PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Secret Technique I've Ever Witnessed!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mike Phillips
08-16-2011, 08:22 PM
The Worst Secret Technique I've Ever Witnessed! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/39818-worst-secret-technique-i-ve-ever-witnessed.html)

This thread here,

Just got hired for detailing *sort of long intro* (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/39788-just-got-hired-detailing-sort-long-intro.html)

Got me thinking about a Secret Technique a detailer, (of sorts), shared with me when I was doing some Mustang wetsanding work for a body shop.

Here's what he shared, his secret technique for dressing the dash. This was on a newer Mustang, like a 2005, or 2006 and this was probably in 2007, so it was pretty new.

Here's what he did... and when I watched him do this I was shocked but then it got worse...

He took the LARGE bottle of Armor-All sprayed it full force all over the dash, everywhere, the gauges, the vents, the buttons, EVERYTHING!

I was in shock!

It was a huge, wet mess. I thought to myself,

"I can't believe he just did that?"

Next - without missing a beat, he grabbed an air squirter and started blowing the dressing with high pressure air all over the dash.

Basically blowing all the excess into all the cracks, crevices, vent openings etc.

He blew it until most of the excess was gone and that was his secret technique.

I held in my disbelieve and laughter and made some type of compliment and thanked him for sharing.

It's still hard to believe what I saw that day and I'm glad he's never going to detail any of my rigs and I feel sorry for everyone that receives the Secret Technique!

:laughing:

60IN3
08-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Here's your (theirs) sign............:bash:

alko
08-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Here's your (theirs) sign............:bash:

lmao

FussMan
08-16-2011, 08:44 PM
got to love the old school guys

Kristopher1129
08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I actually knew a guy that used to do that, ha. Before I took over my shop...I used to work for the previous owners. They had a guy there that would do this very same thing. I can't count on both hands how many times he blew dressing behind the gauge lenses, stereo faceplate, and other things, ha.

I told him to stop doing it many times. He didn't stop until one time he completely broke a customers stereo. Unbelievable.

ShineTimeDetail
08-16-2011, 08:58 PM
HaHa Awesome!! I'm trying it on a car tomorrow...not mine of course! LOL

HardDog
08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
"things to not do" check.

Hoytman
08-16-2011, 09:03 PM
HaHa Awesome!! I'm trying it on a car tomorrow...not mine of course! LOL

Does Mr. Phillips's post sound familiar?

I think there were some that gave you similar advice in using a water hose on vynil floors. Never liked the thought of introducing rust inducing water in places it shouldn't be, but that's just me.

C. Charles Hahn
08-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Someone ought to have explained to that chap how much more money he could be making by using significantly less product to get the job done....

1MZsLastForever
08-16-2011, 09:23 PM
http://forum.i3d.net/attachments/offtopic-english/943219982-english-spam-thread-181148_triple_facepalm_super_re_the_most_awesome_t hing_u_will_ever_see-s600x480-89034.jpg

rakkvet
08-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Mike, with your permission I'm going to print that and post it up in the break room at work.

rakkvet
08-16-2011, 10:41 PM
I just remembered:

One of the secret techniques I've seen is putting wax on exterior windows to make the water bead up like Rain X. Of course that only lasts until the next rain and the wiper blades chatter across the windshield and start smearing.

I've seen people use hydraulic fluid to shine tires.

TLMitchell
08-17-2011, 12:24 AM
I've seen people use hydraulic fluid to shine tires.

Lemme guess, that's after they "undercoat" their car with used motor oil and go driving on a dirt road. (yes, there's still those that do that)

TL

roguish-desires
08-17-2011, 02:42 AM
Sorry late night long post!

Reminds me of a time when I was having some custom exhasut work done at a local shop. The owner was working on my car when another guy shows up with an older model Toyota. He apparently knew the owner of the shop because he flipped him a 50 and proceeded to pull into the unoccupied bay next to mine. The owner looked at me and just shook his head. The guy proceeded to lift the car on the rack, grab a can of black pray paint and began spraying the whole underside of the car. No masking or taping! He finished and did the wheel wells and proceeded to paint the tread portion of the tires and wheel wells. I was flabergasted and the shop owner must have seen my face because he came over and said this guy wheels and deals cars and by painting the tread surface the paint would fill in all the tread grooves making tehm look deeper than they were. The paint on the tread blocks that hit pavement would be worn off within a couple of miles before he sold it. He finished by using parts solvent on a rag and went around and hit the rocker panels to remove any obvious overspray. Whole process took the guy less than 20 minutes. Very scary that this type of "used car salesman" is still around.

Flash Gordon
08-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Sorry late night long post!

Reminds me of a time when I was having some custom exhasut work done at a local shop. The owner was working on my car when another guy shows up with an older model Toyota. He apparently knew the owner of the shop because he flipped him a 50 and proceeded to pull into the unoccupied bay next to mine. The owner looked at me and just shook his head. The guy proceeded to lift the car on the rack, grab a can of black pray paint and began spraying the whole underside of the car. No masking or taping! He finished and did the wheel wells and proceeded to paint the tread portion of the tires and wheel wells. I was flabergasted and the shop owner must have seen my face because he came over and said this guy wheels and deals cars and by painting the tread surface the paint would fill in all the tread grooves making tehm look deeper than they were. The paint on the tread blocks that hit pavement would be worn off within a couple of miles before he sold it. He finished by using parts solvent on a rag and went around and hit the rocker panels to remove any obvious overspray. Whole process took the guy less than 20 minutes. Very scary that this type of "used car salesman" is still around.

:applause:

Hope all that overspray didn't get on your car