PDA

View Full Version : I've become a "full pad support" jumkie...

WRAPT C5Z06
08-15-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm now using 5.5" pads(MF and foam) with my G110v2 and Flex 3401. The stock Flex 3401 BP is 5.5" and KB customized my 6" BP plate down to 5.5". IME, when the backing plate extends to the very edge of the pad, the cut and finish performance is noticeably better. Obviously, I have zero margin for error, but if I'm really careful, I shouldn't have any problems. The increased performance outweighs the safety issue TO ME. :) You might want to give full pad support a shot, it works really well.

Mobile detail
08-15-2011, 12:47 AM
I'll admit it. I primarily use 5.5 Pads on my flex. I have for a long time. I haven't had any problems. I've read that this is a big no no so I didn't want to admit it. First step in recovery is admitting ihave a problem which I dont so I guess I'm not a junkie. Woo hoo!

WRAPT C5Z06
08-15-2011, 12:49 AM
I'll admit it. I primarily use 5.5 Pads on my flex. I have for a long time. I haven't had any problems. I've read that this is a big no no so I didn't want to admit it. First step in recovery is admitting ihave a problem which I dont so I guess I'm not a junkie. Woo hoo!
:laughing: That's funny.

It's a big no-no because of the safety issue, but I think that's a bit overrated. If you're careful, it shouldn't be a problem. :dblthumb2:

evojoey
08-15-2011, 04:07 AM
I too have been using 5.5 inch pads on my stock 3401 backing plate with no issues for over a year now ...

silverfox
08-15-2011, 04:28 AM
Some guys even cut their backing plates smaller so that they can use the "edging" technique whereby they can apply a lot of pressure on the edges without worry about uneven pressure across the pad.

BobbyG
08-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Hey Mark!

It looks like allot of guys here are using the 5 1/2's on their Flex 3401 as well. Earlier this year just for the heck of it I tried them on my Flex and now they're the go to size for me as well.

Looks like we were all reading your mind! :props:

Thanks for the tip Mark and I'm sure others will warm up to it too! :props:

CEE DOG
08-15-2011, 06:22 AM
It's no problem s long as your careful EXCEPT on sporty cars with tight radius curves. Here you better be extremely careful as you can come up against a curve (example) the rear lid of my Sky behind the seats and you will have the edge of a bp spinning at full speed 1/16" from the paint. I used to use the 5.5" pads and did my whole sky with them once. I didn't have any problem but when I was doing that rear lid and watching the bp spin that close.... It was in that moment that my insanity was confirmed. :buffing: the Flex doesn't need to go smaller as it works great with 6 1/2" pads. For tight areas and edges I also use 4" pads with my 3 7/8" BP thanks to my buddy Tad! :)

tommythecat
08-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Whats a jumkie? :laughing:

Do you find any difference in pad rotation on a traditional DA with this method?

embolism
08-15-2011, 07:44 AM
has anyone tried the constant pressure pads with the edging technique?

WRAPT C5Z06
08-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Whats a jumkie?

Do you find any difference in pad rotation on a traditional DA with this method?
Typo :doh:

I don't see much of difference in rotation, but cut and finish yes! As mentioned above this would be more with a traditional DA rather than the Flex 3401.

the Flex doesn't need to go smaller as it works great with 6 1/2" pads. :)
This is a good point, Corey. Being that it's forced rotation, 6 1/2" pads will polish just as as 5.5" pads, even if there isn't full pad support. Currently, I have more 5.5" pads than 6.5" pads, so I use them on my G110v2 as well as my Flex 3401. :dblthumb2:

5.4 Shelby
08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Mark,

I must have missed something (possible, have not been reading every post most of the summer). LAst I knew you were a die hard Griots DA user. Did you have some problems with them?