PDA

View Full Version : NEW formula Optimum Power Clean vs. Griot's Interior Cleaner *PIC*

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WRAPT C5Z06
08-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Both are instructed to clean every part of the interior. Here is an example on leather. Both sides were scrubbed with the same brush, same strokes, and same amount of time. I don't want to hear that you can't compare these because one is an APC and the other is a basic interior cleaner. They both are touted as interior cleaners, so why can't they be compared? ;)

OPC at 3:1 (left) - Griot's Inerior Cleaner (Right)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just a SLIGHT difference!!

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss189/brewinz_2009/opc.jpg

Setec Astronomy
08-15-2011, 11:52 PM
What is that, your couch?

WRAPT C5Z06
08-15-2011, 11:53 PM
What is that, your couch?
It's a leather couch in my guest house. :laughing:

Hoytman
08-16-2011, 12:04 AM
That looks great Mark. I've seen some other OPC 50/50 shots with similar results, old version of course.

I do have a general question though regarding any of these APC's touted to be used on interiors. The question may be better suited to be answered in a thread of it's own, IDK. I mean, I want to believe what I'm seeing, but the question begs to be asked how something could remove grease, yet be so gentle?

How does a person test for, or know when cleaning has went beyond to bleaching, or taking the oils, even color dyes, out of the leather? If that can even happen.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-16-2011, 12:07 AM
That looks great Mark. I've seen some other OPC 50/50 shots with similar results, old version of course.

I do have a general question though regarding any of these APC's touted to be used on interiors. The question may be better suited to be answered in a thread of it's own, IDK. I mean, I want to believe what I'm seeing, but the question begs to be asked how something could remove grease, yet be so gentle?

How does a person test for, or know when cleaning has went beyond to bleaching, or taking the oils, even color dyes, out of the leather? If that can even happen.
Chris@Optimum will be able to answer your questions, Bill. :xyxthumbs:

Hoytman
08-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Chris@Optimum will be able to answer your questions, Bill. :xyxthumbs:

Big difference in the looks on that couch huh? Do you follow up with any other product? If so, what do you like to follow up with?

fredcandetail
08-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Bro i think OPC was to harsh ... The original color is along the tapeline and looks dark and conditioned and OPC looks like it cleaned it and bleached it .... Just my two cents
My goto for leather is Megs APC 6:1 .. Foams up nicely and leaves then leather soft and supple...
Anyhow I echo the last statement about how such a bad ace degreaser can be used as a leather cleaner full strength ... I wonder if you knockednit down a bit if it would not be so aggressively bleachy?

WRAPT C5Z06
08-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Big difference in the looks on that couch huh? Do you follow up with any other product? If so, what do you like to follow up with?
I did not follow up with anything.

Bro i think OPC was to harsh ... The original color is along the tapeline and looks dark and conditioned and OPC looks like it cleaned it and bleached it .... Just my two cents
My goto for leather is Megs APC 6:1 .. Foams up nicely and leaves then leather soft and supple...
Anyhow I echo the last statement about how such a bad ace degreaser can be used as a leather cleaner full strength ... I wonder if you knockednit down a bit if it would not be so aggressively bleachy?
That is not the original color along the tapeline, that's dirt! It did not bleach it, it cleaned it. When I was scrubbing, I could clearly see the dirt being stripped away.

Chris Thomas
08-16-2011, 12:33 AM

This isn't just a 50/50...one side is Power Clean and the other is Griots Interior.

I cannot speak for all APCs but Power Clean was a concept that deliberately intended to address safety across a variety of surfaces. There would be no reason to just bring in a "good" APC because there are many good ones already. Dr. G was able to give us a product that is safe on painted surfaces and even on porous interior surfaces as well. Testing and more testing is how we determine what a products limitations are and what we can safely claim. You should not apply OPC to hot paint or allow it to dry on surfaces. You also need to avoid letting it run on surfaces that may absorb it like leather and vinyl by spreading it after spraying, or applying it to a towel and not directly to the surface. Avoid the edges of tint and saturating headliners as it will deteriorate the adhesive. OPC should be rinsed from wheels, tires, and fabrics. OPC should be followed with a damp cloth or Optimum Protectant Plus when finished cleaning. Other than those few precautions, I cannot think of anything you'd need to avoid. We have not tested it on suede but that's fairly uncommon in autos I'm not saying it won't work, just that we have not tested it. Also, we have not tested alcantra, but plan to.

---
- Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

Hoytman
08-16-2011, 12:40 AM

In all fairness to Mark, and Optimum Power Clean...

How could you recommend another APC brand? As if it wouldn't do the same thing. They both capable of degreasing from what I understand. What makes you think Meg's APC, or APC+ wouldn't do the same (bleach, or remove oils, that is)?

For what it's worth...both OPC and Meg's APC+ are on my wish list.

I can ask this because I don't own either product, so I'm not biased at all.

I have no reason to doubt Mark's claims, nor was I implying that the couch had been bleached. I simply asked a legitimate question in search of an answer. I'm certain Chris@Optimum will address them during some normal hours.

I wonder what would happen if you placed another piece of tape on the most cleaned section, and re-clean a spot there? If it's going to bleach, it should theoretically continue to bleach out the leather. On the other hand, if nothing happens, I'd say the OPC cleaned it thoroughly the first time. Just thinking outloud here. Mark you don't have to try this to make my point. I'm sure Chris can tell us all we want to know about the product.

I for one, have been astounded by reviews of Optimum products. I'd like to try the spray compound/polish/wax, poli-seal, and OPC 2.0 sometime. I've yet to get my DA polisher though, let alone place a product order.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-16-2011, 12:44 AM
This isn't just a 50/50...one side is Power Clean and the other is Griots Interior.

I cannot speak for all APCs but Power Clean was a concept that deliberately intended to address safety across a variety of surfaces. There would be no reason to just bring in a "good" APC because there are many good ones already. Dr. G was able to give us a product that is safe on painted surfaces and even on porous interior surfaces as well. Testing and more testing is how we determine what a products limitations are and what we can safely claim. You should not apply OPC to hot paint or allow it to dry on surfaces. You also need to avoid letting it run on surfaces that may absorb it like leather and vinyl by spreading it after spraying, or applying it to a towel and not directly to the surface. Avoid the edges of tint and saturating headliners as it will deteriorate the adhesive. OPC should be rinsed from wheels, tires, and fabrics. OPC should be followed with a damp cloth or Optimum Protectant Plus when finished cleaning. Other than those few precautions, I cannot think of anything you'd need to avoid. We have not tested it on suede but that's fairly uncommon in autos I'm not saying it won't work, just that we have not tested it. Also, we have not tested alcantra, but plan to.

---
- Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk
Thanks, Chris! :props:

FWIW, to everyone else, the Griot's interior cleaner left very noticeable drip marks on the leather. I purposely let it run to see if it would do this. So, the drips marks are not just an "OPC thing" which many people have complained about. Hope that clears up some confusion.

Hoytman
08-16-2011, 12:51 AM
I understood that OPC was being compared to Griot's and was not a typical 50/50 shot. I just meant that I've seen reviews with 50/50 shots using OPC.

Thanks for the quick reply Chris, and thanks for the information. Looks like we were both typing at the same time.

maximus20895
08-16-2011, 01:07 AM
A 50/50 just means there is something compared to something. It could be a product compared to it's current state or a product compared to another product..

pfix
08-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Mark,
I think the tape line on the section previously cleaned with OPC and a reapplication of OPC would be a great test to confirm that OPC is not affecting the original finish of the leather.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Mark,
I think the tape line on the section previously cleaned with OPC and a reapplication of OPC would be a great test to confirm that OPC is not affecting the original finish of the leather.
Paul,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean? What exact part would you want me to clean? Do you man re-clean the section that's already been cleaned?