PDA

View Full Version : Megs MF DA System Problem

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tommythecat
08-19-2011, 02:40 PM
I am polishing my car for the first time today. I was done with the 6th section of the hood and stopped to clean the pad. Turned my GG DA on and barely touched the brush to the pad and it flew apart from the velcro. Anyone else have this problem?
:(

rwright
08-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Yes. Contact Meguiar's and inform them of your problem. Someone here said Kevin Brown stated there was a small batch of problem children. Don't get discouraged just yet, give them time to work out the bugs. :)

tommythecat
08-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Now I am just pissed. I went back to work on my car with the 2nd cutting pad from the kit and it just happened again. I even knocked the speed down even more than I did last time to clean it. Now I have a 1/4 polished car and no pads to finish. This sucks.

fredcandetail
08-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Gotta love Megs.... Been around forever but always seems to have issues with new launches of products... Back two years ago when they came out with the new DA I went thru 3 different machines !

highgrade
08-19-2011, 06:03 PM
my DA pads worked great on the first car. The foam between the micro and velcro seems to be disintegrating. I clean them immediately after use and let them air dry. I don't know what the deal is but it looks like the foam is going to last maybe....one more car? I did notice the twist in the foam and thought the pad would not make it through the job. I wonder if the pads are defective or if they just have a really short life?
Next to WG, I really like the Meguires product. I am bit of a loyalist...don't like jumping around to different products. However, I will if the product does not perform to my picky-nit-pickin expectations

jamores23
08-19-2011, 06:57 PM
I went through the same problem and I did contact megs and they sent me new pads but the same #### happen again excuse my language, but i find it necessary . I will continue to use there pads in there defective state if i get unlimited supply for free... NOW on the other hand ive done a few vehicles with just ONE surbuf pad. NO, it does not finish as well as the mg cutting disc but it is MORE aggressive , regardless of anything you should always refine your compounding process with a finer polish. it is straight up BS with these pads...

tommythecat
08-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I went through the same problem and I did contact megs and they sent me new pads but the same #### happen again excuse my language, but i find it necessary . I will continue to use there pads in there defective state if i get unlimited supply for free... NOW on the other hand ive done a few vehicles with just ONE surbuf pad. NO, it does not finish as well as the mg cutting disc but it is MORE aggressive , regardless of anything you should always refine your compounding process with a finer polish. it is straight up BS with these pads...

I contacted them also and got the same response. Sucks that they won't send out new ones until they receive mine. And I have to pay to ship them there...real nice.

For those of you out there having success with these pads...how many cars are you getting out of one pad? Could you explain your technique in detail? I followed the directions exactly and had this happen. Are you guys doing something different?

Feed back please

RaskyR1
08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
I still have one of my first pads in use from last December and I've only had one pad failure since then...not sure why some are having issues and some are not. Could be technique or it could be a bad batch of pads. Meguiars wants the failed pads back so that they can investigate the cause of the failure.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark58
08-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Are you guys with the problem using W67DA backing plate?

tommythecat
08-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Are you guys with the problem using W67DA backing plate?
Yes

Shane731
08-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I've been having this problem with my 3 inch cutting pads, less so with the 5.5 inch pads. Already sent some pads back, but the replacement pads are doing the same thing. The first time I sent them back, I was told that it was my fault, and that I wasn't removing the pads properly. Really guys? Really? Shoot, for something that supposedly took them 7 years to create, I would think they would be of better quality. Don't get me wrong, I love the microfiber system, I'm just pissed that their pads don't last very long.

tuscarora dave
08-20-2011, 05:19 AM
I spent the money on this kit thinking it would just be more DA aggravation (not a DA kind of guy) and my story goes the same as the OP's. Was going to get more pads and try again but now I think I'll pass.

row011
08-20-2011, 05:34 AM
This doesnt sound good at all,

I bought the Megs MF System Cutting + Polishing because it was always recommended. As soon as I buy it, I start hearing all the truth about the product.

I havent used my Meguiars MF pads yet because I havent started the polishing process.

I will be really mad if this happens, I live in Australia too so I cant see them doing the right thing and sending new pads to Australia?

Anyways, my feeling is Neutral at this stage until I try to pads.

So what exactly is happening? The MF Pad is falling of the Velcro Backing?

tuscarora dave
08-20-2011, 05:59 AM
This doesnt sound good at all,

I bought the Megs MF System Cutting + Polishing because it was always recommended. As soon as I buy it, I start hearing all the truth about the product.

I havent used my Meguiars MF pads yet because I havent started the polishing process.

I will be really mad if this happens, I live in Australia too so I cant see them doing the right thing and sending new pads to Australia?

Anyways, my feeling is Neutral at this stage until I try to pads.

So what exactly is happening? The MF Pad is falling of the Velcro Backing?
This was what happened to mine and upon talking with Rasky1 and Kevin Brown it seems I was using too much product. I also believe that turning the machine on with no load on the pad is a bad Idea. What I gather is that when cleaning the pad you should first brush the fibers do that they are not all matted together and then without turning the machine on , hit the pad with compressed air to finish the cleaning process.

When time permits I will replenish my supply of MF discs and give it another whirl but right now I am too busy to be screwing around trying to figure out a new to me technique. Getting the hang of a certain pad/product/technique occurs over the course of several jobs and can be costly in terms of destroying pads until you get the correct process dialed in. That's the reality of things and I am OK with that "If I have the time". This fall when things begin to slow down for me I'll give it another try.

Rasky is having much success with this system so I will be looking closely at his posts and trying to figure out his technique until I pick up more discs.

tommythecat
08-20-2011, 11:17 AM
This was what happened to mine and upon talking with Rasky1 and Kevin Brown it seems I was using too much product. I also believe that turning the machine on with no load on the pad is a bad Idea. What I gather is that when cleaning the pad you should first brush the fibers do that they are not all matted together and then without turning the machine on , hit the pad with compressed air to finish the cleaning process.

When time permits I will replenish my supply of MF discs and give it another whirl but right now I am too busy to be screwing around trying to figure out a new to me technique. Getting the hang of a certain pad/product/technique occurs over the course of several jobs and can be costly in terms of destroying pads until you get the correct process dialed in. That's the reality of things and I am OK with that "If I have the time". This fall when things begin to slow down for me I'll give it another try.

Rasky is having much success with this system so I will be looking closely at his posts and trying to figure out his technique until I pick up more discs.
The problem I have is that you are supposed to spin the pad with no load when using the compressed air...which is what they do in the video. Following the directions seems like what caused the failure. I was turning my DA down to 4 when cleaning the first time it failed...down to 3 the second time it failed.