PDA

View Full Version : Blended wool pads

AAE
08-18-2011, 09:54 PM
I just got my first bottle of the Optimum hyper compound and have been using it with a twisted wool pad. Wool is all I ever use. I have been having problems with the product drying fast and the when I add more to the pad to moisten I sling it all over the car then it turns to dust. After talking to several people that told me I need a blended wool pad. They said it will cut faster yet hold the product better and won't mat down like wool.

I like the compound a lot but hate the splatter and dust. I may get some of the compound 2.

Which blended wool pad should I get?

Kent

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
08-18-2011, 11:43 PM
I just got my first bottle of the Optimum hyper compound and have been using it with a twisted wool pad. Wool is all I ever use. I have been having problems with the product drying fast and the when I add more to the pad to moisten I sling it all over the car then it turns to dust. After talking to several people that told me I need a blended wool pad. They said it will cut faster yet hold the product better and won't mat down like wool.

I like the compound a lot but hate the splatter and dust. I may get some of the compound 2.

Kent

Hey Kent,

just curious, but you say you have only ever used wool pads...ive never used a wool pad yet..always foam and MF but from what ive read...dont you have to follow up a wool pad with a foam and polish to removed the swirls/haze left from wool pads?

Dr Oldz
08-19-2011, 02:10 AM

Kent

What have you been using? And you only ever used a wool pad...????? Do you ever finish after wool?? Which hyper Compound? Spray or standard? I find optimum compounds/finishing polishes to be some of the longest work times on the market. Can you please elaborate on your process so you can be further assisted.

AAE
08-19-2011, 06:01 AM
My business is mobile paint repair for dealerships. So, I don't have to finish things out like a detailer would. I would love to do that to a certain extent.

I get vehicles that are really beat up. And, I need to move fast. For several years now, I have been using Lite Finish from Malco and their wool pads. I am able to eliminate some pretty nasty stuff with that combo but I hated the sling. I lost a couple good accounts because the sling would appear a few days later after it dried and the dealers thought I just didn't care. The sling was near impossible to remove too.

I have a couple competitors that use products with a lot of fillers to make the car look nice and shiney. That really is what the dealer wants but I can't bring myself to do that.

I was turned on to the hyper sprayable and have fought sling, dry buffing and powder ever since. These guys then suggested that I use a wool blend pad because they absorb product better and will cut better. I have tried foam but really like wool for initial removal of deep scratches. Swirls really aren't that big of a deal to me.

My tools are dewalt rotary, at 2200 rpm with the Malco and 1400 with the Optimum. I also have an older cyclo.

Dr Oldz
08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
I use Hyper spray a lot and never have it sling or dust and I have used a bunch of different brand wool pads. You only need two sprays max depending on your pad size. Is it possible you are using too much product? I would suggest that you knock the speed down to somewhere from 1400-1800 for the Hyper Spray also.

-Longhorn-
08-19-2011, 09:52 AM
These my AG friend will become your new best friend: Lake Country Foamed Wool Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/foamed-wool-polishing-pads.html)

I've been using them for years. They cut quick, leave a nice finish behind (still follow up with a lighter polish) and I wash them in the washing machine, shake them out to get the access water off when they are done and the next day they are ready to go again. Try them out, trust me on this one you won't regret it.

TLMitchell
08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
These my AG friend will become your new best friend: Lake Country Foamed Wool Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/foamed-wool-polishing-pads.html)

I've been using them for years. They cut quick, leave a nice finish behind (still follow up with a lighter polish) and I wash them in the washing machine, shake them out to get the access water off when they are done and the next day they are ready to go again. Try them out, trust me on this one you won't regret it.

+1 :xyxthumbs:

TL

V3AutoDetailing
08-19-2011, 10:39 AM
So are you not wiping the cars off after you buff. You say you lost account from sling. Sounds like more to that story.

Why not use an aio product with a foam pad if you doing quick dealer jobs.

I would bet that your leaving all sorts of buffer trails and swirls in the paint by using just wool. Now it is possiable to finish wool down realitivly nice, but you said your self these are quick jobs

dad07
08-19-2011, 11:11 AM

+1 :xyxthumbs:

TL

what backing plate are you guys using with these pads.......reason I ask just bought a makita at a bargin with no bp.

AAE
08-19-2011, 04:46 PM
So are you not wiping the cars off after you buff. You say you lost account from sling. Sounds like more to that story.

Why not use an aio product with a foam pad if you doing quick dealer jobs.

I would bet that your leaving all sorts of buffer trails and swirls in the paint by using just wool. Now it is possiable to finish wool down realitivly nice, but you said your self these are quick jobs

I do wipe them down afterwards. However, once the slung product dries it becomes visible. As far as being more to the story, if there is, I am not aware of any other issues. At one place, the dealerships detailer feels he is a gift to all and didn't like me doing work at the lot so took it upon himself to complain. I never heard from a manager but he told me enough that he didn't like me. I can only imagine that was the problem.

As far as swirls, they were a problem but they came from their detailer that way too. I admit this is an issue for me, that is why I am wanting to try some better products.

What is an aio product?

TLMitchell
08-19-2011, 06:04 PM
what backing plate are you guys using with these pads.......reason I ask just bought a makita at a bargin with no bp.

I've used LC & Meg's with PFW, both on DA & rotary.

TL