PDA

View Full Version : Opti-coat 2.0 on fresh paint questions

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
08-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey guys,

i recently had a guy contact me inquiring about having me apply opti coat to his Camaro.
Ive never used opti, but have read several threads on it and have an idea of how it works and a general idea of how to apply it...but heres the thing

This car is just getting back from the paint booth. The owner wants to have the car protected with Opti asap, but I've always heard to have a 30 day cure time at least.

Any thoughts?

Also the painter is unfamiliar with opti-coat...but recommended applying an acrylic sealant ON TOP of opti..the owner asked my thoughts and i said i believed it would be like wearing a football helmet and then putting a pillow on top of the helmet to help protect your head lol. But i want to make sure i am correct in thinking that other than adding slickness and maybe some shine...that a wax or sealant on top of opti doesn't add any extra protection worth noting.

Thanks all

IOMCAMARO
08-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Hey guys,

i recently had a guy contact me inquiring about having me apply opti coat to his Camaro.
Ive never used opti, but have read several threads on it and have an idea of how it works and a general idea of how to apply it...but heres the thing

This car is just getting back from the paint booth. The owner wants to have the car protected with Opti asap, but I've always heard to have a 30 day cure time at least.

Any thoughts?

Also the painter is unfamiliar with opti-coat...but recommended applying an acrylic sealant ON TOP of opti..the owner asked my thoughts and i said i believed it would be like wearing a football helmet and then putting a pillow on top of the helmet to help protect your head lol. But i want to make sure i am correct in thinking that other than adding slickness and maybe some shine...that a wax or sealant on top of opti doesn't add any extra protection worth noting.

Thanks all

Once a car is repainted, unless it is baked, it is best to let the paint cure for at LEAST 30 days. My body shop recommends 30 days even if the car is baked and 90 days if it isn't baked. This might be a little excessive, but it is better to be safe then sorry. I have never used Opti-Coat, but I have other coatings. I would make sure that the coating has cured completely before I topped it with anything. And the sealant or wax won't last as long because it doesn't bond well with a coating like it does a clear coat. IMO it is a waste unless he just wants a different look or he wants more beading instead of sheeting.

Dr Oldz
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
I would suggest 90 days to allow the paint to properly and FULLY outgas. OC doesn't need to be topped and chances are that whatever you put on top of it will not adhere too well. OC has some amazing qualities and I am sure your client will be happy with the results.

Mike Phillips
08-16-2011, 12:49 PM
You'll find a handful of people in the forum world that will argue it's okay to seal fresh paint before 30 days on just about any auto related discussion forum.

I've never read or heard of a single paint manufacture that states their official recommendation is before 30 days.

So you can listen to a forum member or a paint manufacture, your choice.

I've also never seen a new paint job fail because it was sealed before 30 days.

My question is always... what's the hurry? If a person with a brand new paint job on the entire car is going to instantly put the car back into service then a person might consider giving the paint an extra layer of protection but if it were me I would wait till 30 days passed just to be careful because chances are nothing bad is going to happen anyway.

Isn't that at least one of the ideas behind waxing any car, new paint or old paint, to protect it from something bad happening? Modern clear coats are pretty touch to start with.

Send your friend the link to this article,

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/26967-don-t-wax-your-car-least-30-days.html)

Educate your customer and make your recommendation, then follow through.

:)

Chris Thomas
08-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I personally would wait 30 days and regardless of the condition, I would at least do a Finish polish before application, check for nibs, holograms, sanding marks, etc.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
08-16-2011, 06:13 PM
You'll find a handful of people in the forum world that will argue it's okay to seal fresh paint before 30 days on just about any auto related discussion forum.

I've never read or heard of a single paint manufacture that states their official recommendation is before 30 days.

So you can listen to a forum member or a paint manufacture, your choice.

I've also never seen a new paint job fail because it was sealed before 30 days.

My question is always... what's the hurry? If a person with a brand new paint job on the entire car is going to instantly put the car back into service then a person might consider giving the paint an extra layer of protection but if it were me I would wait till 30 days passed just to be careful because chances are nothing bad is going to happen anyway.

Isn't that at least one of the ideas behind waxing any car, new paint or old paint, to protect it from something bad happening? Modern clear coats are pretty touch to start with.

Send your friend the link to this article,

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/26967-don-t-wax-your-car-least-30-days.html)

Educate your customer and make your recommendation, then follow through.

:)

Ill do that Mike. I told him rather safe than sorry...and i dont want a mess on my hands and to get blamed for something going wrong ya know? He seems like he's pretty patient so i'm sure he'll listen to reason. He's been doing more questioning than anything...not like he's telling me 'this is how i want it done' ya know?

thanks for the link

I personally would wait 30 days and regardless of the condition, I would at least do a Finish polish before application, check for nibs, holograms, sanding marks, etc.

Yeah i'm very cautious of post-paint detailers. Some are good don't get me wrong but I'll for sure examine the paint and make sure its perfect before applying OC.

So after the polish is done that is when the IPA wipe down is needed (or use the Optimum cleaner ...sorry the name escapes me right now)..then check to be sure no water beading is going on and then go on and apply the OC correct?

Just a note, i live in Az...we're lookin at close to 110 degree days every day for the next cpl months still...any precautions that you'd advise me on Chris while applying in this heat?

Chris Thomas
08-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Heat just means smaller sections and move a little quicker as it will flash faster. Don't apply in direct sunlight. Instead of wiping on then looking for high spots, just rub it in till it disappears the stop when you feel the applicator stop sliding and check for high spots before going to the next panels.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
08-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Heat just means smaller sections and move a little quicker as it will flash faster. Don't apply in direct sunlight. Instead of wiping on then looking for high spots, just rub it in till it disappears the stop when you feel the applicator stop sliding and check for high spots before going to the next panels.

I knew the part about not doing it in direct sunlight. So after i apply and check for high spots (do you think using a brinkmann light or a halogen light would work best for checking for high spots)...if i see some, just gently rub the applicator back over that area to even it out?

Chris Thomas
08-18-2011, 11:51 PM
The brinkman will help but looking from many different angles is the key.

---
- Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
08-19-2011, 12:01 AM
The brinkman will help but looking from many different angles is the key.

---

ya i know ill be circling the car like a shark..ive got my sis with me too so that'll be a couple sets of eyes. Any recommendation on what order to apply it? I figured paint first from top to bottom..then trim and finish with rims. I'm unsure whether or not to do windows or windshield...?

Chris Thomas
08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
It doesn't matter where you start since you have to do it all. As far as the windshield, thats up to you. I have it on mine, but Optimum's official stance advises not to.

---