PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Dust Removal

Buckskincolt
08-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Hello,

I'm polishing my wifes Audi A4 (black) and removing the polishing dust is proving to be a challenge. I tried rinsing it but the paint mars when I wipe dry with a clean guzzler and the leaf blower does not work at all because there is no protection left. I can't blow it off, it sticks and does not move. Pretty much any wiping re-mars the paint. So I'm looking for a little help here. Feedback Please!:detailer:

bottlefed02
08-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I would just rewash. Maybe even try a rinseless or waterless wash.

Sent from my Samsung Epic

ride5150
08-27-2011, 03:32 PM
try some quick detailer like ONR diluted 1:16. When you wipe make sure youre not using a lot of pressure, thatll leave swirls and marring. wipe gently and quickly. you can also try OPC 4:1 and then rinsing it off.

Kurt_s
08-27-2011, 03:52 PM
I personally don't like IPA when working with black but IPA is one option. Mineral spirits is another option. ONR is also a reasonable choice.

I actually like Megs Final Inspection as a QD for compound/polish removal, especially with soft black paint. It was the best choice for me when working on soft black paint like on older Porsches. It is paint shop ready and doesn't mar the paint.

BobbyG
08-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I generally rewash using my foam gun then use a power washer with a low presser nozzle to remove anything left..

kronos
08-27-2011, 05:33 PM
You may need something softer than the guzzler. Do you have any Cobra 530's, 600's or Gold Plush? I tested the 600's on a jet black BMW that I recently polished and found that they do not mar the paint. After polishing a test spot to perfection, I decided to conduct a little experiment. I wiped the test spot with a 1" boars hair brush, a Megs Supreme Shine towel, a Megs Ultimate Wipe towel and the Cobra Jr 600's. Only the 600's didn't mar the paint.

Buckskincolt
08-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks Guys!

I went with an ONR spray then wiped very gently with a Cobra 530 and that did the trick. I could not believe how touchy this paint is. Got it finished up and a nice thin coat of WG DGPS3.0. I was going to coat it with Cquartz but I didn't have an indoor place and it was really windy here so That will be in the future! Thanks Again!!

loudog2
08-27-2011, 11:13 PM
I generally rewash using my foam gun then use a power washer with a low presser nozzle to remove anything left..
:iagree:I do the exact same thing. With the exact same pressure washer, bought from the same store:dblthumb2:

flyinion
08-28-2011, 02:09 AM
DOH wish I'd seen this thread before I created one in Detailing 101 earlier. Ended up using the ONR QD ratio but wasn't sure if it was safe to layer sealants/etc. on top of that. Sounds like it's not an issue so glad I used it.

Old Tiger
08-28-2011, 08:17 AM
UWW+ should remove without marring. Agree with Kurt about Final Inspection too.