PDA

View Full Version : Did the Megs MF system kill the Flex?

Pages : [1] 2

Rav777
08-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I have always wanted to buy a Flex and now that I have paid for my college semester I have enough money left over to buy some more detailing supplies. One being the Flex.
However, I have been reading up on the Megs Mf system and I have seen that most people have been resorting back to their DA polishers and setting the Flex to the side.
I have been happy with the MF system (on a PC XP model), but something tells me I still need something stronger. Any suggestions?
I have a Makita rotary and have 5 years experience with rotaries. Should I stay with the MF system, upgrade to the Forced rotation Flex, or just buy a new rotaty polisher? Oh the decisions.. :D

PAR Detailing
08-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I dont think it killed the flex but I have to say I use my traditional DA much more than the flex now.

If you need more cut with the MF system I did this write up about using the edge of the pad. I had great success with it. Give it a once over.

Edging the DA (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/39598-edging-da-game-changer.html)

p.s. congrats on paying for this semester of college :props:

fredcandetail
08-19-2011, 09:08 PM
I actually use the Flex more and I have both systems..
Here's why ... If a customer is paying for a paint correction I use my 9227 with wool and compound and then finish out with my Flex and white pad .. Now for regular details I use the flex and a white pad with my AiO and it goes WAY faster than with a traditional DA ... So nonetheless it's kinda on the back burner for now .. As is the MF system

CleanGene
08-19-2011, 09:11 PM
The Flex IMO is the best choice for 1-step AIO corrections.

rakkvet
08-19-2011, 09:20 PM
I bought a Flex a couple months ago. I hardly use it because I use a rotary and GG da.

That's going to change Monday when I start using it for AIO polishing thanks to fredcandetail and CleanGene.

Do you guys have a preference for AIO's?

fredcandetail
08-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah man you will see that instead of doing about 4-6 passes on the DA it will be around 3 so that saves time and time is money
Word of advice, buy the 6" flat 7/8s pad, they last and last and keep the product on he surface and not absorbed into it
As far as AiO... I use Megs 151 but also have just had amazing results with Malco Rejuvinator ... This product is bad Ace!

tuscarora dave
08-19-2011, 09:28 PM
The Flex IMO is the best choice for 1-step AIO corrections.
I agree. I tried the MF system and it worked well but I used too much product I guess and the pads separated from the velcro. I will buy new pads and resume my practice with the MF system but the flex 3401 IMO works faster than the MF did for me. No way that system killed the Flex.

rakkvet
08-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I just ran into a Malco rep locally so I will give him a shout.

Thanks.

Rav777
08-19-2011, 11:35 PM
I dont think it killed the flex but I have to say I use my traditional DA much more than the flex now.

If you need more cut with the MF system I did this write up about using the edge of the pad. I had great success with it. Give it a once over.

Edging the DA (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/39598-edging-da-game-changer.html)

p.s. congrats on paying for this semester of college :props:

Thank you! Yeah it feels nice having money for once. I read the Edging technique and I think I might give that a try as well. I like the MF system, but some paints just take longer to do with it. I need a stronger machine so I don't beat around the bush. Maybe this is because I have a PCXP??

I actually use the Flex more and I have both systems..
Here's why ... If a customer is paying for a paint correction I use my 9227 with wool and compound and then finish out with my Flex and white pad .. Now for regular details I use the flex and a white pad with my AiO and it goes WAY faster than with a traditional DA ... So nonetheless it's kinda on the back burner for now .. As is the MF system

I agree, I feel like the MF system is good, but it does have its limitations. I feel like it takes me forever to do a full correction. I never thought about AIO since I get asked for those all the time. If I can cut the time with the Flex then I will certainly buy one.

I bought a Flex a couple months ago. I hardly use it because I use a rotary and GG da.

That's going to change Monday when I start using it for AIO polishing thanks to fredcandetail and CleanGene.

Do you guys have a preference for AIO's?

The AIO I have been using lately is Poli-Seal, so far so good

I agree. I tried the MF system and it worked well but I used too much product I guess and the pads separated from the velcro. I will buy new pads and resume my practice with the MF system but the flex 3401 IMO works faster than the MF did for me. No way that system killed the Flex.

Glad to hear its not totally gone. The Flex has been one of those items that I have always wanted and since I am getting more full corrections soon and clay, polish, sealant jobs I want to expand on my arsenal and have more choices.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-19-2011, 11:49 PM

:iagree:

I even now use foam pads(let alone the MF pads) on my G110v2 over the 3401. It finishes better, IME.

Rav777
08-20-2011, 12:06 AM

I even now use foam pads(let alone the MF pads) on my G110v2 over the 3401. It finishes better, IME.

Mark, do you think I can see some more considerable results if I upgraded my PCXP? Maybe its the power that I am not getting enough of.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Mark, do you think I can see some more considerable results if I upgraded my PCXP? Maybe its the power that I am not getting enough of.
Roland, the 3401 definitely has a ton more power than the PCXP. However, with the 3401 and it's forced rotation, I feel like I'm fighting to control the polisher. I've always felt the PCXP was weak. If you can't afford the 3401, get a GG DA, it's definitely more powerful than the PCXP!!

Rav777
08-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Roland, the 3401 definitely has a ton more power than the PCXP. However, with the 3401 and it's forced rotation, I feel like I'm fighting to control the polisher. I've always felt the PCXP was weak. If you can't afford the 3401, get a GG DA, it's definitely more powerful than the PCXP!!

Thanks Mark! I called one of my friends who also details and he is going to let me borrow his flex for the day to try out. He is also going to let me borrow the 3403 VRG Lightweight rotary to see which one I like the most. I will eventually buy another orbital since I like to have spare machines just in case one breaks.

So is the Flex mostly used for correction or have you applied LSP's with it as well?

WRAPT C5Z06
08-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks Mark! I called one of my friends who also details and he is going to let me borrow his flex for the day to try out. He is also going to let me borrow the 3403 VRG Lightweight rotary to see which one I like the most. I will eventually buy another orbital since I like to have spare machines just in case one breaks.

So is the Flex mostly used for correction or have you applied LSP's with it as well?
That's awesome that you'll get to try it out before buying! I've noticed that using foam pads that aren't so dense(LC orange, B&S green) for correction, it's easier to control. But, I like using a few dense foam pads(B&S yellow, LC White, HT tangerine) and they run wild. :laughing: Don't get me wrong, I can control the 3401, it just takes a lot more than my G110v2/GG DA's.

I've applied LSP's with the 3401 a lot! When used on speed 3-4 with a really soft pad soft pad(black, blue, red) it's a joy to use! Problem is, correction should be what I enjoy the most using the 3401.

Let us know what you think of both Flex machines! :buffing:

PAR Detailing
08-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Thank you! Yeah it feels nice having money for once. I read the Edging technique and I think I might give that a try as well. I like the MF system, but some paints just take longer to do with it. I need a stronger machine so I don't beat around the bush. Maybe this is because I have a PCXP??

I use the edging technique on my g110 (not the v2) my pcxp and the GG. I grab my 110 more than my griots frankly. I also reach for the pcxp more than the GG. I dont think you NEED to upgrade if you dont want to. All of the results I have gotten that are in my write-up are from the g110 or the pcxp. I didnt use the griots partly because I wanted to show how serious correction could be done with the technique using a, what some would call, a "weaker machine".

I do too. I still pull the flex out for some jobs but I have found myself reaching for my DA's more with foam and the MF system.

I elluded to it above, but possibly but you dont absolutely have to upgrade. I think the PCXP is a very capable machine.