PDA

View Full Version : Using a pad for two different products

flyinion
08-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Apologies if you already saw this, I was trying to keep it in my original post, but things seem to get buried in the "product guides" forum. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/38867-yet-another-product-pad-question.html#post527576

Basically wondering if a little Pinnacle SS II residue left after trying to wash foam pads will have an effect on Wolfgang finishing glaze especially if it will have the DGPS put on after? Carnauba seems to be hard to get out of the pads, but I only have two grays (both used for SS II already) and might need them over white ones for my paint.

The Heater
08-26-2011, 11:32 PM
There is a pad cleaner (maybe you are already using it, so I am not going to make any assumption here) called "Der Wunder Wash" by Sonus, that cleans pads in a matter of about 30 seconds. It cleans out wax too.

I know that is not on point for your question, though. I have used pads with slight residue from other products and have not had any bad results from doing that. Some dual use of pads is unavoidable, and you can't always get everything from the first use out.

I have also used pads with more than slight residue for a second substance. When I am compounding using an orbital polisher. But it is always for switching to a different compound, a lower grit, and it is the same purpose for the pad. Again, no bad results. Using the 3M Perfect-It body shop supplied compounds.

flyinion
08-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Well this just became a non-issue for now. After testing the Wolfgang FG with an unused gray pad (found I had one) and a white pad, even though I was told my Nissan's paint is soft and I shouldn't need anymore than FG on a white pad, the fine scratches still didn't come out satisfactorily. So I'm going to hit it with TSR and a white pad. Since the TSR is supposed to finish down to LSP ready in most cases, I'll just seal it after that. Once I get everything done this one time, I figure I can get away with the FG on a white pad in the future. The gray pad really didn't do anything at all.