PDA

View Full Version : Any detailers with propane powered generators?

Rav777
08-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I just found out these things exist and I would like to see if anyone has any experience with generators that run off propane. If you do, how do they compare to the gas powered generators? Any information will be helpful as I am looking for a new generator. :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
08-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Why would you want to do this? The only reason I could see for that is so you could run it inside (within reason). Propane is so much more difficult to get than gasoline.

Rav777
08-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I was just curious on the machine itself. My friend owns a propane company so I get dirt cheap fill ups. I was just thinking this can save me some money. The model I am looking at can run on gas and propane just in case I run out of one or the other.

oldmodman
08-26-2011, 11:47 PM
If you burn propane you will never be bothered with dirty spark plugs and your oil will still look brand new when you change it.
I have a natural gas generator for a house back up system. And except for replacing the battery every five years I just leave it alone.

opie_7afe
08-26-2011, 11:52 PM
from my research the small say 1000-4000w propane generators are still just as noisy as the gasoline counterparts(as far as the cheaper ones go) but on the positive side is they can run longer between fuel fill-ups. the uber quiet ones are those home standby generators they run nearly silent from what i heard....hope this helps..

jpegs13
08-27-2011, 03:35 AM
I have a backup generator for my home that's propane. Runs like a charm

Setec Astronomy
08-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Do you guys that have home backup generators that run on propane also use propane for heat/cooking? If not what kind of tank do you have and how do you get it filled?

bugeye
08-27-2011, 10:20 AM
We have a 20+ year old propane generator which came with the house, 7500 kw. Has transfer switch and hard wired electrical components. Single cylinder air cooled Briggs and Stratton, 17 hp. LOUD, but mounted to garage floor in corner. No sound attenuation. Exhaust exits through wall. Exhaust is fairly quiet but engine is noisy. It runs off 30# propane cylinders. Can run most of the house, well pump, oil furnace, refrigerator, freezer, microwave, but not the central air conditioning. A 30# tank lasts about 12 hours. Tanks are filled at the local U Haul or home center.

Rav777
08-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies. As of now I am looking for a portable propane generator to take with me when I go out on mobile details. I will post some links up when I am home from work

oldmodman
08-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Do you guys that have home backup generators that run on propane also use propane for heat/cooking? If not what kind of tank do you have and how do you get it filled?

Since I am in a big city (Los Angeles), I am hooked up to "The Gas Co."
And am supplied with natural gas and billed monthly. However, the only other appliance hooked up to the gas is my water heater.

Bunky
08-27-2011, 01:28 PM
I am looking at getting a propane powered standby type generator for power outages. I have a 200 gallon tank and from what I can tell a 15-20kW type generator could last 60-100 plus hours.

Rav777
08-27-2011, 05:39 PM
This is the type of generator I was looking at. Just a rough idea I might try to find one with a Honda engine.

Generac 6000 Portable Generator - LP3250 - 3250 Watt Portable LP Generator (http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-6000-Portable-Generator/p7161.html)