PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Hyper Compound Spray

veeko
08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Gear: XP7424 with 5.5" LC CCS white, orange, yellow pads

I'm still relatively new to paint correction but I've been working at it when I can. I finally got around to using Optimum Hyper Compound Spray for the first time. The finish on my vehicle's paint was very poor and decided to try the spray compound using an orange pad and even a yellow pad to see the difference. I know I should have started with a white pad just to see but I didn't. I was using the pads @ speed 6 and noticed with both the orange and yellow pads I was creating a very cloudy/foggy finish. I did my section passes very slowly as I normally would. I managed to get rid of it all by following up with Optimum Polish II.

Wondering about a couple of things here...
-Is this normal for this product?
-Was I using this product at too high of a speed?
-Was I applying too much pressure?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lu.

TLMitchell
08-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Wondering about a couple of things here...
-Is this normal for this product?
-Was I using this product at too high of a speed?
-Was I applying too much pressure?

You don't mention the make/model of vehicle, perhaps it has a softer finish. Speed 6 is the norm when working with a PC unless you're using Meg's MF DA System.

You're using a compound, which is aggressive by definition, with cutting pads... one very aggressive. Hazing and compounding marks are to be expected which is why you usually need to follow with a refining step... which you did.

Personally, I got rid of all my yellow pads except for a couple of 4"ers for spot compounding. If I need something more aggressive than orange I reach for PFW or Tuff Buff wool. Easier to work with IMO and they don't marr the finish as badly as yellow LCs.

TL

veeko
08-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Good to know. Thanks man!