PDA

View Full Version : Need help on an OTC product....

chaotik
08-16-2011, 06:27 PM
OK...my boss at work has a Peterbilt show truck that I wash and take care of on a monthly basis.

Its getting ready to go to Dallas next Monday to the Great American Trucking Show at the end of that same week. It was sent to a very good body shop to be buffed out and the plan was to use some Blackfire Wet Diamond on it when it got back. It came back, but was informed that some it had to be repainted. So..now I cant use a sealant . But I now dont have time to order anything online either.

I live in the Chicago area, and am looking for an answer on what I should use to give the biggest pop...but still be safe for the fresh paint. The truck is a metallic black.

THANKS for the help!!

MIKE

maximus20895
08-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Why can't you use a sealant?

Jimmie
08-16-2011, 06:53 PM
3M Imperial Hand Glaze will work, but best to warn you it is very difficult to remove.
3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a gentle moisturizer, especially for beautifying freshly painted surfaces! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mimhanglaz.html)

trerc
08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Why can't you use a sealant?

You can use sealant on paint that hasn't cured, most shops will tell you to wait at least 4 weeks for the new clear to gas out.

3M Imperial Hand Glaze will work, but best to warn you it is very difficult to remove.
3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a gentle moisturizer, especially for beautifying freshly painted surfaces! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mimhanglaz.html)

You got that right, Imperial Hand Glaze is a wonderful product but a REAL pita! lol With that said I would also recommend 3M Imperial hand glaze. It can be found at some walmarts in the auto body section but most box auto parts shops carry it too.

Hoytman
08-16-2011, 08:00 PM
I think your best advice would be to contact the resident pro here at autogeek. None other than Mike Phillips himself. I'd venture to say that he's got as much or more experience than any other person on this forum. He didn't get his job by not knowing what he's talking about. Just my .02! Shoot him a private message.

Dr Oldz
08-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Megs #7 is the product you are looking for. It will make the paint look great and is still safe for fresh paint. It doesn't add any protective qualities tho, so when the paint is fully cured you will have to use a protection product of your choice. Can be found in most auto parts stores in the 12 dollar range.

forrest@mothers
08-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Use a glaze, but I doubt it will last from Chicago to Dallas and a wash when it gets there.

FUNX650
08-16-2011, 10:32 PM

:iagree: Even though the removal may be tenuous, the resulting high gloss results (DOI) is utterly breathtaking on "fresh" paint. And the good news keeps coming...You can apply it as often as you want until the paint has cured. After the paint has cured, you can use it as a prep step before applying, for protection purposes, a wax/sealant/coating, if so desired.

Or, after the paint has cured, another option I like that is 'easier' to remove (see Mike Phillips' write-up)...Meg's #7 Show Car Polish (a pure polish if there ever was one).

Good luck to you guys at the Big Show!

Bob

chaotik
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Seems as if the hand glaze is the way to go!!

What's best method of application and removal? Need to know since removal seems to be the problem. Any do's and don'ts?

TLMitchell
08-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Or, after the paint has cured, another option I like that is 'easier' to remove (see Mike Phillips' write-up)...Meg's #7 Show Car Polish (a pure polish if there ever was one).

Seems as if the hand glaze is the way to go!!

IIRC, the description for Meg's #5 used to say it was specifically for new cars and fresh, uncured paint. It's gotta be easier to work with than 3M Hand Glaze...... one of the few products I ever threw in the garbage instead of passing it on.

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #5 New Car Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/menewcargl5.html)

I'm betting Mike Phillips can shed some light on this product.

TL

brawl
08-17-2011, 06:47 PM
I used OCW on a week old paint.It's been five months and nothing bad happened to the paint. (So far and as far as I know.). I can't guarantee that it will work for you though.

Dr. G, the owner and chemist of Optimum, recommends OCW for fresh paint. I think that he wouldn't compromise his and his company's reputation for few sales of OCW. Thus, my use of OCW on fresh paint.