PDA

View Full Version : When is a good time to replace your PADS?

bigaizsosexy
08-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Quick question for everyone.

I was wondering when does everyone decide their pads are either not working efficient enough anymore, or it's time to replace them?

kimtyson
08-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Good question.

Kristopher1129
08-17-2011, 08:36 PM
I think the answer to this can really kinda be all over the place. There's so many different kinds of pads...and I think they all have their own way of letting you know it's time to toss it.

For example the wool pads I use have a built in red line...once it begins to be exposed, it's time to go. Obviously this is very different from most pads.

Also, it depends whether you have a pad cleaner or not. I clean my pads "On the fly". I don't have a pad cleaner, and I don't wash them. I don't buy pad rejuvenator or anything like that either. I use pad lube...that's about it.

I'm sure because of how I clean my pads...they end up having less of a life. But for me...I'd rather just have an abundance of new pads to just grab and use. I don't have much time to clean every pad I use.

tuscarora dave
08-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I can use a pad that is slightly tattered on a hard paint system with great results where the same pad on very soft paint will sometimes leave behind some marring and cause more work for me so as my pads get a little worn I use then on harder paint only and open a new one for softer paint systems.

There comes a point where a light cutting pad gets kind of soft and begins to behave more like a polishing pad and I may just use it for that purpose. When I start every job i do a test section to determine which pad, product, machine, speed setting, arm speed etc works best on that particular vehicle and I may not like how an older pad is working out and switch it out for a new one.

I sometimes (as I believe we all do) get some real nasty vehicles where the owner doesn't want to spend much money but just wants a significant improvement. This is where these old worn out pads come in handy so I don't throw pads out when they are showing signs of wear. If I did then I would have to ruin a brand new pad on a dump truck that I am challenged with making look good on a customer's tight budget.

Then there are the buses that I do from time to time. I will use some awful looking pads that most would have already thrown out long before on these buses. I typically buff out the gel coat with a wool pad then use a cleaner wax with a ratty old but clean foam pad.

It's kind of like when a $5 microfiber towel begins to leave marring on black paint, it then gets used for light colored cars, then to door jams, then to scrubbing or drying carpets, then to engine and under hood tasks.

Clay gets a little old then it gets used on wheel faces and when it gets too dirty for that I use it on the barrels of wheels before throwing it in the trash.

I'm in this to make money and not to spend money so I find a use for everything that I own until it no longer serves a purpose then it gets trashed.

Kristopher1129
08-17-2011, 09:02 PM
I can use a pad that is slightly tattered on a hard paint system with great results where the same pad on very soft paint will sometimes leave behind some marring and cause more work for me so as my pads get a little worn I use then on harder paint only and open a new one for softer paint systems.

Good point. I often save pads that I feel are not up to par for most vehicles. But I'll keep them just to bust them out on a real bad oxidation job, or as Dave said...something with hard clear. Sometimes they just become my marine pads for boats and such.

bigaizsosexy
08-17-2011, 11:36 PM

There comes a point where a light cutting pad gets kind of soft and begins to behave more like a polishing pad and I may just use it for that purpose. When I start every job i do a test section to determine which pad, product, machine, speed setting, arm speed etc works best on that particular vehicle and I may not like how an older pad is working out and switch it out for a new one.

I sometimes (as I believe we all do) get some real nasty vehicles where the owner doesn't want to spend much money but just wants a significant improvement. This is where these old worn out pads come in handy so I don't throw pads out when they are showing signs of wear. If I did then I would have to ruin a brand new pad on a dump truck that I am challenged with making look good on a customer's tight budget.

Then there are the buses that I do from time to time. I will use some awful looking pads that most would have already thrown out long before on these buses. I typically buff out the gel coat with a wool pad then use a cleaner wax with a ratty old but clean foam pad.

It's kind of like when a $5 microfiber towel begins to leave marring on black paint, it then gets used for light colored cars, then to door jams, then to scrubbing or drying carpets, then to engine and under hood tasks.

Clay gets a little old then it gets used on wheel faces and when it gets too dirty for that I use it on the barrels of wheels before throwing it in the trash.

I'm in this to make money and not to spend money so I find a use for everything that I own until it no longer serves a purpose then it gets trashed.

Good point. I often save pads that I feel are not up to par for most vehicles. But I'll keep them just to bust them out on a real bad oxidation job, or as Dave said...something with hard clear. Sometimes they just become my marine pads for boats and such.

Both of your answers were SPOT ON!! Thanks for the thorough explanations!!

bigaizsosexy
08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Here are what my pads look like.

Pad that has been used a 5-6 times
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/bigaizsosexy/P8170019.jpg

BRAND NEW PAD
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/bigaizsosexy/P8170020.jpg

Pad on the right is brand new, and pad on the left had been used 3-4 times
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/bigaizsosexy/P8170021.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/bigaizsosexy/P8170022.jpg

As you can see on the used ccs pads the dimples or indents are not as indented as the new ones. Will this effect the cutting ability, or is that what happens after a few cleanings?

CEE DOG
08-18-2011, 09:41 AM
This weekend I finally retired some cyan HT pads that weren't "cutting it" anymore. Speed of cut had of course diminished considerably after several uses.

I cleaned and cut them into 4 sections and they became applicators for applying product to trim or tires.

bigaizsosexy
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Yea Cee Dog, I am starting to think that is why I was having such a hard time yesterday with a correction when it came time to use my white pad. Also, I performed a two step paint correction yesterday on a Blue 2009 BMW Z4 Sport (335 motor/ twin turbo) and was having a difficult time cutting with my white pad on such light swirls. Time to toss her!

bigaizsosexy
08-18-2011, 09:46 AM
I dry my PADS in the Dryer inside a Laundry Bag. This should have nothing to do with the less cutting ability right?

Kristopher1129
08-18-2011, 05:03 PM
I'd say all those useds pads in the photos are definitely still good to use. The only thing with those particular pads is that they are meant to carry product further in those little notches. Obviously, the more shallow those notches become...the less product they'll carry. As far as cut, and polishing in general goes...those are still solid pads IMO.

-Longhorn-
08-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I'd say all those useds pads in the photos are definitely still good to use. The only thing with those particular pads is that they are meant to carry product further in those little notches. Obviously, the more shallow those notches become...the less product they'll carry. As far as cut, and polishing in general goes...those are still solid pads IMO.100% agree, well said.

master detailer
08-18-2011, 06:34 PM
when they take to long to do a job .This is a sign they are not cutting any more .you can use old pads to take off wax/sealer.When they get soft they just dont cut good.