PDA

View Full Version : Going to place first order today or tomorrow but question...

dmband
08-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Based on recommendations and reading I was going to get and do in order the following:

1. Wash with ONR and wash mit
2. Clay with Maguiars clay kit and quick detailer
3. Meguiars Swirl X
4. Meguiars Ultimate compund

Now I think that first part is right this is where I'm not sure I know I have to use Collinite #476 because of our winters but do I use the menzerna powerlock too? What order do they go on if I need them both. I don't want to order anything I don't need!

THANKS!

Mike Phillips
08-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Based on recommendations and reading I was going to get and do in order the following:

1. Wash with ONR and wash mit
2. Clay with Maguiars clay kit and quick detailer
3. Meguiar's SwirlX
4. Meguiar's Ultimate compund

Now I think that first part is right this is where I'm not sure I know I have to use Collinite #476 because of our winters but do I use the menzerna powerlock too? What order do they go on if I need them both. I don't want to order anything I don't need!

THANKS!

Here's the right order,

1. Wash with ONR and wash mitt
2. Clay with Meguiar's clay kit and quick detailer
3. Meguiar's Ultimate compound
4. Meguiar's Swirl X
5. Seal the paint with a wax or paint sealant

Applying a wax over a paint sealant is called topping and the normal and accepted method is to apply a "wax" over a "paint sealant" so apply the Menzerna Power Lock first, wait for a little while for the polymers to fully dry and setup and then apply a thin coat of the Collinite 476 over the top of it gently with a soft pad.

:)

Mike Phillips
08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
You're question is timely as I just re-wrote an older article of mine and posted it this week...

Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html)

An early auto repair shop that offers detailing
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/SimonizeModelAm.jpg

:)

dmband
08-26-2011, 12:03 PM
SWEET! Thanks Mike I am so excited to get my order and see the results you are VERY helpful and I don't know how you reply so quick but I like it! Hoping to get some product on the Facebook sale today!

:dblthumb2:

dmband
08-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Would it be ok if I skipped the compound and swirl x steps until I buy a DA? It is an expedition so if I do those steps by hand I can imagine it's going to take a VERY long time!

Dubbin1
08-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Would it be ok if I skipped the compound and swirl x steps until I buy a DA? It is an expedition so if I do those steps by hand I can imagine it's going to take a VERY long time!

Yes it would be ok, I wouldn't even think about doing an expedition by hand.

Mike Phillips
08-26-2011, 02:22 PM

I just posted this to another thread but it fits here too...

One thing I recommend to people new to machine polishing I recommend just tackling a portion of the car like the roof and front clip, that way you can work all the way through all the steps,

Correction step
Polishing step
Sealing or waxing step

You won't get burnt out and you'll still have time left in the day for something else, (girlfriend, wife, job, etc.)

If you want to tackle the car in one day, if possible, wash and clay the car the day before so you can start right off the bat on the machine polishing steps. Be sure to get some painter's tape and tape-off any plastic trim, especially if it's the pebble textured type. Easier and faster to tape-off then to try to get polish and wax residue off plastic trim at the end of the project when you're tired.

If you rub the Expedition out by hand at least you'll get a good work-out!

:xyxthumbs: