PDA

View Full Version : Total newbe, need recommendations

SirVilhelm
08-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi, I am completely new to auto detailing/paint renewal and need some recommendations. I have two black cars, one was bought used and in its ten year life span I doubt it was ever waxed or even properly washed. The paint feels like sandpaper and there is oxidation and ghosting(?) in the paint. The other vehical is just now a year old and had a professional detail about 8 months ago.

I found this site while searching around for good detailing guides/techniques but there is so much information I am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around it. My goal is to get the ten year old car restored as best I can, doesn't have to be perfect but I don't mind spending days at a time working on it. The new car I just want to maintain, it is showing some swirl marks that I would like to get out but overall it is in good shape.

I am starting from zero as far as product goes. I know I need a good detailing clay, paint sealant and carnauba. I am also picking up a porter cable 7424 to assist :buffing:.

Is there an all-in-one kit that would work for my situation or should I piece together everything I would need? Since I want to use a DA do I need to get products specifically for use with a DA? I just need some pointers on what to get for each of my vehicles. Thank you and sorry for the long post ;)

PA DETAILER
08-15-2011, 12:26 PM
here is some good reading to get you started. and welcome!

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

truckbutt
08-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Welcome to the forum. Before you do anything, you should read the articles by Mike Phillips. Everything you need to know is in there! I came here knowing virtually nothing, The forum members are highly knowledgeable and more then willing to help. You have a big project in front of you so make a plan of attack and a list of supplies you will need. The usual plan for a detailing is:
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Tape off all trim.
4. Compond/Correction (as needed)
5. Polish
6. Jewel-optional
7. Glaze-optional
8. Sealant/wax or Sealant then wax.
9. Tires/Trim/Glass
It is unlikely that you will get done what you want to accomplish on a ten y/o car with an all in one.
You will need to buy products appropriate for each of the above steps. You will also need Light Cutting, Polishing, and Finishing pads. I like Lake Country Pads.
My favorite products for the steps above are:
Clay: Meguiars or Mothers Medium
Compound: Meguiars M105
Polish: Meguiars M205
Jeweling: Menzerna P085rd
Glaze: Poorboys Black Hole/ Chemical Guys Acrylic
Sealant: Meguiars M21 or Blackfire Wet Diamond
Carnauba Wax: Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba +
Tires: Meguiars Endurance
Trim: Meguiars Gold Class Tire and Trim Restorer
Eveyone has their own choice of products. You can also choose a line that has all you need, such as Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Polish and wax.
Good luck!

SirVilhelm
08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Thank you for the reply's, all very helpful. I know the 10 y/o car is going to be tough but I am up for the challenge. Thank you for your product suggestions and I will be reading up a whole lot more.