PDA

View Full Version : Carpets - Limited tools

Y2KSVT
08-13-2011, 08:39 PM
So tomorrow I've agreed to detail the interior of a car that belongs to a friend of my sister. From what I understand, it's not bad inside but she wants it to "feel new again." I'm set when it comes to the vinyl, plastic, leather, and windows, but I don't have much experience with really cleaning carpets.

I don't have an extractor or a shampooer. I have a small Craftsman wet/dry vac, APC+, and some various brushes at my disposal. I believe the carpet is black so I don't foresee a lot of heavy staining, but I'd like some input. What methods can I use to clear up minor stains, assuming they aren't permanent? APC+ at 10:1 is my initial thought, but I'm not sure how heavy I should spray it on, and how rigorous I can/should get with a brush.

I did purchase some 303 fabric protectant that I intend to protect her floor mats and carpet with. How heavy do I spray that on, and do I need to work it into the fibers or just walk away?

Feed back please

Robert8194
08-13-2011, 09:09 PM
The APC+ should take care of anything but the worst stains. I recommend Folex if you do have bad stains. Mist the APC at 10:1 or up to 4:1. You can get the job done brushing the APC in and drying with towel. Try not to saturate the carpet. If you do, you may have to use the wet dry vac. Good luck.

Y2KSVT
08-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Robert! I'll give that a try! I think Folex can be found at Home Depot, correct? Do you use that in the same fashion as you would APC+?

dad07
08-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks, Robert! I'll give that a try! I think Folex can be found at Home Depot, correct? Do you use that in the same fashion as you would APC+?

Folex can be found at Hd or lowes, as allways follow the directions. By spraying then agitate then extracting you should aquire some good results.

shoeless89
08-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I got Folex a couple weeks ago at Lowes by advice from Bobby G and some other members. The stuff is AMAZING! It took out 95% of an oil stain in my back seat out thats nothing else would even dent!

ScubaCougr
08-13-2011, 10:57 PM
The APC+ should take care of anything but the worst stains. I recommend Folex if you do have bad stains. Mist the APC at 10:1 or up to 4:1. You can get the job done brushing the APC in and drying with towel. Try not to saturate the carpet. If you do, you may have to use the wet dry vac. Good luck.
:iagree:

Vac well, dry-scrub brush the carpet to loosen more, vac again, then hit with APC. Scrub then dry with towel or vac.

When you do wet-vac use a tool with a narrow opening like a 'duck foot' nozzle to concentrate the suction.

FussMan
08-13-2011, 11:39 PM
The best tool on the market is the "BIG GREEN CLEAN MACHINE".....its is a portable steam cleaning machine with solution and it is all in one..it steams, spray's solution and sucks up the released dirt....I think is the gold standard in cleaning mats and the carpet. Once cleaned you can use th 303 Fabric Guard..its a winning combo!

Keep it clean ..keep if simple

FussMan

Robert8194
08-14-2011, 08:55 PM
The best tool on the market is the "BIG GREEN CLEAN MACHINE".....its is a portable steam cleaning machine with solution and it is all in one..it steams, spray's solution and sucks up the released dirt....I think is the gold standard in cleaning mats and the carpet. Once cleaned you can use th 303 Fabric Guard..its a winning combo!

Keep it clean ..keep if simple

FussMan

For a machine that costs $100 or less, it can't be beat. Make sure you get the Pro Heat model. It may not have the same heat and suction as the professional extractors but it certainly gets the job done. And it's 600 or 700 dollars cheaper.

kimtyson
08-14-2011, 09:00 PM
The Big Green Machine is like $350. You aren't talking about the Little Green Machine are you? I think I'm confused.

cutter
08-14-2011, 09:50 PM
I got Folex a couple weeks ago at Lowes by advice from Bobby G and some other members. The stuff is AMAZING! It took out 95% of an oil stain in my back seat out thats nothing else would even dent!

:iagree: this is AMAZING STUFF!!!!

Robert8194
08-15-2011, 07:55 PM
The Big Green Machine is like $350. You aren't talking about the Little Green Machine are you? I think I'm confused.

You are so right. I did not read that correctly. Isn't the Big Green a home carpet cleaner that has a hose and nozzle accessory? The list price on it is on up there. I have seen a lot of people on this forum recommending the Little Green with Pro heat. I have it and it does a very good job. I also have a DurrMaid 1600 but it was over $700 and takes longer to heat up. Not practical for small jobs.

Robert8194
08-15-2011, 07:58 PM
:iagree: this is AMAZING STUFF!!!!

I was using Folex long before detailing. Learned about it when we had cats and hair balls. It is the best I have seen for carpet. I tried to use it on some stains on a headliner. It took out the stains but made everything else look dirty.

kimtyson
08-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for clearing that one up, Robert8194. I was thinking about getting the Mcullough 1275. Reviews seemed better on that one. Now, with your recommendation maybe I should get the Green Machine.