PDA

View Full Version : LC Flat 5.5" Pad Problems...

DealerDetailer
08-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Hey everyone, I'm having some trouble with my LC 5.5" flat pads I bought back in June (maybe a month earlier). Here's what I have going on...

Heres the what I bought; Orange, White, Black
Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

I bought that pads back a few months ago. Used them on only a few(3) "complete details", and then for some touch up work here and there.

Just the other night I was about half way through with the correction process with Megs 205 on the LC Orange pad (min pressure) when the Velcro backing folded in on itself (just like pic). This happened while I was rounding a quarter panel. So I reset the pad and continued, however it happened shortly again afterwards. This continued to happen more repeatedly until the pad now no longer sticks to my 6" backing plate...the pad just falls off. This same happened to my LC White pad as I was almost done with the job - this pad still kinda of sticks: half of the pad only catches the backing plate.

Then today I applied the second coat of Poorboy's EX-P sealant after allowing the first to cure overnight. However, before I had begun the second coat I noticed that my LC Black pad overnight had it's Velcro backing had to started to peal away (see pic). I read another post on the forum here about LC pad glue failing, but if I remember correct that problem took place some time ago.

Anyways, I'm wondering has anyone else has had experienced anything like this from their LC Flat 5.5" pads?

cbsb
08-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Just to clarify:
You are using LC 5.5" flat pads with a 6" backing plate?

Shouldn't the pads be bigger than the backing plate? (ie: 6.5" pads on a 6" backing plate)

Chris

DealerDetailer
08-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Just to clarify:
You are using LC 5.5" flat pads with a 6" backing plate?

Shouldn't the pads be bigger than the backing plate? (ie: 6.5" pads on a 6" backing plate)

Chris

LOL. Yes, you are correct.

I am using 5" backing plate and 5.5" LC pads. Sorry about that typo.

shoeless89
08-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Contact LC

Mike Phillips
08-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Not sure why your pads are doing this but we use a ton of LC pads and I just don't see things like this happening ever... so what you're experiencing is definitely the exception, not the norm.

What kind or brand of backing plate are you using?

It's important to use the right hook for the loop in a hook-n-loop interface system.

:)

Dubbin1
08-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Contact LC, they will take care of you and replace the pads.

JRivers
08-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I also had problems with my LC pads... I contacted LC customer service and they are sending me a replacement. Good luck man.

DealerDetailer
08-29-2011, 02:12 AM
What kind or brand of backing plate are you using?

It's important to use the right hook for the loop in a hook-n-loop interface system.

:)

I'm using an Astro Pneumatic 4606 Hook and Loop Pad on my 7424XP

kimtyson
08-29-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm a little confused. I don't mean to hijack the thread so, tell me to create a new one if needed. I thought hook and loop was all the same. You mean there are different types of hook and loop pads?

Kaleb G.
08-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm a little confused. I don't mean to hijack the thread so, tell me to create a new one if needed. I thought hook and loop was all the same. You mean there are different types of hook and loop pads?

Some of them have longer grabby-onner-thingies than others. First time I heard about it was when the megs mf pads came out and they said that's why you should use their bp with the pads.

master detailer
08-29-2011, 09:42 AM
pad may be loading up with comp to much and grabs to much .Had one where the pad came off the velco but the pad was getting old.When they get old they will load up real fast and not work/cut real good.they get to soft thats when you know there no good any more for buffing.Thats when I use them for putting on wax or sealer.BY hand

VISITOR
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
was never a fan of the velcro extending to the edge because if you apply enough pressure you will get the concave effect in where the velcro isn't covered by the backing plate (this also happens with the smaller backing plate and 4" pads). i prefer the recessed trimmed in velcro edge that covers the backing plate/pad...