PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Compound

modman
08-27-2011, 01:27 PM
I just placed and order and included Optimum compound and some surbuf pads. I am going to try this out on my winter DD (Black 2006 dodge ram mega cab) it has never had paint correction. I thought this combo would be faster than M105/205. Any tips or comments on OC it seems to be fairly popular?Feed back please

Dubbin1
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I hope you're not thinking you can do a one step with the surbuf, especially with black paint.

Garry Dean
08-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I hope you're not thinking you can do a one step with the surbuf, especially with black paint.

:iagree:

modman
08-27-2011, 02:14 PM
What do you suggest to finish I have M205 and lake country flats? Can I do a one step using a lake country flat pad?

Garry Dean
08-27-2011, 02:23 PM
What do you suggest to finish I have M205 and lake country flats? Can I do a one step using a lake country flat pad?

205 is good to finish. You should try using m205 and white and see if you are happy with the results, then go from there. You won't get much defect removal with m205, but it will shine up real purdy.

modman
08-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. So i take it a two step is pprobably what I have to do given the colour of paint I have?

Dubbin1
08-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. So i take it a two step is pprobably what I have to do given the colour of paint I have?

Yeah pretty much.

modman
08-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks again everyone for the advice. I will try and post pics and writeup after it is done.

Kurt_s
08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I finally used the surbufs for the first time with M105 on a VW convertible with blue metallic paint. I was amazed how quickly it removed the swirls. I used Opt HyperCompound with a orange flat pad the night before and it took some time to remove swirls from a Mercedes. Two different paints and vehicles but the surbuf's made an impression. Polished with Opt HyperPolish and a white pad, in both cases.

My experience with Opt Hyper-Compound and Opt Compound II with orange flat pads, is that M105 cuts faster. Not much dusting with OC. Megs Ultimate Compound, Opt Compound II and HyperCompound cut about the same.

Make sure that you clean the surbuf with each section like a foam pad. I used a terry towel and stiff brush to keep it "clean." Be aware that Opt polishes tend to discolor pads, so your white surbuf may have a light blue tinge after using it.

I would guess that the Surbuf and Opt Compound will work well too, but as Dwayne commented, you should plan on using a white or blue pad and a polish like Opt Polish II, Opt HyperPolish, or M205 to gloss it up. Everything shows on black. On black, I've been using Opt Finish after the polish step.

Have fun!

I just placed and order and included Optimum compound and some surbuf pads. I am going to try this out on my winter DD (Black 2006 dodge ram mega cab) it has never had paint correction. I thought this combo would be faster than M105/205. Any tips or comments on OC it seems to be fairly popular?Feed back please