PDA

View Full Version : Contact Cement??

Pages : [1] 2

JRivers
08-18-2011, 05:36 PM
After only about 3/4 of my very 1st polishing job, my orange LC flat pad came unglued almost completely (Velcro & foam).
Do you guys know if I can reattach these materials using contact cement? Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks

embolism
08-18-2011, 06:55 PM
what speed and machine were you using? I have those pads and they look brand new after 3 cars

How about a hot glue gun spread kinda thin?

Flash Gordon
08-18-2011, 07:31 PM
After only about 3/4 of my very 1st polishing job, my orange LC flat pad came unglued almost completely (Velcro & foam).
Do you guys know if I can reattach these materials using contact cement? Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks

Call LC and they will send you a replacement

BobbyG
08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
I think a good contact cement would be a good choice to try. I'd try a water based product as the solvent based product may eat the foam itself.

3M also has some decent spray adhesives that might work too.

JRivers
08-19-2011, 12:32 PM
what speed and machine were you using? I have those pads and they look brand new after 3 cars

How about a hot glue gun spread kinda thin?

An old PC 7335 at 6 speed...I was thinking hot glue may be to "stiff"? I dunno.
Thanks

JRivers
08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks Bobby, I was actually thinking to use one of those 3M spray cements for upholstery...I've seen my wife use it to glue foam to fabric for some sofa she did...I guess I may just give it a try...

Thanks Flash...I just think that some how it's my fault because being my 1st polishing job I feel I did not use it correctly or something...yeah I know, I have issues :D

kimtyson
08-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Maybe just chalk it up to experience. Not sure gluing it is worth it. Cut it into pieces and use it for application sponges.

JRivers
08-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Maybe just chalk it up to experience. Not sure gluing it is worth it. Cut it into pieces and use it for application sponges.

That is a good tip also, thanks.
I may just give it a try and glue it if it does not work out, well I'll be cutting some applicators...

Flash Gordon
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks Flash...I just think that some how it's my fault because being my 1st polishing job I feel I did not use it correctly or something...yeah I know, I have issues :D

I doubt it was your fault. You probally got a batch of those pads from last year that had cheap glue. They were falling apart on lots of ppl

JRivers
08-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I doubt it was your fault. You probally got a batch of those pads from last year that had cheap glue. They were falling apart on lots of ppl

Oh, did not know that...I may contact LC then, thank you for the heads up :xyxthumbs:

JRivers
08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I just wanted to show some pictures of the pad...as you can see only 1/2 of it got unglued...

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/isaacrios/Auto%20Detailing/Damaged%20LC%20Pad/DamagedLCpad1.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/isaacrios/Auto%20Detailing/Damaged%20LC%20Pad/DamagedLCpad2.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/isaacrios/Auto%20Detailing/Damaged%20LC%20Pad/DamagedLCpad3.jpg

NO Bueno!! :confused:

opie_7afe
08-21-2011, 01:37 AM
fyi most upholstery glues are contact cement...and should not melt foam...key words are should not...and yeah that's a manufacturers defect not user error, glue completely came up from pad and no bits of pad on the glue means crap adhesion, call up lc and get a replacement! best of luck to ya

JRivers
08-21-2011, 01:46 AM
fyi most upholstery glues are contact cement...and should not melt foam...key words are should not...and yeah that's a manufacturers defect not user error, glue completely came up from pad and no bits of pad on the glue means crap adhesion, call up lc and get a replacement! best of luck to ya

Thanks Opie! I sent LC customer service an e-mail...awaiting response :props:

JRivers
08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Just an update:
I did contact LC customer service and Eric Dunn from LC is making things right, and he will be sending me a replacement pad shortly. Thank you all for your input.

Thank you LC, I'm a satisfied customer :D

Flash Gordon
08-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Just an update:
I did contact LC customer service and Eric Dunn from LC is making things right, and he will be sending me a replacement pad shortly. Thank you all for your input.

Thank you LC, I'm a satisfied customer :D

L C has excellent customer service