PDA

View Full Version : Wearing out pads too quickly

Pages : [1] 2

veeko
08-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Gear: XP7424 with 5.5" LC CCS white, orange, yellow pads and Optimum polish II

I would imagine that these pads are capable of doing more than one vehicle. I seem to be wearing out the centers after a single vehicle and I am look for some feedback as to what I am doing wrong. When using these pads I am using them at a speed of 6. I have a feeling that I'm using the pads at too high of a speed and applying too much pressure. I'm essentially using the weight of the machine plus the additional weight of my hand palming the top of the machine, enough to keep the pad spinning nicely. At times I do catch myself applying some additional pressure when I probably shouldn't be. I am swapping between 2 pads and switch switch out one for another once I have completed a panel. I do also spur the pad every other panel but there's barely anything that comes off (using a toothbrush). I have been getting some great results however the pads aren't lasting for more then a vehicle.

Do most of the compound and polish products work just as good at a speed of 5?

Any feedback is good feedback.

Thanks
Lu.

embolism
08-17-2011, 03:53 PM
hmm, that's strange, I've done a two stage polish on my car and a one stepper on 2 others using the same two orange pads each time and my pads still look new

I use one pad for half the car, cleaning on the fly with a terry towel after each panel. Then I swap to a fresh pad and do the same for the other half of the car.

What may be happening is the act of ripping off the pads while they are hot is putting more stress on the glue than if you just left it on a bit longer, then swapped to a fresh pad, not going back to a used pad after it is removed.

Haven't done much polishing but those are my thoughts...

veeko
08-17-2011, 04:01 PM
thanks for your reply. what speed are you using the pad at?

embolism
08-17-2011, 04:03 PM
I use mine at 5 for correction with 5.5 in flat pads but I have a GG6

veeko
08-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Cool. Thanks! Anyone else?

bevans
08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Cleaning on the fly doesn't seem to work well for me. Maybe I'm not doing it often enough or I have crappy towels?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opie_7afe
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
you said you "spur" the pads, i hope your meaning a nylon brush not a metal spur, as metal spurs are for wool pads not foam,also ive seen people on the forums who use the nylon brush and it eats up the pads, its probably your cleaning methods...

bigaizsosexy
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Which part of your pads are failing? I am assuming your talking about the cut?

veeko
08-17-2011, 06:35 PM
By spurring I was referring to cleaning on a low speed with a soft tooth brush.

The centers of the pad is what's wearing out on me way too quickly

bigaizsosexy
08-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Come to think of it, I've realized much less cutting ability with my white pads recently. They are 5.5in ccs and I use my orange nylon brush to clean them, but I wasn't aware that they wear down this quickly.

embolism
08-17-2011, 07:27 PM
have you seen this post?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37538-burnt-backer-pads-2.html

opie_7afe
08-17-2011, 08:50 PM
i forgot to add the way i clean my pads is with a paintbrush with bristles cut down to make it a good bit stiffer but not enough to do any damage to the pad...works for me

bigaizsosexy
08-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Yes, but I meant the cutting ability of the pad not the burning.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
08-18-2011, 12:39 AM
I use a griots and usually polish at speed 4.5 to 5...i think your speed is too high...maybe cut down to speed 5 or 5.5 and im sure it will help.

that being said..i used flat pads most times. i clean on the fly w/a smally nylon brush i got from target in their car care section...works great. I do it gently and generally do it till the dust stops flying off it and if it gets overly wet ill wipe with a terry.

I had been using speed 6...middle of the pad got too hot...and tore the backing off when i went to remove it on a couple pads..that got me to going to a slower speed. Now your backing is ok but id assume the heat build up still transfers through the pad and that could be an issue.

Also, how do you apply your polish...do you do an X or do a circle in the middle or apply pea sized dots or do you 'pick up a bead'. For me i prime my pad then apply 3-4 pea sized drops on the pad...not directly center though..but moved out slightly.

rider9195
08-18-2011, 08:08 AM
I use a griots and usually polish at speed 4.5 to 5...i think your speed is too high...maybe cut down to speed 5 or 5.5 and im sure it will help.

:iagree: I only tend to use speed 6 when doing compounding or some heavy swirl removal. I think bumping the speed down to 5 will work fine.