PDA

View Full Version : TSR dusting?

flyinion
08-27-2011, 07:12 PM
I thought the TSR was not supposed to dust? I've been working on my car in the garage, probably about 85F ambient or so, and I've ended up having to mist the pad with water first each time (heard about doing that around here somewhere) otherwise it starts dusting and clumps of it stick to the paint. Am I doing something wrong? Using a PC 7424 on 5000 opm with a white 5 1/2" CCS pad. After about 3 section passes it would start dusting like crazy. I primed the pad and then was using the 3 drop method after that.

Dr Oldz
08-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Sounds like you are using too much product. Make sure you are also keeping the pad clean between sections!

embolism
08-27-2011, 08:56 PM
thick CCS pads and DAT polishes are not a good mix imo...

flyinion
08-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Sounds like you are using too much product. Make sure you are also keeping the pad clean between sections!

Don't think so, put an X on and spread it to prime the pad, then 3 small dots. It seems to be doing better since I started using the water so I think maybe the heat was causing an issue. It's like it was gumming up and balling up due to drying out before it got a chance to work.

thick CCS pads and DAT polishes are not a good mix imo...

??? The 5 1/2" x 7/8" low profile CCS? I have no problem getting different pads, I'm just not sure what to get now as I wasn't aware there was anything lower profile in any of the lines.

Buckskincolt
08-27-2011, 10:29 PM
I like the TSR, it's my goto polish. It will dust some when it's hot, but pretty much anything will in dry hot air. I use the LC Hydro Tech pads and they do work quite a bit better than Flat or CCS pads IMO. I don't use water but some ONR Mixed like clay lube to "lightly" mist the pads when I get a little dusting that help but you still will get some.

Dr Oldz
08-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Sounds about the same amount I use. Maybe just try to work a bit smaller area and make sure the pad is always clean. Hot dry days will also lower any polish's work time.

flyinion
08-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks all, I was trying to keep the areas small, guess not small enough. Hmm now I wonder if I was working it too long (is that possible on a DAT?). I was doing 6 section passes on each section.

Lol @ the clay lube, I had a big bottle of that already mixed up. I thought maybe it would interfere so I just used water.

Bunky
08-28-2011, 06:29 AM
I would also suggest using less polish as well. When I get dust, it is almost always too much product in the pad (either over primed or dried out). This can be over buffing as well which is the dried polish problem.

For me, I find that the x method can leads to over priming. I would start with 2x the amount on the first panel and then switch to the per panel amount for Menzerna polishes. You just need enough to cover the work panel and you adjust based upon the pad as well since some pads absorb or behave differently. I would also clean the pad after every panel.