PDA

View Full Version : Please help me out with some metallic suggestions!

Huff035
08-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Ok, First of all, hi. lol. Just signed up yesterday and this is my first post. I searched alot yesterday looking for info but couldnt find a real clear answer.

I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra SVT and I'm wanting to basically throw out all of my old OTC products and start with all new products. What I'm specifically looking for is stuff to enhance the appearance of the metallic in my paint.

Currently, I do not have a buffer but am open to getting one, I was looking at the Porter Cable but am still unsure about it.

I will most likely stick with my car wash soap (meguiars gold class) and my current clay (meguiars). Unless it is brought to my attention that they are horrible choices.

The paint on my car has minimal swirls or scratches so I'm basically just wanting to get a good polish, sealant, wax, something for chrome wheels, engine bay dressing, and tire dressing.

Here are some pictures of my Cobra, it no longer has the black wheels but I was trying to find a picture in my photobucket where the metallic is showing a little more. The color is called Dark Shadow Gray and I really want to get the metallic to "pop"

One on the left side of the pic
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/Huff035/2003%20SVT/74372_454736464145_731124145_5214940_1038404_n.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/Huff035/2003%20SVT/car.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/Huff035/2003%20SVT/59310_10150269906005603_667350602_14697196_1746497 _n.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/Huff035/2003%20SVT/299632_220842597963971_127397893975109_570545_2966 316_n.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/Huff035/2003%20SVT/untitled5-1.jpg

I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks! :xyxthumbs:

cutter
08-18-2011, 08:43 AM
:welcome: to Autogeek!!! Nice Cobra!!! My suggestion on a wax would be Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax will give you a deep, wet finish will exceed your expectations. car wax, carnauba paste wax, pinnacle (http://www.autogeek.net/pisisepawax.html) it is easy to apply (keep it thin) and buffs to a nice shine.

60IN3
08-18-2011, 08:51 AM
where are you located in pa? That one pic on the road with the rock wall behind you looks very familiar. If you close you can stop by and you can try the products i have. I have the PC so if you want to give that a try you can before you buy.

Chris
X 2 on the Pinnacle wax. I have see it on the mineral gray paint and it look fantastic!

CaneCharger
08-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Welcome!!! I was much like you a couple of months ago - I asked a ton of questions and did a ton of reading...

Look here for what I did with my silver Mustang...

Couple of points - after the Menz Power Lock, the next morning I put a coat of #845 on it. A week later I sprayed Dodo Juice Red Mist and it was awesome.

I am getting ready to Take off that and put on a coat Of Dodo Juice Light Fantastic Wax on it - it is made for light color cars...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/38772-2010-mustang-gt-silver-full-detail.html

c5z06camaro
08-18-2011, 10:09 AM
first off badass termie!! And i agree sig II makes the paint pop or the liquid sourvean too.

Huff035
08-18-2011, 10:31 AM
:welcome: to Autogeek!!! Nice Cobra!!! My suggestion on a wax would be Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax will give you a deep, wet finish will exceed your expectations. car wax, carnauba paste wax, pinnacle (http://www.autogeek.net/pisisepawax.html) it is easy to apply (keep it thin) and buffs to a nice shine.

Thanks! I have that wax wrote down on my list of the few possibilities that I found yesterday. So thanks for confirming that for me.

where are you located in pa? That one pic on the road with the rock wall behind you looks very familiar. If you close you can stop by and you can try the products i have. I have the PC so if you want to give that a try you can before you buy.

Chris
X 2 on the Pinnacle wax. I have see it on the mineral gray paint and it look fantastic!

That rock wall picture was actually taken in Virginia, but I'm located in Warfordsburg, PA about ten minutes from the MD/PA line. Also thanks for giving me a little more hope for the pinnacle.

Welcome!!! I was much like you a couple of months ago - I asked a ton of questions and did a ton of reading...

Look here for what I did with my silver Mustang...

Couple of points - after the Menz Power Lock, the next morning I put a coat of #845 on it. A week later I sprayed Dodo Juice Red Mist and it was awesome.

I am getting ready to Take off that and put on a coat Of Dodo Juice Light Fantastic Wax on it - it is made for light color cars...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/38772-2010-mustang-gt-silver-full-detail.html

I had actually read on SVTPerformance.com that #845 really helped bring out the metallic as well. And I'll look up the other products and check out your thread as well.

first off badass termie!! And i agree sig II makes the paint pop or the liquid sourvean too.

Thanks!

Would you guys suggest getting the PC or would I be ok doing it by hand? The only wax I've ever used on it was NXT 2.0 from autozone.

So I guess

Pinnacle seems like a def for wax, what about the rest of the stuff? Sorry for all of the questions. Just wanting to spend my money wisely and do plenty of research before buying anything.

Rsurfer
08-18-2011, 10:47 AM
If you want your paint to pop..you need to polish. Polishing is 90% of the final outcome of what your finish will look like. If you polished 1/2 of your car to perfection and put no wax, it will look 10 x's better than if you had not polished and put a thousand dollar wax on it. BTW welcome to the forum.

IOMCAMARO
08-18-2011, 11:07 AM
First I would polish it out with some M205. Then finesse it with P085rd. Then I would go with a sealant like Menz Powerlock (one of my favorite) or Blackfire Wet Diamond. Then I would top it off with DP Max Wax (a very underestimated wax IMO). This wax makes the metallic flakes pop like crazy. I use this on the orange metallic paint on my Camaro.

Huff035
08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
If you want your paint to pop..you need to polish. Polishing is 90% of the final outcome of what your finish will look like. If you polished 1/2 of your car to perfection and put no wax, it will look 10 x's better than if you had not polished and put a thousand dollar wax on it. BTW welcome to the forum.

thanks for the welcome and I'll keep that in mind. any polishes that you recommend?

First I would polish it out with some M205. Then finesse it with P085rd. Then I would go with a sealant like Menz Powerlock (one of my favorite) or Blackfire Wet Diamond. Then I would top it off with DP Max Wax (a very underestimated wax IMO). This wax makes the metallic flakes pop like crazy. I use this on the orange metallic paint on my Camaro.

Thanks for sharing the info! :xyxthumbs:

TLMitchell
08-18-2011, 12:09 PM
:welcome: to AG. Lots of Forums, lots of participanrs... many of the usual suspects are on most of them. AGO is a solid choice. :xyxthumbs:

I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra SVT and I'm wanting to basically throw out all of my old OTC products and start with all new products. What I'm specifically looking for is stuff to enhance the appearance of the metallic in my paint.

Currently, I do not have a buffer but am open to getting one, I was looking at the Porter Cable but am still unsure about it.

I will most likely stick with my car wash soap (meguiars gold class) and my current clay (meguiars). Unless it is brought to my attention that they are horrible choices.

The paint on my car has minimal swirls or scratches so I'm basically just wanting to get a good polish, sealant, wax, something for chrome wheels, engine bay dressing, and tire dressing.

I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks! :xyxthumbs:

Good thing, that's what you're going to get, "any and all suggestions". Product evaluation is pretty subjective. Everyone has their favorites and are ready to step up to the plate and recommend them. First off, there's absolutely nothing wrong with OTC products. Many of the products you see for sale online are also available OTC. And people have been getting satisfactory results with those products for years. I don't know if I'd be tossing everything in the dumpster for the promise of improved results from other products. As I just pointed out in another thread, a superior detailer with superior techniques can achieve superior results using average products. And an average detailer is going to get average results regardless of products used. Megs Gold Class & clay are solid and reasonably priced choices.

As noted in a previous response, your final results are governed by preparation before wax or sealant. Removing defects, swirls and enhancing gloss and clarity is where you achieve results. Waxes and sealants are for protection. Some will tout this looks better than that, this brings out flake better, that is deeper, glossier, etc. I must be cockeyed because I see very little difference in LSPs. Yeah, I can see the difference in a Zaino glare-like shine compared to a carnauba. But a high gloss defect free finish is what I'm into, not the nuances that may or may not exist.

I had actually read on SVTPerformance.com that #845 really helped bring out the metallic as well. And I'll look up the other products and check out your thread as well.

I've been using 845 for over 30 years. It's a "bright" wax/hybrid that provides a high shine, especially on lighter colors. I've used it on all colors with exceptional results. It is extremely long-lasting, slick, super easy to use and is dirt cheap at around $13 a bottle OTC. I've got $100 waxes sitting in my cabinet and have followed the herd and tried this n that. And I always come back to 845. Why do I want to pay more for less, IMO?

Would you guys suggest getting the PC or would I be ok doing it by hand? The only wax I've ever used on it was NXT 2.0 from autozone.

People on Meguiar's Forum love NXT.

I have an earlier version PC, I found it vibrated a lot at high speed. I now use a Griot's Garage 6" DA as well as a rotary. The GG is my favorite and one key selling point was Griot's Lifetime warranty. Only drawback is the included backing plate is 6". Most will agree DAs are easier to handle and perform better with a 5.5" pad. I've gotten rid of almost all my larger pads and now use 5.5 as well as 4 & 3" for tighter spots. Many get great results on light defects and swirls by hand. It's a lot of work. A DA makes things a lot easier and faster. And like all the other products everyone has their favorite.... usually what they bought.

You can collect polishes and different colored pads for every occasion until they're coming out of your ears. Been there, done that. For my money the best recommendation for the beginner is Meguiar's Microfiber DA System, regardless of which DA you choose. The compound is capable of removing serious defects or merely a light polishing, all contingent on pressure and how long you work it. The kit comes with a 5.5" BP, compound, finishing polish/wax and you're ready to go. Previously mentioned M205 works well with the MF pads, top with 845 if you're inclined.

Just wanting to spend my money wisely and do plenty of research before buying anything.

That is an excellent plan. You can spend a minimal amount and get excellent results or you can spend thousands chasing the carrot and get the same results. The more homework you do the easier it is to get confused by all the product descriptions and recommendations. Take your time, watch some videos, determine what results you'll be satisfied with. And don't throw out your current products. You might be surprised how good they really are.

TL