PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody used DODO Wax like this

Pages : [1] 2

CaneCharger
08-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I was going to get Dodo Juice Diamond White hard wax and also Dodo Juice Light Fantastic soft wax...

I was going to put a coat of the hard wax and then come back and put a coat of soft wax on...

Has anybody done this? Also, could I wait just an hour to put the soft wax on???

Thanks,
Jeff

Lasthope05
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
I would just get one or the other. They are the same exact product besides being soft and hard. Neither has more durability or better looks over the other. Dodo juice themselves have said they have hard and soft waxes to cater to peoples favored application process, hand(soft) and applicator(hard).

05xrunner
08-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Autogeek doesnt seem to have it anymore..but DodoJuice already has a product called Double wax..it comes with a hard and soft wax that you apply just that same way

CaneCharger
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
I would just get one or the other. They are the same exact product besides being soft and hard. Neither has more durability or better looks over the other. Dodo juice themselves have said they have hard and soft waxes to cater to peoples favored application process, hand(soft) and applicator(hard).

Interesting...They say for a deeper gloss, put the soft on after the hard:

Can’t decide between hard or soft waxes? Use Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax as a base coat. Then apply one of Dodo’s soft waxes, like Light Fantastic on top to achieve a deeper gloss.

I would like to save $69.99, because I would get the soft wax...I could use the $69.99 for other products!

Dr Oldz
08-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I have done it many times. I would suggest that you wait 12 hours before the application of the soft wax. Is there a difference in looks?????..... that is for you to decide but a second coat certainly won't hurt anything. I personally think the soft waxes have a touch wetter look perhaps due to the extra oils or what not in them.

Lasthope05
08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Interesting...They say for a deeper gloss, put the soft on after the hard:

Can’t decide between hard or soft waxes? Use Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax as a base coat. Then apply one of Dodo’s soft waxes, like Light Fantastic on top to achieve a deeper gloss.

I would like to save $69.99, because I would get the soft wax...I could use the $69.99 for other products!

The reply is straight from Dom.

DODO JUICE FORUMS :: View topic - Soft wax, hard wax? Hmm... (http://www.dodojuice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9187&sid=2fe7ab808f739d254be361ae4ebb90a6)

Here's another...

Right, sorry for the delay in response, i try to follow as many threads in as many forums as possible but will inevitably miss some. but now i have seen it (thanks Mike) i will give you my best shot at an answer:

in the Core Eight there are 4 soft and 4 hard waxes. the difference in these waxes is simply the firmness of the waxes themselves. the main reason for creating a set of each is to cater for the different application methods; by finger/palm or by foam applicator. the finish of the like for like soft to hard wax will be much the same on the paint.

what i would say is that it is more difficult to apply a thin and consistant layer by finger/palm without practice, in comparison to by foam applicator. that is why we have always advised to put a hard wax on before a soft wax if both should be used. it is always recommended to put 2 layers on with at least an hour or two of curing between in order to get best coverage. with two layers on the car you will get 2-3 months of durability with a good maintenance regime.

as for the colour of your cars, it is important to know that any of our waxes can be put on any colour car. although specifically, Rainforest Rub (soft) and Hard Candy (hard) are made to suit any colours, the other colour charged waxes will not 'change the colour of your car once buffed'. however, there are slight differences in the colour of the ingredients and subtle formulaic changes which will subjectively enhance the colours they are developed for.

so for a dark car, if you wanted to go with finger/palm application i would go for Purple Haze or Blue Velvet, if you prefer to use a foam applicator. you can use the same waxes on the white car, will get good results but will not have quite the same gloss and shine as with Light Fantastic or Diamond White.

hope this makes sense. 8)

CaneCharger
08-16-2011, 11:22 AM
I have done it many times. I would suggest that you wait 12 hours before the application of the soft wax. Is there a difference in looks?????..... that is for you to decide but a second coat certainly won't hurt anything. I personally think the soft waxes have a touch wetter look perhaps due to the extra oils or what not in them.

Jim - do you think I could achieve the same "looks" from two coats of the soft wax as opposed to a layer of a Hard Wax then Soft Wax?

CaneCharger
08-16-2011, 11:24 AM
The reply is straight from Dom.

DODO JUICE FORUMS :: View topic - Soft wax, hard wax? Hmm... (http://www.dodojuice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9187&sid=2fe7ab808f739d254be361ae4ebb90a6)

Oh man, thanks for that link!!!!

Scott DeBrun
08-16-2011, 11:25 AM
That's a great idea Cane, I have done that method many times and the soft wax does give the paint a warmer glow plus the added protection would be a good plus. Wait at least one hour and also pay attention to temps and humidity. I have noticed that Dodo gets finicky over 87 degrees when the humidity and dew points are high.

Dr Oldz
08-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Jim - do you think I could achieve the same "looks" from two coats of the soft wax as opposed to a layer of a Hard Wax then Soft Wax?

I would guess Yes. I like the soft waxes a lot but application is a bit different than most standard waxes. I have used the soft wax by bare hand application the last time I did my truck and really enjoyed that process.

Scott DeBrun
08-16-2011, 11:31 AM
In my opinion the hard waxes give a laser type of look to the paint and when the soft wax is applied it gives the paint the warm glow of carnuaba but doesn't diminish the clarity of the hard wax.

Lasthope05
08-16-2011, 11:35 AM
All I know is I have both hard as soft versions of rainforest rub/hard candy, purple haze/blue velvet and I see very little to almost no difference between the two. Thank god I only got the samples of hard candy and blue velvet. The differences you are seeing are in your heads.

in the Core Eight there are 4 soft and 4 hard waxes. the difference in these waxes is simply the firmness of the waxes themselves. the main reason for creating a set of each is to cater for the different application methods; by finger/palm or by foam applicator. the finish of the like for like soft to hard wax will be much the same on the paint.

Scott DeBrun
08-16-2011, 11:39 AM
All I know is I have both hard as soft versions of rainforest rub/hard candy, purple haze/blue velvet and I see very little to almost no difference between the two. Thank god I only got the samples of hard candy and blue velvet.
Personally I can tell the difference but I'm sure it's different with everybody. Dodo waxes are my favorite line and I will be using only their products on my vehicles once I use up the rest of the waxes I have.

CaneCharger
08-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Personally I can tell the difference but I'm sure it's different with everybody. Dodo waxes are my favorite line and I will be using only their products on my vehicles once I use up the rest of the waxes I have.

Scott - how do you apply the waxes?
I wondering if I should just get the one wax and put a couple of coats on...

CEE DOG
08-16-2011, 02:37 PM
I applied the hard Banana Armor and then applied the soft Orange Crush afterwards. I've tried applying soft wax by hand (including the orange) a couple times and its not for me. Its very difficult to apply it thin this way.

Off topic but on the topic of where I do use my bare hand some... what I've found with very high content nuba like Vintage is that I melt it between my thumb and finger and begin to apply it to paint (similar to as directed) but then I take my foam pad and continue spreading it which makes it go on much thinner.