PDA

View Full Version : I think I've given up...

jcarson112
08-16-2011, 06:55 PM
No matter what I do I never can achieve a 100% finish. I need to watch one of the resident pro's here and figure out your secrets. I took my time on the personal car today. It got beat up from the winter, swirls/scratches/water etching, and I took two days to try and get it all buttoned up.

I had some issues with the meg's MF system so I switched back to foam and some menz products. Test spot went well so I proceeded to hit the rest of the car. Pulled it out into the sun this afternoon and for the most part, I had good results. Doors (at least the upper portion) hood, roof and rear fenders all had what I would estimate to be 80-90% correction. However, the tailgate, bumpers, lower sections of the panels and the front fenders look like maybe 60-70% corrected.

I love to take care of my car. I love it to death, but sometimes when I fail to achieve the results I really want after spending as much time as I did it really makes me start to second guess whether or not I'm capable of doing 100% corrections :dunno:

Side note:

When I was using the PC7424xp and the Megs MF system on the prescribed speed setting of 4, I was having real issues keeping the pad spinning. On any panel that wasn't flat I could put virtually no pressure on the machine or it would bog and just jiggle across the paint. Does the PC have issues keeping the MF pads spinning at speed 4 or is mine defective? I was using maybe about 1-2lbs downward pressure.

bottlefed02
08-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Maybe bump the speed a notch to make up for the curves. I haven't used the mf pads but I feel like the higher speed will help keep it spinning on the nonflat panels. Another reason I love my flex!

Sent from my Samsung Epic

AeroCleanse
08-16-2011, 07:03 PM
I think you need to get each section perfect before you move on. Buy some halogen lights at your local hardware store, then you can see the defects more clearly as you work.

Flash Gordon
08-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Sounds like your falling out of love with your new hobby...

Porsche Pilot
08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
C'mon Jeff, don't let the car whip ya! Show it who is boss. You are at the top of the food chain afterall. Keep at it. Aero has great advice...lighting, lighting, lighting. Perfect a small area. Remember, paint correction is a marathon and not a sprint. Patience and practice, grasshopper.

Flash Gordon
08-16-2011, 07:17 PM
When it stops being fun, it becomes to much like work

S2K
08-16-2011, 07:32 PM
C'mon Jeff, don't let the car whip ya! Show it who is boss. You are at the top of the food chain afterall. Keep at it. Aero has great advice...lighting, lighting, lighting. Perfect a small area. Remember, paint correction is a marathon and not a sprint. Patience and practice, grasshopper.
:iagree: Take your time and don't beat yourself up. Sounds like you did really well on the horizontal surfaces and are having trouble with the most difficult areas. It is a lot harder to keep your technique on the low vertical surfaces than the hood or roof where you can stand and be comfortable. Do smaller sections, check your work often and take your time, you can do it!

RTexasF
08-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't think 100% (perfection) is a realistic goal for anything other than a full blown show car. Even then to achieve it requires a great deal of experience....a GREAT deal. I don't have it and those that are honest will admit they don't either. Get away from it for a little while and go back at it fresh. Lower your sites a tad and do the best you can after a little break.

Kristopher1129
08-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I think you need to get each section perfect before you move on. Buy some halogen lights at your local hardware store, then you can see the defects more clearly as you work.

I'm with Aero. It sounds to me like you are relying too heavily on that first test spot. Always check each panel before moving on. Cause, as you noticed...you don't want to assume it's all working out the same way as your test spot only to find out otherwise in the sun later.

Test spots are great to just get a basic idea of what route you're most likely gonna take on most the vehicle. But, that method may not work every single time, or on certain spots. Sometimes you just have to switch it up.

I think most professional detailers secret...is that they have many secrets! There's always something up our sleeves, ha.

trerc
08-16-2011, 07:55 PM
:iagree: Take your time and don't beat yourself up. Sounds like you did really well on the horizontal surfaces and are having trouble with the most difficult areas. It is a lot harder to keep your technique on the low vertical surfaces than the hood or roof where you can stand and be comfortable. Do smaller sections, check your work often and take your time, you can do it!

+1 here. Vertical surfaces take practice man, find a position that is comfortable for you to work in while maintaining/mastering your technique when working on vertical panels. Also as stated, as good as Megs MF system may be you can't expect 100% correction on a used DD, be realistic with your expectations based on the vehicle.

S2K
08-16-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't think 100% (perfection) is a realistic goal for anything other than a full blown show car.

you can't expect 100% correction on a used DD, be realistic with your expectations based on the vehicle.

Something Mike P. says that really helps me get through the rough spots:
"Taking your paint to it's maximum potential"

jcarson112
08-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Sounds like your falling out of love with your new hobby...

I don't know if its falling out of love so much as it is living up to my expectations of myself.

Thanks for the kind words. I do have halogens, however, when I plugged them in and threw the switch the bulbs popped on both sides of the lamp. :awman:

Thanks for the encouragement.

I don't think 100% (perfection) is a realistic goal for anything other than a full blown show car. Even then to achieve it requires a great deal of experience....a GREAT deal. I don't have it and those that are honest will admit they don't either. Get away from it for a little while and go back at it fresh. Lower your sites a tad and do the best you can after a little break.

+1 here. Vertical surfaces take practice man, find a position that is comfortable for you to work in while maintaining/mastering your technique when working on vertical panels. Also as stated, as good as Megs MF system may be you can't expect 100% correction on a used DD, be realistic with your expectations based on the vehicle.

Thanks for putting my thoughts in line. As I said earlier I tend to hold myself to high expectations. When the woman got home from work today she wanted to know what was wrong with what I did and when I pointed it out she didn't really notice. She also mirrored your thoughts about a DD. I guess I just wanted it as good as possible before the opticoat.

Something Mike P. says that really helps me get through the rough spots:
"Taking your paint to it's maximum potential"

Well said I will have to remember these when I head back out the the garage.

Anyone have tips for polishing REALLY curved areas? One area I can think will give me problems tomorrow is the rear bumper. On both sides of the car it has a curved radius about the same as a CD.