PDA

View Full Version : No end to oxidation!

Njohc
08-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,
I posted up here a few weeks back about applying a lot of layers of klasse sg to a SS red BMW paint. Well, turns out 6 layers isn't enough! lol I neglected to put a cover on it for 1 day trip to the beach, and I came home to a partially pink rear quarter panel. I fully detailed the car at the end of June and it oxidized that quickly. I know that there is probably only enough paint left for maybe one more decent detail session. Do you guys recommend I detail it again and just go for a shot of clear coat? I really only need this car to last me until college (Im a junior in high school), but at this point the paint won't last me through this year. Its getting to be really frustrating when I can't even leave my car in the driveway without turning pink. Any type of suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks
-Tyler

kronos
08-20-2011, 11:58 PM
It seems that the clearcoat has failed. If it has, only a re-paint would fix it.

Allen Anderson
08-21-2011, 01:05 AM
:iagree:

buddhadog
08-21-2011, 02:33 AM
If you have a single stage red paint that wont hold a shine after polishing with a LSP then the paint is probably failing .Best thing to do is keep it out of the sun also if possible.

Single stage Reds are particularly prone to this.

CrownKote
08-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Hey guys,
I posted up here a few weeks back about applying a lot of layers of klasse sg to a SS red BMW paint. Well, turns out 6 layers isn't enough! lol I neglected to put a cover on it for 1 day trip to the beach, and I came home to a partially pink rear quarter panel. I fully detailed the car at the end of June and it oxidized that quickly. I know that there is probably only enough paint left for maybe one more decent detail session. Do you guys recommend I detail it again and just go for a shot of clear coat? I really only need this car to last me until college (Im a junior in high school), but at this point the paint won't last me through this year. Its getting to be really frustrating when I can't even leave my car in the driveway without turning pink. Any type of suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks
-Tyler

What year is the BMW?

BMW SS paints are very easy to make shine and generally fairly thick (yellows and reds for the most part)... How are you correcting the paint to bring it back from the oxidized state it is in? Are you just applying KSG on it? If so have you done a true correction on it? Are you doing it by hand or machine?

RTexasF
08-21-2011, 07:37 AM
It seems that the clearcoat has failed. If it has, only a re-paint would fix it.

He said it is single stage paint, there is no clear.

jfelbab
08-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Been there, done that, with my SS red 1991 MR2.

Once a SS paint begins the oxidation process, it's a downhill slide. The pace of the oxidation will quicken. I have had the longest lasting results using an oil rich polish (M80) to remove the oxidation, followed by #7 Show Car Glaze, then applying a couple coats of sealant (#21), a day apart, followed by a topper of Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (#26). This made the paint look like new again, albeit for a short spell, longer if you can keep it out of the sun or use a car cover.

It became a chore to redo this every couple weeks and towards the end, I just resorted to a weekly one-step with a cleaner-wax and my PC.

I finally did a repaint to resolve this problem, but I'd have liked to try one of the nano coatings to see if that would have been more effective than the sealant and carnauba approach. The nano technology wasn't available when I had the issue.

In my experience, only a repaint provided a long term solution. I could find no magic sealer or wax that provided any long term relief for this issue.

Setec Astronomy
08-21-2011, 08:17 AM
I finally did a repaint to resolve this problem, but I'd have liked to try one of the nano coatings to see if that would have been more effective than the sealant and carnauba approach.

Sounds like a job for Opti-Coat 2.0.

Njohc
08-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys,
So far it's just both rear quarter panels that are starting. Surprisingly the roof hasn't as far as I can tell. I plan to order opti-coat tonight. Once the weather clears up I'm going to do a test area on the places that keep giving me trouble. Dawn dish soap should give me a clean paint surface to start with right?

Setec Astronomy
08-21-2011, 12:27 PM
They recommend Optimum Power Clean for prep but as long as you rinse will I think Dawn should work. There should be no beading when you rinse. Make sure you polish it well so it's at its best before you Opti-Coat it.

Kristopher1129
08-21-2011, 12:32 PM
unfortunately with single stage paint...that's gonna keep happening. Polish it till it's gone! lol

I would just try throwing in a couple layers of sealant to hopefully prevent the oxidation from happening so quickly.

Njohc
08-21-2011, 02:04 PM
I have a question about the opti-coat. After it has cured for a day, is it still possible to put klasse sg or any other type of sealant on top of it? I sound crazy, but 5k for a new paint job isn't in a high school kids budget! haha I just thought with so much protecting it, even in the morning dew and sun it wouldn't have done that. Thanks for all the suggestions