PDA

View Full Version : customer wants pre-purchased product on car...read on.

Pages : [1] 2

pointillistic_practitioner
08-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I have a customer who only wants his car washed & coated with a product he bought called xzilon...seems like one of those "permanent" coatings that the dealerships try to sell you on (he bought it aftermarket though). It says "lasts 3 years". I was just wondering if any of you have had experience with this product before. If the customer wants it done, I'll most certainly apply it, but should I even attempt to explain to him that the product may not be all it's cracked up to be? Thanks:)

embolism
08-16-2011, 10:07 AM
maybe he's hoping it will make his detail cheaper...

not sure but I remember that flyinion had that on his car. He's since come over to the light side though...

might want to pm him

ScottB
08-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Its simply a paint sealant, not a coating. Its often over hyped and sold thru dealers with a warranty. I would however use what he wants just make sure he is paying for it.

T.O.C.
08-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Its simply a paint sealant, not a coating. Its often over hyped and sold thru dealers with a warranty. I would however use what he wants just make sure he is paying for it.

Inform him that it is strictly a sealant better than some,but not the cure all that it is hyped to be. and buying it off fleabay means he didn't get the warranty which makes it a for the most part a waste of money. but if he wants it on make sure that he understands that you still need to polish and correct any paint defects,before applying the xzilon. and that it should be topped with a carnauba base waxed.

kimtyson
08-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Should some paperwork be signed on this? Since it isn't your method for detailing, and you are basically just providing the labor, you should not have to provide much in the way of a guarantee. Just a newb asking the question.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
08-16-2011, 02:04 PM
We recently had a customer e-mail us and ask about what he can do to his Jeep that had this applied at the dealer and I told him polish it off and start from new and also said take a look at this specific one and then you know its a scam

"Can I use a buffer or machinery on my vehicle, that has Xzilon® applied on it?

We don’t recommend any machinery or abrasives to be used on your vehicle’s paint."

Tell the guy you would have no problem applying it but make him sign something that you are not authorized to apply it and do not make any warranty claims and that you in fact advised him against use of it and that you recommended you apply something else in your arsenal of products.

Rav777
08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
It is an overhyped product and it is what the dealerships around my area are usually selling their customers. You still need to charge him for all the prep work involved and tell him that it will not last 3 years unless he literally has it garaged. My customers bought it for their cars and they wished they had called me earlier before buying the product from the stealership.

My customers commute to work like crazy and I started to see the coatings effects diminish after 8 months. Maybe its because they drive 2 hours to work each way?? I will say this, the first months the coating was on there for really made the water sheed off the car.

08-16-2011, 04:32 PM
We recently had a customer e-mail us and ask about what he can do to his Jeep that had this applied at the dealer and I told him polish it off and start from new and also said take a look at this specific one and then you know its a scam

"Can I use a buffer or machinery on my vehicle, that has Xzilon® applied on it?

We don’t recommend any machinery or abrasives to be used on your vehicle’s paint."

Yeah when I saw that on their site I was like whaaat? lol.

08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Should some paperwork be signed on this? Since it isn't your method for detailing, and you are basically just providing the labor, you should not have to provide much in the way of a guarantee. Just a newb asking the question.

Yeah, I'm going to talk to him about it. He failed to tell me before that his car was a week old. I'm assuming he got the product at the dealer...so I'm going to have *him* go to the dealer and make sure they are not voiding *his* warranty by selling it to him and having him apply it...If he wants me to do it I'll have him sign something saying I'm not ellligible if your warranty is void, you're the one who bought the product from the dealer and were at first planning on applying it yourself. I will also advise him that the sealant will probably not last as long as stated. Thanks a lot everyone! I wasn't expecting many responses!

08-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Also, do clearcoats' paint really need to "set" for 30 days before waxing? If so I'm reluctant to even take the job...

ScottB
08-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Also, do clearcoats' paint really need to "set" for 30 days before waxing? If so I'm reluctant to even take the job...

new car finishes are cured prior to delivery and ownership, only repainting and repairs should concern you.

FUNX650
08-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Unless the dealership had to re-spray for a "damaged-in-shipment" defect, the paint from the factory should be cured. If in doubt, talk with the service manager...they're supposed to be upfront about this, moreso with the buyer. Good luck getting the truth out of 'em, though.

If I were you I'd follow Pockets(Chris)@ PoorBoys advice as given in post #6. Just a suggestion.:)

Bob

Flash Gordon
08-16-2011, 05:41 PM
As long as the customer is willing to pay for my time, I'll apply whatever they wish me to. Its a great way to try new products w/out the expense

08-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks all! I'm going to take the job. I'm not going to do any prior polishing or anything b/c the car is new. (Unless I see that he instilled any noticeable scratches in it). He wants the product he spent money on to be used. I'm going to explain to him that it probably won't last 3 years, and that I'm not liable if the warranty voids in any way...I'll probably put it onto paper. Thanks again!

Flash Gordon
08-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks all! I'm going to take the job. I'm not going to do any prior polishing or anything b/c the car is new. (Unless I see that he instilled any noticeable scratches in it). He wants the product he spent money on to be used. I'm going to explain to him that it probably won't last 3 years, and that I'm not liable if the warranty voids in any way...I'll probably put it onto paper. Thanks again!

Sounds like a great plan. Minus the "In Writing" disclaimer. Tell him/her your sceptical of the companys claim, but your excited to have the opprutunity to try them out. No one likes being made feel like an idiot