PDA

View Full Version : cause of holograms?

Pages : [1] 2 3

embolism
08-14-2011, 04:14 PM
so was just wondering what is it exactly that causes holograms when using a rotary buffer?

Can you create holograms using a jeweling polish like PO85rd or is it only when compounding?

Thanks

qaz393
08-14-2011, 04:58 PM
so was just wondering what is it exactly that causes holograms when using a rotary buffer?

Can you create holograms using a jeweling polish like PO85rd or is it only when compounding?

Thanks

id believe PO85RD can make holograms IF and only IF you are using a wool pad and its not clean. something less aggressive might leave holograms too.

rider9195
08-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I have always wondered the same thing. I know what they generally come from wool cutting pads. Hopefully someone with some more knowledge will chime in.

StephenK
08-14-2011, 05:36 PM
using a Rotary you can cause holograms with any polish and pad combo.

to fast arm speed
using to much product or not working it long enough
using to little product or working it to long(can also induce more swirls as well)

this is just a few ways of getting holograms.
i am sure someone with better talent of explaining things will chime in to explain more in depth. but basically holograms and swirls can be induced by any pad/polish combo. 90%-95% is in the technique.

kronos
08-14-2011, 06:25 PM
IIRC, only rotaries can produce holograms. I also now know (as of yesterday) that not only does it depend on the pad and polish combo, but also on the paint. Some paints are very soft, like jet black BMW paint (yesterday's subject) and will not finish mar free if the correct pad, polish and technique are not utilized.

Flash Gordon
08-14-2011, 07:37 PM
$75 Detailers is where I thought they came from

bigaizsosexy
08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
$75 Detailers is where I thought they came from

That just made me laugh out loud.

Flash Gordon
08-14-2011, 07:46 PM
That just made me laugh out loud.

Good ^

Maybe one day Max will make me Director of Entertainment :idea:

Kristopher1129
08-14-2011, 08:16 PM
There's plenty of reasons holograms can be created. Improper claying, dirty pad, moving too quickly, pad is spinning too fast, product wasn't broken down enough, working on a hot panel, etc, etc, etc.

Rotaries can be a hassle. It's a lot more complicated to experiment with new products on a rotary for that reason. Avoiding holograms is all about technique, knowing your products and pads. It's like anything else...once you've done it enough, it becomes natural.

Besides...I thought $75 details included holograms anyways. If you're not getting holograms with that price...bring it back! lol

trerc
08-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Usually holograms are caused by working dirty. Its always important to keep your pad clean, it's especially important when using a rotary tho.

qaz393
08-14-2011, 08:58 PM
IIRC, only rotaries can produce holograms. I also now know (as of yesterday) that not only does it depend on the pad and polish combo, but also on the paint. Some paints are very soft, like jet black BMW paint (yesterday's subject) and will not finish mar free if the correct pad, polish and technique are not utilized.

THIS IS NOT TRUE. I was able to make HOLOGRAM, not mircomarring with D300 + DA MF Pads at speed 4.5 light to no pressure. I didnt see the holograms until i was under bright sunlight.

i think the cause was using too little pressure so that the pad is able to spin at a faster rate only cutting little on the surface. if i had kept pressure, there shouldnt be hologram with DA

Capa1970
08-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Interesting. I was also under the impression that a DA will not cause holograms.

qaz393
08-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Interesting. I was also under the impression that a DA will not cause holograms.

if used properly. i used extremely light pressure where only the pad was touching the surface. if i put pressure and didn't let it rotate, i THINK there shouldn't be holograms. After, i used some finishing polish to remove the hologram.

Kristopher1129
08-14-2011, 10:10 PM
if used properly. i used extremely light pressure where only the pad was touching the surface. if i put pressure and didn't let it rotate, i THINK there shouldn't be holograms. After, i used some finishing polish to remove the hologram.

So you're saying if you push so hard that the pad doesn't spin...that you will avoid holograms? Cause the pad is supposed to spin regardless. If your pad isn't spinning...you're not doing much of anything. That's the main reason most DAs have forced rotation.

qaz393
08-14-2011, 10:19 PM
So you're saying if you push so hard that the pad doesn't spin...that you will avoid holograms? Cause the pad is supposed to spin regardless. If your pad isn't spinning...you're not doing much of anything. That's the main reason most DAs have forced rotation.

i mean i put around 1-3 pounds of force. the pad was just making contact so the DA is spinning at a higher rate instead of slowly.

MOST ELECTRIC DA DOES NOT HAVE FORCE RATION......