PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes- "ceramiclear" clear coat

jfsully
01-31-2007, 08:06 PM
It is my undrestanding that Mercedes has a very hard "ceramiclear" clear coat.

I own a black metallic car and a PC and XMT polishes that I use. What is the best way for me to remove light swirls on this paint , does this type of clearcoat make any difference.

I have read on a Mercedes site that Menzerna makes a line of products that seems to be formutated for the harder clear coats. I am a huge fan of the Pinnacle products and just want to use what is "best"

ScottB
01-31-2007, 08:09 PM
unfortunately to date only Menzerna has really worked with and made consumer polishes for ceramiclear finishes. We dont carry the line. We do carry several top brands to add over the polish however, and Pinnacle would be one of the best.

jfsully
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
So I guess the question...and I feel disloyal asking this..:(....should I use the menzerna to remove my light swirl and scratches? Will the XMT series work for an amateur like me?

(I am an extremely loyal Geek and I am looking forward to attending the Festival in February)

ScottB
01-31-2007, 09:03 PM
I too hate to steer you away, but I would use the recommended product when possible. With XMT, you will likely need to use the heavier abrasive polishes to act like a finishing polish on ceramiclear finishes. And your not disloyal if still using Pinnacle as your topper !!

jfsully
01-31-2007, 09:29 PM
answers like that are why I am so loyal and why you guys are so great:cheers::awesome:

Al-53
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Jfsully....To date..the only polishes I know of that work with the SRC..(scratch Resistant Clearcoats) is Menzerna..and also new last year..is The New 3m SRC polish..made for ceramic clears...I got a sample from a friend at the body shop...and tried it out..but not on ceramic clear...I used it on my truck to see how it compares to Menzerna 085RD and 106FF....it worked very good...took out the micro marring and left a nice smooth gloss...it is just a finish polish...so may not work on heavy correction needs..but it sure does work as a nice finish polish...very close to Menzerna...

any ways..the polish is called 3M SRC polish ....around 30 a quart I think...try a body shop supply since AG does not have it...

Hope this Helps

Al

Mr. Clean
02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Just browsing doing a lot of catch up reading as the weather is cold and wet today when I came upon this thread where I read these two posts:

unfortunately to date only Menzerna has really worked with and made consumer polishes for ceramiclear finishes. We dont carry the line. We do carry several top brands to add over the polish however, and Pinnacle would be one of the best.

I too hate to steer you away, but I would use the recommended product when possible. With XMT, you will likely need to use the heavier abrasive polishes to act like a finishing polish on ceramiclear finishes. And your not disloyal if still using Pinnacle as your topper !!

I must say, very commendable killr.

Now to resolve this maybe Max can discuss with Menzerna about the possiblity of carrying some of their products, or perhaps work to develop a private label product.

ScottB
02-01-2007, 02:36 PM
trust me when I say the entire team has approached Menzerna. If you want to see it at Autogeek, I highly suggest you send them an email asking them to reconsider.

ContactUs.gif (http://www.menzernausa.com/ContactUs.htm)

ltoman
02-01-2007, 04:04 PM
trust me when I say the entire team has approached Menzerna. If you want to see it at Autogeek, I highly suggest you send them an email asking them to reconsider.

ContactUs.gif (http://www.menzernausa.com/ContactUs.htm)

Scott - is that the same type of clearcoat on the vette? ceramiclear?
Thanks!

abrcrombe
02-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Ceramiclear is a mercedes thing... but similar. Just different name really.

Scott - I sent them an email. I know my email is going to change their minds. ;)

ltoman
02-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Ceramiclear is a mercedes thing... but similar. Just different name really.So does that mean the same products would be the most effective on both?:confused: :confused:

abrcrombe
02-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah... write an email!! AG corvette detailers unite!

ScottB
02-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Scott - is that the same type of clearcoat on the vette? ceramiclear?
Thanks!

Actually no .... they are quite different. The new Ceramiclear Clearcoats are higher priced and thus used on Maybach, Mercedes, and BMW to introduce shortly. Ceramic binders used thus the name.

I truly believe the only reason the Vettes clear is so hard, is because there is much more of it than imports. It heavier so to speak ...GM has not accepted use of Ceramiclear to date.

Nissan also designed a pliable clearcoat about 18 months back. Supposedly it can regenerate and repair scratching. Problem, it was said to have a max life span of around 5 years max .

jfsully
02-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Mercedes owners lets help our favorite "geek store" get this line.Im the MAN