PDA

View Full Version : Dr Colorchip for white pearl paint?

clm65
08-29-2011, 01:36 PM
I've got a chip or two to repair in my wife's 2011 Nissan Murano with Glacier Pearl (white) paint. The Dr. Colorchip website specifically discusses the difficulty in color-matching pearl paints. I repaired a previous chip with the factory touch-up paint with so-so results, and I'm willing to pay a bit more for the Dr. Colorchip system if it gives better results. Has anyone tried this system with white pearl (or any other pearl) paint?

Thanks!

ohmy34
08-29-2011, 02:04 PM
I have not used DR. colorchip, but I do know that all white pearl paint jobs or three stage, meaning that there is a base coat, intermedaiate pearl coat and a clear coat. so matching it with one treatment of a touch up, you would be able to see it. jonathan

clm65
08-29-2011, 03:15 PM
I have not used DR. colorchip, but I do know that all white pearl paint jobs or three stage, meaning that there is a base coat, intermedaiate pearl coat and a clear coat. so matching it with one treatment of a touch up, you would be able to see it. jonathan

Yeah, that's exactly what the website said. They have some photos of a white pearl car that they applied their product to, but it's hard to tell from the photos just how closely they match the original color. I'm hoping someone at AGO actually used it so that I can get some hands-on feedback. Thanks!

kronos
08-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I just used Dr Colorchip on my car this past weekend. I believe it's a dark blue pearl color (orient blue to be exact). The hood had a ton of road rash. It worked wonderfully on my car. From standing height, I could not tell where the tiny road chips were filled-in, but I was able tell on the largest chips. I plan to recoat those larger chips to blend them in more. As of right now, I highly recommend Dr Colorchip.

Jimmie
08-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Not Dr. Colorchip, but have tried white pearl aftermarket on MIL's 2000 Toyota Corolla. It had two vials (maybe three it's been a number of years). First put down a base coat, then a pearl coat. I don't remember if there was a clear coat. It didn't match worth a darn.
I talked to a body shop who said most don't match very well so stop by and he would mix up a batch. As off as it was it was a lot closer than the "Autolite" touch-up paint from Ford for my Expedition. Yuk. I will be stopping at a body shop.

clm65
08-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Kronos - glad you had a good experience with it. Now that you mention it, my truck is dark blue pearl. Last year I repaired a chip with an OEM touch up kit. It turned out great. I'm thinking that maybe the darker colors are easier to match?

Jimmie - the body shop is definitely worth checking out. If they are reasonably priced, I may go that route.

Thanks for the replies!

karldds
08-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Which of the products is easier to use. I have a 2009 BMW. silver and there is a chip next to the drivers door handle?

clm65
08-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Dr. Colorchip sure looks easy to use (I've never used it). There is a recent video from Garry Dean, just search on "dr colorchip".