PDA

View Full Version : work lighting?

flyinion
08-19-2011, 03:26 PM
So I want to pick up some lights to help out in inspecting my results. Partly because the lighting in the garage at the house I'm renting sucks (one light bulb) and partly because I will not necessarily be done working while it's still light out. I'm wondering, when you guys use the lights do you just turn them on to look at the results, or do you turn them on the section you're doing so you can easily see what's going on while working? Here's the two I'm thinking of grabbing, what would you guys recommend as the best choice?

Twin Head 1,000-Watt Halogen Telescoping Work Light-627-449 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Tools-Accessories-Work-Lights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm8p/R-202066789/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

or

500-Watt Halogen Portable Work Light-509-953 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Tools-Accessories-Work-Lights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm8p/R-202071325/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

This light is apparently available in a 250W version as well for that second single bulb unit.

flyinion
08-19-2011, 03:36 PM
As a side note, I'm open to suggestions for other lights as well, I was looking at halogen because I see them mentioned a lot. Whatever I get needs to be local because I'm doing my detail this weekend (starting tonight).

acquickclean
08-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi there, I bought a 1000 watt craftsman unit similar to the one you are looking at and honestly it's still not bright enough. I work in a 3 window bay with garage doors on each side and 4 sky lights. I thought the tripod light would help illuminate the insides of cars on cloudy or overcast days but it barely helped.

I considered getting another (one for each side) but floor space is valuable and to light up interiors well enough the tripod has to be very close to the vehicle. (Accident waiting to happen.)

If you need something to check for swirls I would recommend something along the lines of a handheld spot light.

Good luck and post up if you find a great solution. :props:

flyinion
08-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi there, I bought a 1000 watt craftsman unit similar to the one you are looking at and honestly it's still not bright enough. I work in a 3 window bay with garage doors on each side and 4 sky lights. I thought the tripod light would help illuminate the insides of cars on cloudy or overcast days but it barely helped.

I considered getting another (one for each side) but floor space is valuable and to light up interiors well enough the tripod has to be very close to the vehicle. (Accident waiting to happen.)

If you need something to check for swirls I would recommend something along the lines of a handheld spot light.

Good luck and post up if you find a great solution. :props:

Yeah that's all I'm looking for is something to check for swirls/marring after I used a product and then maybe to provide some general outside illumination of the vehicle while I work on it.

Cat ji
08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Similar situation here. I have the 2x500W light. Used it for hours for vacuuming and applying interior stuff, and for general lighting when the car is partly out of the garage. While vacuuming, an accident waiting to happen, yes. It worked, served the purpose, but what it did to my electricity bill was quite shocking. I want to attach one or two fluorescents to the horizontal bar - something like I saw in someone's photo here.

Ron Atchison
08-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Hopefully my link won't get deleted but if so my garage store.com has just what you are talking about. But be sitting down when you look at the price.
National Electric Extend-A-Lite Under Hood Worklight - Lighting - The Garage Store (http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=796)

Also do a yahoo search for portable 4' fluorescent shop light and you will see another detail supply company selling them on a stand. Should be the second link on the search page.

flyinion
08-19-2011, 07:14 PM
nah not looking for an under the hood light. Just either something on a stand for the outside, or if it's better.......just a handheld recommendation. Anyway, guess I'll just poke around at the hardware store this evening and see what I find.

flyinion
08-20-2011, 03:06 AM
well I tried out the 500W single light tonight just briefly (put together and checked out the car with it). Must just be the light color of my car because I really couldn't see any swirls unless I looked at the right angle just like in the sunlight. Picking up the light I could look at the light reflection and check for clarity though. I think I'm going to take it back for the dual 500W model though for more overall light. Oh and wow, 500W is bright and HOT. Still open to suggestions. They had a large florescent based model as well, but it's a bit out of the price I was hoping for ($54). It also only puts out 300W equivalent (65W florescent).

flyinion
08-21-2011, 03:43 AM
Ok ended up with this Twin Head 1,200-Watt Halogen Work Light-553-143 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Tools-Accessories-Work-Lights/Workforce/Husky/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm8pZ1n0Zrd/R-202071329/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID) and I think it will work out great in the end. 76 inches max height tripod, dual unit and can give me 300/600/900/1200W light settings.

T.O.C.
08-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Ok ended up with this Twin Head 1,200-Watt Halogen Work Light-553-143 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Tools-Accessories-Work-Lights/Workforce/Husky/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm8pZ1n0Zrd/R-202071329/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID) and I think it will work out great in the end. 76 inches max height tripod, dual unit and can give me 300/600/900/1200W light settings.

for inspecting the interior pick up a rechargeable LED trouble light. I picked up a 62 bulb one from Autozone for $30. it's a great light. I also have 2 underhood lights that I use 1 is a 35watt florescent and the other is a 132 bulb cordless.
for exterior work if I need it I have a dual halogen light that I picked up from a gypsy painter. I believe they are 150watt natural light bulbs in them.

mark2dx
09-07-2011, 01:55 PM
How would you say the dual light worked out for you? I'm looking to pick up some lights for my garage as well and wasn't sure which one to go with.

My main goal with these lights would be to provide a well lit work area inside of the garage, and the ability to check for swirls if I bring the light down close enough to the car.

flyinion
09-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I think you could use it for finding swirls if you brought it close, though you may need to hold the light to do it and they're a bit awkward and hot as well to do that with. For me with the silver I can't do it and get the good viewing angle needed on silver to see the swirls so I just use the light for improving the garage lighting (which in my case sucks and it's a rental so I can't really improve it). I still need to find something, one of those LED lights I guess, to handhold and get a better look for swirls and such.

mark2dx
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm in the same boat - I rent and my garage lighting is horrible. It's nice for covered parking and applying product in a covered area during the day, but once the sun goes down my day is pretty much done.

I'll see if I can get a good setup from Home Depot, it sounds like it should atleast help the situation I have :)

flyinion
09-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Yep that's where I bought mine, the Husky brand with the dual lights on the stand. Each one holds 2 300W bulbs individually able to be switched on or off so you can get 300-1200W of light depending on how many bulbs you turn on. I used between 300-900 for an all afternoon/evening detail a couple weeks ago.