PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use modeling clay?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

dave0mary
08-23-2011, 09:49 PM
I tried some on my wifes old Mazda and it worked great! Just as good on a side-by-side (hood) comparo with Clay Magic, fine grade. NO difference. I just had to use DoDo Slippy Lube instead of just any old spray detailer. Not convinced? Then I used it on my father-in-laws red Chevy Equinox. NO marring; NO added swirles; NO issues. Why did I do this? It was eating at me to try it after I saw some in an art supply store @ $3.69 for 1 LB! And yes ... I did the plastic baggie test. I posted this on another forum and 1 guy said they are two completely different animals (detailing clay + modeling clay). May be so. Results and price are all that matters. Tomorrow I'm doing a black CTS and I won't hesitate to try it again. Purists may ban me for life, but ... Cheers!

Kristopher1129
08-23-2011, 11:04 PM
I tried some on my wifes old Mazda and it worked great! Just as good on a side-by-side (hood) comparo with Clay Magic, fine grade. NO difference. I just had to use DoDo Slippy Lube instead of just any old spray detailer. Not convinced? Then I used it on my father-in-laws red Chevy Equinox. NO marring; NO added swirles; NO issues. Why did I do this? It was eating at me to try it after I saw some in an art supply store @ $3.69 for 1 LB! And yes ... I did the plastic baggie test. I posted this on another forum and 1 guy said they are two completely different animals (detailing clay + modeling clay). May be so. Results and price are all that matters. Tomorrow I'm doing a black CTS and I won't hesitate to try it again. Purists may ban me for life, but ... Cheers!

Haha, interesting. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd be curious to see how many uses you actually get out of it though.

Hoytman
08-23-2011, 11:13 PM

Photo and/or video proof would be nice too.

ShineTimeDetail
08-24-2011, 12:31 AM
For my first 2 years that's all I ever used....And to tell you the truth I can't see any difference. The only reason I don't still use it, is because I keep getting stuff on sale!

Oh and Kris, I would use a piece only once and toss it...Its cheap enough.

Hoytman
08-24-2011, 12:43 AM
For my first 2 years that's all I ever used....And to tell you the truth I can't see any difference. The only reason I don't still use it, is because I keep getting stuff on sale!

Oh and Kris, I would use a piece only once and toss it...Its cheap enough.

Even on sale I haven't seen any detailing clay priced near $3 per lb. so how are you buying stuff (assuming detailing clay) that cheap? Curious...send me a pm.

ShineTimeDetail
08-24-2011, 12:48 AM
No basically I bought a bunch of dp when it was on bogo in January...I had never tried real detailing clay so I figured there had to be a difference. I do think that the clay may be a little harder but really not by much.

Matt
08-24-2011, 01:58 AM
That's pretty cool, would be great for those jobs that normally eat up an entire claybar in one go due to the type or amount of contamination.

Is this a synthetic modelling clay?

CEE DOG
08-24-2011, 06:33 AM
If this really works it would be something. With the utmost respect I have to tell you I will have to see this to believe it. I just can't imagine modeling clay would have the necessary abrasives and rigidity needed to remove contaminants. Instead I would think the contaminants would pull little pieces of clay off instead of the other way around. Is this April fools early? :)

cutter
08-24-2011, 06:53 AM
My wife has some friends in the pottery business, I'll have to get some of their clay to try...This sounds interesting!

Flannigan
08-24-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm with Corey. I find this VERY hard to believe. Even if I saw this in person a couple times I wouldn't trust it. Detailing clay has been used with great success for years. I think I'll stick with that to make sure I'm getting the results I'm after. In all honesty it's not THAT expensive, and even if you think it is, it's worth it to know that you are doing the job properly.

Harleyguy
08-24-2011, 07:16 AM
That's funny this question was asked on the other forum Todd gave the most detail answer with the concerns of using modeling clay . Here's the link .
"Michaels" modeling clay - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/auto-detailing-101/36902-michaels-modeling-clay.html)

Cooter
08-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Nice find Adam!!!!!!

kimtyson
08-24-2011, 07:37 AM
I believe Todd is correct. Detailing clay is made for a specific purpose, just as modeling clay is. They are different purposes and they are different clays.

embolism
08-24-2011, 08:50 AM
how about play doh?

Flash Gordon
08-24-2011, 08:53 AM
The clay will deteriorate. It won't work