PDA

View Full Version : Black F150

sorford
08-26-2011, 06:51 PM
I have some experience with polishing using a PC and Prima products. I had the process down for our MINI cooper, but now we have an F150. Before I get ready to work on the truck, does anyone have any experience with the paint on these? It is an 08 if that matters. The paint is in pretty good shape with minor swirls and some water spots. There are also water spots on the glass that I need to work on.

Last month, I took a scratch out of the tailgate of the truck. I used the orange pad with swirl, and it worked, but I seemed to have been left with more swirls then I am used to. I plan on doing a test spot to see if I was too aggressive, or not aggressive enough, but thought I would see if anyone has any insight before I get going.

I have yellow, orange, white and black pads from LC. From the Prima line, I have Swirl, Amigo, and Epic. On the MINI, I had luck with the orange pad with swirl, followed by the white pad with Amigo.

Thanks,
Shannon

Here is the MINI after I polished it out the first time. :)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/moms_pics1/PICT3053.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/moms_pics1/PICT3055.jpg

Flash Gordon
08-26-2011, 06:56 PM
You should not be leaving swirls behind with a PC

Fords truck paint is easy to work with IMO. I would go with the orange pad and 105 if you have it. If not, pick up some Ultimate Compound

dchristo
08-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I polished mine a few weeks ago.....be prepared !!!!! the clearcoat is HARD....the orange pad and ultimate compound did nothing...I went with purple wool and 3M super duty compound as the first step, then orange with UC

poweraid
08-26-2011, 08:12 PM
I polished mine a few weeks ago.....be prepared !!!!! the clearcoat is HARD....the orange pad and ultimate compound did nothing...I went with purple wool and 3M super duty compound as the first step, then orange with UC

what year truck u have ? I got an 04 , I used orange with powerfinish and that took care of everything. but yes depends on how bad paint is in first place and how far u wanna go to correct it . I was extremely satisfied with my results.

dchristo
08-26-2011, 08:20 PM
what year truck u have ? I got an 04 , I used orange with powerfinish and that took care of everything. but yes depends on how bad paint is in first place and how far u wanna go to correct it . I was extremely satisfied with my results.

mine's an 04 also... the truck stays clean but had never been polished...I started with the orange pad and UC and it just seemed it was doing nothing....could have been me.LOL

poweraid
08-26-2011, 08:30 PM
mine also was never polished or even clayed . I sure hell learned a lot here . the power finish did wonders IMO . left the finish darn right Lsp ready if u did not want to polish down even further . I don't remember if I did this with my gg I might not of had my 3401 by then . we all do with what we got and work best

poweraid
08-26-2011, 08:33 PM
I did use uc on a 06 focus and it did something but not as well as I wanted . I wanted to try uc and up , now I know what kinda of paint I can use it on

Ech0
08-26-2011, 10:16 PM
I used an orange pad, Ultimate Compound & followed up w/white pads & Swirl-X. Dark Blue Pearlcoat is what I think the color is called.

Still had some rids, not perfect, but I was satisfied w/the outcome. Important to note I have nothing to compare it to. First time machine polishing for me. I do wish I would've tried the Megs microfiber pads though.

Kaleb G.
08-26-2011, 11:13 PM
I have a an 04, too. I ended up using the mf pads and 105 on it and it turned out pretty well. The tailgate needs done again and I'm probably going to try my makita, a white pad, and some 205 (not in terrible shape).

sorford
08-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the been there, done that, information. I am going to try again with what I have and see where I end up. I just got spoiled by the little MINI that polished up so nicely.. LOL

Will post back with a before and after eventually. It is too hot to do a black truck without shade right now. :)