PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Wheels - What approach would you take?

Pages : [1] 2

MatthewM
08-13-2011, 01:56 PM
These wheels are awful. No matter how hard I try I can't get them to look good. I've thought about getting the mothers powerball for wheels, but I'm not sure if that is the best option.

Any opinions? Feed back please

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/DSCN2855.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/DSCN2856.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/DSCN2857.JPG

pfix
08-13-2011, 02:22 PM
What have you done to try and get them clean? If we know the products and methods you have used we can certainly try and offer some suggestions for you.

billsmars
08-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Do those wheels have a finish to them or are they simply the flat gray paint? If they are painted without clear, repainting is the only solution I know of. I can tell you that the Mothers Powerball does a grerat job but you need a strong drill. I have an 18volt Ryobi and usually end up going electric.

dchristo
08-13-2011, 02:24 PM
looks like some purple power,( or westleys bleach white ) a tire brush and a daytona speed master wheel brush will do the trick

Blackthorn One
08-13-2011, 02:39 PM
The finish appears to be too damaged to fix by cleaning alone. It might require refinishing. The best way to tell for sure is to try to clean up a really bad area about the size of your finger, and really try your best to clean it, if by sonax wheel cleaner, griots garage heavy duty wheel cleaner, or just plain elbow grease. Then you will know for sure if it is worth trying to clean ip the entire wheel, vs refinishing.

POPPAJ
08-13-2011, 02:39 PM
Paint em! With proper prep.

MatthewM
08-13-2011, 04:19 PM
There is no clear coat.

Matt
08-13-2011, 06:08 PM
To me they almost look like they could uncoated aluminum. They're pitted and I don't think you will be able to repair that pittin without refinishing.

If you have any metal polish, you could try polishing a small patch and see how it comes out. If the polish turns black, you're dealing with bare metal, if it doesn't change colour or just gets "dirty" then there is some sort of paint on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse any grammatical errors

Cat ji
08-13-2011, 06:34 PM
They look like the OEM wheels - paint. The backs will be very bad and only a scouring pad and household scouring stuff would get the embedded black stuff off, with hours of work.
So, good powdercoat shop...take your pick - gloss silver or black or charcoal, or satin black.

Mobile detail
08-13-2011, 08:52 PM
are those on a toyota sequioa? or how ever you spell it>>>??<<<

Blackthorn One
08-13-2011, 10:33 PM
They look like the OEM wheels - paint. The backs will be very bad and only a scouring pad and household scouring stuff would get the embedded black stuff off, with hours of work.
So, good powdercoat shop...take your pick - gloss silver or black or charcoal, or satin black.
There is powdercoat now that looks like polished aluminum, too. You can put candy colors on top as well, I think. The wheels could be made even better looking than new with a nice powder coating. Don't just see it as trying to make bad wheels look respectable again. Look at it as an upgrade.

Matt
08-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Look at it as an upgrade.

:iagree:

MatthewM
08-14-2011, 12:55 PM
There is powdercoat now that looks like polished aluminum, too. You can put candy colors on top as well, I think. The wheels could be made even better looking than new with a nice powder coating. Don't just see it as trying to make bad wheels look respectable again. Look at it as an upgrade.

I have been wanting to get them powder coated regardless of their nastiness. My only problems are cash and the fact that I would be wheel-less for a few days.

are those on a toyota sequioa? or how ever you spell it>>>??<<<

Toyota Tundra - I think they are the same as the Sequoia though.

The finish appears to be too damaged to fix by cleaning alone. It might require refinishing. The best way to tell for sure is to try to clean up a really bad area about the size of your finger, and really try your best to clean it, if by sonax wheel cleaner, griots garage heavy duty wheel cleaner, or just plain elbow grease. Then you will know for sure if it is worth trying to clean ip the entire wheel, vs refinishing.

I tried to clean them, for quite a while. Looks like their finish is... Dead.

Best I can do now is get them as clean as possible until I can afford to get em painted or buy a new set.

Thanks for your help guys.:thankyousign:

mbkite
08-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Have you tried Iron X

trerc
08-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Huh I thought those wheels were factory clear coated...