb2:

P.S. I highly recommend the Mytee Lite II. I have the Mytee Lite II, and the Aztec Hot Rod. I heavily regret not just buying another Mytee Lite II. The Hot Rod is WEEEEEAK! The psi difference between the two is mind blowing. Amazingly enough, they're very close in price.

jonn127
08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
OUTSTANDING feedback, thank you.

ShineTimeDetail
08-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Screw steam on stains! I don't think steam on carpets gets anything cleaner than cleaner and a brush. I was very disappointed when I got my VX5000 and I got the results on carpet it got.

Kristopher1129
08-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Screw steam on stains! I don't think steam on carpets gets anything cleaner than cleaner and a brush. I was very disappointed when I got my VX5000 and I got the results on carpet it got.

I completely agree with you. I wouldn't say screw a steamer...but for penetrated stains on carpets, absolutely useless IMO. The only time I steam carpets is when the carpet is in good shape to begin with.

It is also useful for cleaning seats (unless a stain has penetrated the upholstery). Basically, it's great for topical use. But anything deeper than the surface, I go straight to the extractor.

For example...today I did a Honda Civic that was in pretty good shape. The lady had kids, and she did a damn good job of keeping it clean. There were just a couple of surface stains, and a little discoloration in the carpet. I used the steamer for both the carpets and seats. Then I used the extractor for the mats after I scrubbed them with degreaser. Just an example of how these two tools are useful on every job. People often make the mistake of choosing one or the other...but in reality, they're both VERY useful.

I can see why you'd be upset with the VX5000 though. One reason is the price. I wouldn't pay that much for any steamer, PERIOD. They're just not worth it to me. I paid about $100 for mine...and it does exactly what I need it to. Annnnnd I'm rambling, haha.

ShineTimeDetail
08-29-2011, 10:40 PM
No, I didn't say screw the steamer, just for the carpets....I've never used any steam but mine. I will say my expectations were very high on the VX5000 and I was let down but it is still useful.

Kristopher1129
08-29-2011, 10:43 PM
No, I didn't say screw the steamer, just for the carpets....I've never used any steam but mine. I will say my expectations were very high on the VX5000 and I was let down but it is still useful.

Oh, I know you didn't say that. I knew you were speaking about carpets specifically. That was just my own opinion. I agree with you.

fishnugget
08-29-2011, 10:44 PM

Damn, I was looking at the VX5000 but it wasn't really for detailing cars. Instead, I want it to replace mopping at my house. Have you tried mopping the floors with it? Is it any good in that aspect of cleaning? Thanks.

bill walsh
08-30-2011, 06:33 PM
i use it on shop bathroom floors and sinks and toilet every weekend

Jenn1270
08-30-2011, 08:09 PM
How actually does a tornador work?

Kristopher1129
08-30-2011, 08:49 PM
How actually does a tornador work?

It's an air tool. It basically allows you to create a rotating mist of basically any product you want. It has a on and off valve so you can switch between solution, and air. So you can blast a vent...then flip to air and dry it out in a matter of seconds.

It's hard to explain...but that's my attempt, ha.

wildjyoung
09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I just got my tornador and have been highly impressed so far. I agree with all comments posted. It does not replace the steamer or an extractor. However, it does speed up cleaning an interior considerably and make cleaning cracks and crevices much easier.

I do however have a question. Can I use the same tornador to clean and apply dressing with a different tank? I prefer not to buy two of them.