PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my black trim

Pages : [1] 2

MaryB
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
The textured black trim on my car looks like %*$W%. It has spots where old wax is on it. I have tried everything I can think of to remove it but it is still there., so before I go outside and drive myself crazy, does anyone have the answer?

How to remove old wax and make the black trim pretty again?

DS Detailer
04-30-2006, 02:20 PM
The textured black trim on my car looks like %*$W%. It has spots where old wax is on it. I have tried everything I can think of to remove it but it is still there., so before I go outside and drive myself crazy, does anyone have the answer?

Magic Eraser (at any Wal-Mart or Target) with a few mists of all purpose cleaner, Then dry it and repeat on any spots you may have missed. Then purchase a trim protecting product. I use "Mother's of Cali: Back to Black."

Thats one way, and a quick way. I'm sure there are better ways.. but thats one way.

BlackCoupe
04-30-2006, 02:22 PM

Have you tried isopropyl alcohol with a gentle brush?

MaryB
04-30-2006, 02:31 PM
No, I haven't tried either the majic eraser or alcohol. But I will tomorrow!!
I have 1/2 of an eraser in the drawer and surely I have alcohol

Gee, I'm all excited that there might be a solution! I was afraid to pull out the big guns (homemade mixes we wifes use to clean the house), I was afraid I would damage the paint.

BlackCoupe
04-30-2006, 07:27 PM

Gee, I'm all excited that there might be a solution! I was afraid to pull out the big guns (homemade mixes we wifes use to clean the house), I was afraid I would damage the paint.

By old wax, you mean a white residue, correct?

cummins03
04-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Try creamy peanut butter. it works and if you get hungry you don't have to go far.

Mike T
04-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Ummm.... How about this.
http://www.autogeek.net/wax-remover.html
You can top this with a couple of more coats of TR and it will gleem.
I have a bottle, but haven't tried it yet. I haven't had a problem with my trim up until now.

MaryB
04-30-2006, 08:45 PM
You folks are terrific!!

Yes there is a white residue on the trim. I was never good at staying within the boarders of my coloring books either! Got bad marks in Kindergarten because of it.

So I have heavy white marks where my hands went wild with the applicator and then the rest of it has a white residue on it.

Now, I did try that peanut butter trick and don't laugh; I left it on to really soak in and the dog next door licked it all off.

I really want to find the person or person(s) who thought this black stuff was a great idea...I have a present for them.

So Mike T, are you asking me to be your guinea pig? You have a bottle but haven't tried it yet? What is TR?

Mary

BlackCoupe
04-30-2006, 08:47 PM

My parents are both gone now, but just after their first child, about 65 years ago, they got their first new car. While dad was at work, Mom decided to use one of those "homemade mixes we wives use to clean house" to make the car shine. She used lemon oil. It destroyed the finish. It was five years before the next child.

MaryB
04-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Oh NO! Lemon oil?

Thanks for fixing my spelling, I have good days and bad days with English!!

Does anyone know why the guy at the body shop keeps telling me not to wax my car.

joe.p
04-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Oh NO! Lemon oil?

Does anyone know why the guy at the body shop keeps telling me not to wax my car.
Has the car been freshly painted. The oils in the peanutbutter may help dissolve the old wax on the trim.

MaryB
05-01-2006, 06:11 AM
about 18 months ago it was repainted, I took it in when someone other than me put a huge scrape all along the passenger side. When he looked at the car to give me an estimate he told me to stop waxing my car he said it didn't need it.

I just said oh ok, but I didn't mean it, it did make me wonder though. I have used them over the years and the cars have always come back looking like they did from the dealer.

So now it is time to do my thing, except for the winter time I clean every inch of it every 3 months.

Mike T
05-01-2006, 08:11 AM
So Mike T, are you asking me to be your guinea pig? You have a bottle but haven't tried it yet? What is TR?

Mary

If you search the forums at DetailCity you will come across a review on Wax Blaster stuff. I don't remember who did it. After reading that is when I bought a bottle. TR is Poorboy's Trim Restore. This stuff is great. I'm not quiet sure why the guy keeps telling you not to wax.

Meghan
05-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Here is what you need. :)
http://www.autogeek.net/wax-remover.html

ScottB
05-01-2006, 05:27 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/blackagain.html

not to throw another product in the mix (and yes the oils in peanut butter work) but I have always like blackagain. Because it is a thick gel, it is easy to place where needed. After a couple hours I buff it , as some products can streak when first wet. (wash, rain)