PDA

View Full Version : can you make yourself to crazy?

Pages : [1] 2

05xrunner
08-22-2011, 09:15 PM
So i was out in the garage tonight..I was slapping on another coat of BlackFire Midnight Sun. So I had my million candle power spotlight there and I wanted to make sure I got the wax off since its dark out and my garage could use more light..Anyway i see there is a very very slight haze when i shine the paint with that light. Now it could be the brightest and sunniest day out and the paint looks like perfection..am I making myself nuts by letting this stupid spot light make me go crazy and think i should buff it out again. Anyone else let them self go nuts like this

Setec Astronomy
08-22-2011, 09:24 PM
You know, one year at one of the Poorboy's meets, somebody asked Poorboy Steve if he was going to come out with a polish like XYZ brand (I really don't remember). And his answer was something like this "why would I need to do that? When people use my polishes they stand back and look at the car in the driveway and think it looks great, they don't use halogen spotlights!"

Or something like that. The point he was making is people want their car to look good when people look at, and who cares what it looks like under halogen lights, people don't set up halogen lights on the car when they park it.

So, yes, you are making yourself too crazy, but whatever floats your boat.

andyo
08-22-2011, 09:32 PM
the car wil get hazy when to many coats of wax is applied. clay barring will remove wax and remove the hazing

kimtyson
08-22-2011, 09:38 PM
You know, one year at one of the Poorboy's meets, somebody asked Poorboy Steve if he was going to come out with a polish like XYZ brand (I really don't remember). And his answer was something like this "why would I need to do that? When people use my polishes they stand back and look at the car in the driveway and think it looks great, they don't use halogen spotlights!"

Or something like that. The point he was making is people want their car to look good when people look at, and who cares what it looks like under halogen lights, people don't set up halogen lights on the car when they park it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Good post Setec A.

Setec Astronomy
08-22-2011, 09:47 PM
:iagree::iagree::iagree: Good post Setec A.

Steve was just expressing his frustration about how in his opinion it was overkill to be checking stuff like that, I'm not taking sides.

05xrunner
08-22-2011, 09:57 PM
the car wil get hazy when to many coats of wax is applied. clay barring will remove wax and remove the hazing
:dunno:that is clearly not it

Jimmie
08-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Wouldn't it be more about you being aware, and the thought of the haze constantly being in the back of your mind. My OCD would have me backing it out for another round of polishing. So to answer your question, yes I can make myself crazy, cause it's probably good until the next detail.

05xrunner
08-22-2011, 10:16 PM
yea in my head I am thinking..this will make people think my car looks like ass..but you cannot see it under the sun unless your a foot away with a big spotlight

Trevor
08-22-2011, 11:03 PM
I think you can definitely go a little crazy, especially obsessing like I do over my 2 daily drivers. It is impossible to keep 2 black DD's in showroom condition, and 90% of the time I am very happy with them. Then I catch certain spot in direct sunlight from 1 foot away that makes me start muttering under my breath. I have to step away and remind myself that it looks better than almost any other car in the parking lot, brand new or old, and regardless of the price tag. In fact my father in law was here a couple weeks ago while I was finishing up a wash and he kept commenting for ten minutes about how the car looked like I drove it off the showroom. Made me feel pretty good. Clearly he couldn't see those imperfections that were driving me nuts!

C. Charles Hahn
08-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Ultimately what it comes down to is recognizing when you've gone past the point of diminishing returns.

Blackthorn One
08-23-2011, 01:25 AM
I think there is a difference between doing a car you drive and one that just sits in a glass case in a museum as a work of art. If it's a museum piece, sure, I can see how you would obsess over the slightest imperfection that cannot be seen under normal lighting, but for a car you actually drive, that same time and effort would be better spent on another car. If you obsess so much over the slightest flaw, you will be polishing your car constantly, and will just end up making the paint thin prematurely. Then you need to pay for a repaint. That is the ultimate destination of this obsession. If it is really worth it to you to have your car look perfect, and you are willing to thin the paint so much that you need to have the car repainted 5 times as often, then go for it.

tuscarora dave
08-23-2011, 04:56 AM

Steve @ Poorboy's taught me the same thing early on in my detailing efforts. He said, "Dave, you'll be seeing stuff that the naked eye will never see in direct sunlight by using those halogen lights and you'll over buff the paint causing clear coat failure down the road.

That was good advice and very true too. IMO using them just complicates something that should be rather simple. While using halogens can be an aid in doing great work it is easy to step into a situation where what you're doing is more of a liability than an asset.

Setec Astronomy
08-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Steve @ Poorboy's taught me the same thing early on in my detailing efforts. He said, "Dave, you'll be seeing stuff that the naked eye will never see in direct sunlight by using those halogen lights and you'll over buff the paint causing clear coat failure down the road.

I guess the bottom line is if the halogen lights help you get rid of the swirls you can see in direct sunlight, then great. If, however, as the OP states, you can't see the swirls in sunlight, but only in the garage with halogens...then you're probably going a little crazy.

CEE DOG
08-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Yes, you can make yourself crazy... Try LED lights while polishing. They will find quarks and quantum particles hidden within the paint long after you have perfected it. Im the MAN

alko
08-23-2011, 07:03 AM
I think I have an idea of what you are talking about...skip to 2:18.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QHljvm46Ek&feature=player_embedded]Porter Cable - How to remove swirls and machine wax your car with Mike Phillips and Bryan Fuller - YouTube[/video]

Look on the left side...is that what you are talking about?