PDA

View Full Version : New to DA's

Pages : [1] 2

coop0589
08-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey Guys! I've been lurking around and learning a bit about DA's and I have a question. I was just about to pull the trigger and pick up a Meguiar's G110v2 to learn off from but most reputable places are out of stock. My next alternative would be to go with the Flex(prefer to get this over the G110v2). Not really interested in getting the PC or GG6. So my question is, will it be difficult for a newb?

Thanks

JSMet
08-29-2011, 05:28 AM
Not really. Once you get used to the way it moves and adjust to it. I really appreciated how it can cut your working time and give you better results than you ever could expect. You won't regret purchasing any type of DA or random orbital buffer that is of good quality, and Flex, Meguire's, and Griot's Garage all fall into that category.

truckbutt
08-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Not really. Once you get used to the way it moves and adjust to it. I really appreciated how it can cut your working time and give you better results than you ever could expect. You won't regret purchasing any type of DA or random orbital buffer that is of good quality, and Flex, Meguire's, and Griot's Garage all fall into that category.
:iagree:My wife who had no prior DA experience, learned how to use the Flex in an hour. Like any other tool, you just get used to it. It's worth the extra money.

mark58
08-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I think you need little more research. Many Pros on this site just about retired their Flex.

kimtyson
08-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Not sure about Mark58's comment on retiring the Flex's. I see a lot of folks who like them a lot. Though more research is always best when making an informed decision.
I have a PC and it works just fine for my purposes. If you get a Flex you will have nothing to get used to since it is your first machine. Just be sure to get some practice first. Maybe go to a junk yard and get an old, trashed out hood or fender.
Good luck with your choice.

coop0589
08-29-2011, 09:57 AM
I think you need little more research. Many Pros on this site just about retired their Flex.

Really? So, what is the preferred choice? Where's the best place to research or key terms to use. I've watched countless videos from Mike and others on youtube. The majority of professional detailer videos I see are using Flex.

Not sure about Mark58's comment on retiring the Flex's. I see a lot of folks who like them a lot. Though more research is always best when making an informed decision.
I have a PC and it works just fine for my purposes. If you get a Flex you will have nothing to get used to since it is your first machine. Just be sure to get some practice first. Maybe go to a junk yard and get an old, trashed out hood or fender.
Good luck with your choice.

Previous searching a year ago I was going to go with the PC but hearing that it causes your hands to go numb is my main drawback. Reason being is that I've been working in the automotive manufacturing business and my hands hurt from time to time.

I've been hanging on to an old trunk lid that I replaced a year ago for this exact reason.

skipper1
08-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I love my Flex 3401, I use it every time I get a chance to. I also love my Griot's 6" buffer with the 3" backing plate for those hard to get places and you will too.

mark58
08-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Hey Guys! I've been lurking around and learning a bit about DA's and I have a question. I was just about to pull the trigger and pick up a Meguiar's G110v2 to learn off from but most reputable places are out of stock. My next alternative would be to go with the Flex(prefer to get this over the G110v2). Not really interested in getting the PC or GG6. So my question is, will it be difficult for a newb?

Thanks

What are you planning on doing? If I am understanding you correctly you plan on working on you own car? My opinion would be to get Megs, GG or PC and get yourself
Meguiars DA Microfibre Correction System

it save yourself a lot of time, products and results will be rewarding. Just my 2 cents.

JRivers
08-29-2011, 11:35 AM
FWIW I have very "weak" wrists due to carpal tunnel from my office job, and the PC did not make my hands go numb nor experienced any pain using it for several hours on my very 1st detailing job...just my 0.02 :)

Mike Phillips
08-29-2011, 11:35 AM
So my question is, will it be difficult for a newb?

Thanks

No. The PC style polishers are the easiest to learn and master, (note that's 2 things).

See the article below from my article list...

New to Machine Polishing?

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html)

Video: How to pick the right polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/25695-show-car-garage-video-how-pick-right-polisher.html)

This article tell you why they are,

Safe
Easy to use
History of where they came from

These tools are the easiest tools to learn how to use and so safe that even my son Rand is able to operate one safely on Nate Truman's 1966 Batmobile Recreation.

Photo courtesy of LacViet Photography
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/medium/RandBuffingBatmobile1.jpg

:buffing:

truckbutt
08-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Anyone who is unhappy with their Flex can send it to me. I'll be sure to find it a good home. Among DA's the Flex is in a class by itself. The power of a rotary without the risk of paint damage. Like any other profesional tool, it requires an understanding of how it works and the proper technique of use.

Mike Phillips
08-29-2011, 11:38 AM
What are you planning on doing? If I am understanding you correctly you plan on working on you own car? My opinion would be to get Megs, GG or PC and get yourself
Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System

it save yourself a lot of time, products and results will be rewarding. Just my 2 cents.

The Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System is a good option as long as you're working on factory baked-on paint. There are micro-marring issues when working on softer paint systems and re-paints. Always test any pad and product combo to a small area and then inspect before buffing out the entire car.

:)

poweraid
08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I use a griots and the flex 3401. couldn't do without either. I use the 3401 for correction and the gg for sealant and wax and for small correction using a 4 inch pad. also if ever thinking of using the megs damf kit u should use a traditional da not the flex. while other have used it with a flex it works best with a traditional da. I don't use the damf pads but this is just what I have heard here on the forum . I'm deciding right now to jump up to a pe14, I change my mind everyday. do I need it for just hobbyist work? the 3401 can do everything just slower than using a rotary. I'm also a little worried about that jump to rotary , burning paint and holograms. I got lots of reading and research to do before I pull the trigger.

coop0589
08-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Meguiars DA Microfibre Correction System

Looking at getting into detailing part-time and possibly going full-time. Luckily for me, I work second shift so I can get in at least one car a day.

Thank you all for your responses. I think I'm going to pick up the GG6 first and learn a bit off it. Then use it in conjunction with the Flex.

What would be a good 5" & 3" backing plate to use with the GG6?

PAR Detailing
08-29-2011, 12:56 PM
I highly recommend the Megs MF System and Go with the 5 inch Backing Plate

Here is the Kit:
5" Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-5in.html)
Here is the 3" Backing Plate:
3" BP (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-unigrit-backing-plate.html)&
3" Cutting Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/3in-microfiber-cutting-discs.html)

3" Finishing Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/3in-microfiber-finishing-discs.html)