PDA

View Full Version : need to black out

tag4car
08-18-2011, 11:12 PM
I got a truck in a future restoration and the owner wants to lose the white lettering on the tires, I've tried this once with Bondo/3M restore black, it did the job good with several applications but washed off after a trip through a tunnel wash.. I've searched up the topic before and can't find anyone pointing out a definite product. What so yall recommend?

Joey
bham al

Mobile detail
08-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Can you have the tires remounted? I know on my bfg they are black on 1 side white on other. I'll have to look but I had a product that took off the white lettering permanent ly.

tag4car
08-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I know I've seen a product somewhere that said permanent, I don't really want to have the tires remounted just for lettering.. I'm sure something exists out there

Dr Oldz
08-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Best and cheapest option is to get them remounted and balanced with the lettering facing inward!

PA DETAILER
08-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Best and cheapest option is to get them remounted and balanced with the lettering facing inward!
:iagree: hands down.

FUNX650
08-19-2011, 08:53 AM
I know I've seen a product somewhere that said permanent, I don't really want to have the tires remounted just for lettering.. I'm sure something exists out there

Unless the truck has been slammed almost to the ground, thereby blocking the "view", reversing the mount of rwl's tires will leave the 'whites' very noticeable...not a good look, IMO.

Way back when, we used DuPont's "Tire Black" to cover-up whitewalls, even mother-in-law 'curbed-walls'....haven't seen it in awhile, though. As with any product that was effective before the 1980's, the EPA probably had it taken from the shelves and replaced it with something less permanent. Rendering newer versions as useful dog pee.

The best remedy is still reversing the mount. But before you do, or have it done, contact:

-Ranger Labs...they have tire paints.

-Eastwood...try their brush-on rubberized undercoating.

-Wherever the tires are re-mounted they might have a version of "Tire Black".

I personally wouldn't use any products on the 'whites' unless the tires are re-mounted.

Unless you've already quoted the total price of the resto-job...add this to the total. Unless the tires are near the end of their life cycle...that's a different scenario. :)

Bob