PDA

View Full Version : OPC as Prewax cleaner

Mobile detail
08-17-2011, 02:16 AM
I think I remember reading somewhere on AG that OPC can be used to remove polishing oils for wax prep. Anyone know what dilution ratio to use it at? Does it do the same thing as GG Pre wax or an IPA wipedown?Feed back pleaseCan it be done?

WRAPT C5Z06
08-17-2011, 02:18 AM
I think I remember reading somewhere on AG that OPC can be used to remove polishing oils for wax prep. Anyone know what dilution ratio to use it at? Does it do the same thing as GG Pre wax or an IPA wipedown?Feed back pleaseCan it be done?
I've thought of that, but never really looked into it. Good question.

I've been using Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner.

Mobile detail
08-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Ah man if you dont know the answer mark, no one will. Your the OPC guru. Send like it should be able to work.

Chris Thomas
08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Both 3:1 and 1:1 are effective for this purpose, but either way needs to be rinsed. I spray a panel and let it dwell a bit, then follow with regular shampoo bucket wash, and rinse.

CEE DOG
08-17-2011, 08:30 AM
This is actually where I use OPC the most other than using it to strip sealants and waxes before polishing. I use it at 3:1 and of course rinse well as Chris said. Do not let it dry on the paint.

I use OPC to strip every car I am going to polish except for my Sky where I use P21S TAW.

OPC is great for stripping sealants and waxes and has served me well for removing polishing oils. However the after polishing step is starting to evolve a little with water based polishes and also products that are used to remove the oils without washing the car.

Depending on the state of the vehicle after your done polishing... for instance if you did not use a heavy dusting compound you can sometimes skip the wash step and simply use a product like that Griots offering or the CarPro Eraser. I haven't used the Griots one yet (accidentally purchased the one that has to be rinsed off) but I have been testing the Eraser product.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
:doh:

I thought the original question was to use OPC to inspect polishing results(like a quick IPA wipe down). I mis-read it. Not sure it would be used this way as OPC is suggested to be rinsed of paint. I use Griot's Pre-Wax cleaner for this.

Corey, as far as the product you purchased, the Griot's paint prep, that's the correct one for stripping waxes or sealants. If you wanted to strip just polishing oils on a test spot, or just generally clean the paint, it's great.

Mobile detail
08-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Your right mark, I want to know if it can be used to see polishing results. Chris thank you for answering. corey, thanks as well.

mg6045
09-02-2011, 07:50 PM
This is actually where I use OPC the most other than using it to strip sealants and waxes before polishing. I use it at 3:1 and of course rinse well as Chris said. Do not let it dry on the paint.

I use OPC to strip every car I am going to polish except for my Sky where I use P21S TAW.

OPC is great for stripping sealants and waxes and has served me well for removing polishing oils. However the after polishing step is starting to evolve a little with water based polishes and also products that are used to remove the oils without washing the car.

Depending on the state of the vehicle after your done polishing... for instance if you did not use a heavy dusting compound you can sometimes skip the wash step and simply use a product like that Griots offering or the CarPro Eraser. I haven't used the Griots one yet (accidentally purchased the one that has to be rinsed off) but I have been testing the Eraser product.

corey, do you use the P21S TAW straight when doing so, or do you dilute it at all ? just curious, as I'm going to be using it for this purpose this weekend. lmk, thx.

btw, great website !

kimtyson
09-02-2011, 09:16 PM
And it's on BOGO. Nice!

Mobile detail
09-03-2011, 04:26 AM
I know, it would be a great thing if it could strip polish oils. Even one more thing this amazing product could do...