PDA

View Full Version : Second attempt at Family Hauler

NYCLR3
08-17-2011, 02:46 PM
This is my second attempt to hand wash, polish/sealent, wax my 5 month old Iridium Silver GL450. First time around I washed, griot clayed, z5'd and topped with 845. This time around I am skipping the claying, but wanted opinions from the experts on steps and replacements, this is what I was thinking:

Wash: P21S
Polish: P21S paintwork cleanser
Sealent: Menzerna Powerlock
Wax: 845

I am willing to subsitute any of those, as I have only purchased the 845 and P21S wash. Thoughts? Other products?

DaGonz
08-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I would not eliminate the claying step. Claying removes the surface contamination... if the paint feels like fine sandpaper, it has contamination.

Have you thought of investing in a Porter Cable polisher?

NYCLR3
08-18-2011, 07:49 AM
I have always been to nervous to purchase a PC, not something I really want to experiment with. There are few swirls on the car and this is mostly aesthetic. Would the paintwork cleanser prep the paint enough?

Audi X2
08-18-2011, 11:13 AM
I have always been to nervous to purchase a PC, not something I really want to experiment with. There are few swirls on the car and this is mostly aesthetic. Would the paintwork cleanser prep the paint enough?

I would not feel nervous about using a PC. There is not a huge learing curve with this tool. Plus with the resources on this forum and the ability to call AG and talk with a guy like Nick to get set right the first time a lot of the guess work is taken out for a first time user.

Once you use a dual action polisher it will be a revelation. The thought of trying to do minor swirl removal by hand, or paint cleaning will seem like you discovered electricity for the first time.

We all had to learn once, but I think most will tell you that the DA is not a tool they would give up and is not an option to live without after experiencing what it is capable of.

bobble
08-18-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd second the notions of not skipping the clay, only should take 30 to 45 minutes if done 5 or 6 months ago. Does the car get garaged at all?

Also maybe you can borrow a PC from someone near you or maybe a quick lesson.

The learning curve is not steep(especially if you already doo all this by hand), if you use the least aggressive products and pads you will be fine and frankly like others have said you won't believe how you've done this without one. It literally takes a fraction of the time and effort to do with a PC and the results are outstanding.

I personally like Klasse AIO as a cleaner over all the others and it works really well with sealants.

roguish-desires
08-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I also concour that you should clay the car for the reasons given above. P21s wash and P21s Paintwerk cleanser are both part of my regimen. Love how the car looks before applying the sealant or wax. I have also followed up with Menz Powerlock with great success. I've not used Colinite #845 however as I prefer more of a wet look associated with carnuba.

In short I love the P21s combo! You won't be disatisfied!

Keep in mind that this will not correct the minor swirls as a polish of some sort would be neeeded. Rrmoving light swirls by hand is possible but labor intensive and time consuming. I had done it for years before getting up the nerve to get a PC. Now I'll never go back!

NYCLR3
08-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I can't bring myself to get a polisher. Maybe I am sadistic, but I enjoy doing things by hand. The car is silver and has only been washed by me, so swirls are minimal. I thought the P21S paintwork cleanser would remove light swirling? You have to let the MPL cure for 12 hours before topping? What carnuba would you recommend?

2kredbb6
08-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I can't bring myself to get a polisher. Maybe I am sadistic, but I enjoy doing things by hand. The car is silver and has only been washed by me, so swirls are minimal. I thought the P21S paintwork cleanser would remove light swirling? You have to let the MPL cure for 12 hours before topping? What carnuba would you recommend?

The PC is fool proof, wether you are polishing the car of just applying a sealer/Wax application is cut in half!! Your arms and elbows will thank you, but more importantly your vehicle will look outstanding.

roguish-desires
08-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Well in my experience the P21s Paintwerk Cleanser helps reduce the intensity of light swirls but they still remain. ie. not alot of fillers. You might want to follow it up with glaze prior to the carnuba. When I use a glaze, I prefer CG EZ Creme Glaze which will hide light swirling very well.

As far as carnuba's go, I like P21S 100% carnuba, Dodo Juice Rain Forest Rub, and Royal Soverign.

Matt
08-19-2011, 06:18 AM
Yeap, if you really want to remove some swirls you will need a polish with some abrasive properties. The P21s paint cleanser will prep your paint perfectly after claying for wax application, but has no swirl removal abilities.

It will slightly fill them, but the filling action isn't the main purpose of this product hence it doesn't fill them that much.

I've heard that PoorBoys Black Hole glaze fills well although I've never tried it. The thing with fillers is that they wash out after a few washes so the swirls they hid will reappear.