PDA

View Full Version : cigaertette burn on headliner

Pages : [1] 2

unclestu
08-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Hi everyone,
Has anyone got any sugestions for repairing a cigarette burn on the headliner. The burn is on the headliner right over the drivers side window. I see that there are kits out there for this repaire. Has anyone had any experience with using these kits? It is not a very big damage but I would like to make it less noticable.

Also how do I remove a ring in the matterial.? When I tried to clean the area with a carbona fabric cleaner it left a ring.

Thanks
Stu

Mike Phillips
08-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi everyone,
Has anyone got any suggestions for repairing a cigarette burn on the headliner. The burn is on the headliner right over the drivers side window. I see that there are kits out there for this repair. Has anyone had any experience with using these kits? It is not a very big damage but I would like to make it less noticeable.

Also how do I remove a ring in the material.? When I tried to clean the area with a carbona fabric cleaner it left a ring.

Thanks
Stu

Working on headliners, especially cloth or Alcantara type materials is really challenging.

One option I'll throw out there is to stop by an established brick & mortar detail shop and see if they have any suggestions. One reason for this is that production detail shop see a lot of all kinds of problems just because of the numbers they turn. This means they may have a been there done that remedy.

The problem with the portion that's burned is the heat/burning will have physically changed the color of the fabric, wetting the changed color with some type of liquid chemical won't normally un-change the color. Dying might work? You might also check with some automotive upholstery shops to see if they have some suggestions.

:)

unclestu
08-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks Mike

Mike Phillips
08-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks Mike

Then theirs the other option...

Equally burn rings or spots throughout the entire headliner and call it the very rare polka-dot option?

:D

Flash Gordon
08-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Shop around a few upoulstery shops. They can fix it for less then the kit would cost. Not to mention the aggravation. Plus, I'm sure they'll do a better job then you trying to do it on a first attempt

Equally burn rings or spots throughout the entire headliner and call it the very rare polka-dot option?

Funny ^

unclestu
08-25-2011, 07:57 PM

dwengier77
08-25-2011, 08:02 PM

thats great !!!! i will sell that as an upcharge for my "premium Clients ":dblthumb2:

Flash Gordon
08-25-2011, 08:06 PM

?

thats great !!!! i will sell that as an upcharge for my "premium Clients ":dblthumb2:

Funnier ^

weavers
08-26-2011, 12:31 AM
I have 5 or 6 burns on my headliner. I was thinking of taking a can of spray paint to it. I've spray painted fabric before with good results. I have some left over grey spray paint.

unclestu
08-26-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/autogeek/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/40115-cigaertette-burn-headliner.html#post526224)

Obviously you didn't get your job with AG based upon your comedic ability.
If anyone has had any experience with repairing this sort of damage your feedback would greatly be appreciated. However please keep the bad jokes to yourself as this damage occured on a new car and I am quite upset.

Thanks

Mike Phillips
08-26-2011, 07:52 AM

If anyone has had any experience with repairing this sort of damage your feedback would greatly be appreciated. However please keep the bad jokes to yourself as this damage occured on a new car and I am quite upset.

Thanks

Sorry Stu... no harm intended...

I'll stick by my original reply though that I posted in a sincere effort to help you...

One option I'll throw out there is to stop by an established brick & mortar detail shop and see if they have any suggestions. One reason for this is that production detail shop see a lot of all kinds of problems just because of the numbers they turn. This means they may have a been there done that remedy.

The problem with the portion that's burned is the heat/burning will have physically changed the color of the fabric, wetting the changed color with some type of liquid chemical won't normally un-change the color. Dying might work? You might also check with some automotive upholstery shops to see if they have some suggestions.

:props:

FUNX650
08-26-2011, 08:10 AM
please keep the bad jokes to yourself as this damage occured on a new car and I am quite upset.[/B][/I]

Thanks

In all seriousness, then:

As has been suggested (I say: bite the bullet!):
-Take the vehicle to an auto upholstery shop
-Order a new headliner

IMO....This will be more economical in the long run.

Note:
I realize that people are creatures of habit. But I've never understood why some people use their vehicles as a smoking lounge.....Especially a new one!
To me this shows that the deep down desire for a "clean" vehicle must be far down their list of pertinent vehicle care methods.

Bob

Flash Gordon
08-26-2011, 10:00 AM

Thanks

:iagree: We have a serious situation here guys. Enough of your foolishness :nomore:

Im the MAN

:buffing:

:Picture:

:hungry:

:laughing:

:hotrod2:

master detailer
08-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I have a guy that will put a new one in for me at my shop for 100.00 when there real bad this is the way I go. Its just me but time is money. then I mark it up 25.00. And they love the job

Flash Gordon
08-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Go to a high end used car dealership and ask a salesman who they use

You'll still be able to tell where the burn was. It just won't be so obvious