PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for the fall

AKmikeSSter04
08-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Hey everyone,
I have a few questions. First, any tips for m105? My main problem is that it goes on and dries hard and is hard to buff off.
Also, what's a good wax or sealant for the winter? I've been using wolfgang sealant spray since spring but it doesn't last long. I was thinking of trying collinite 845 this winter. Is there any other products I should look into?
In the winter I normally use the drive thru laser wash.

One last question, are there any scratch or swirl removers I can use for chrome rims?

Mobile detail
08-13-2011, 01:45 AM
How date dare you speak of the end of summer. In so cal we have barely had a summer yet. M105 can dry quick. I use megs qd to aid in it's removals and it works like a charm. 845 us a great winter wax. You can try m105 on the chrome, but I would try m205 1st. Optimum metal polish works wellalso.

BobbyG
08-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Collinite 845 is my go-to product for winter protection and I live in New England.

Winter in New England throws everything at you except the kitchen sink. We've typically see a ton of snow, cold and bad weather. The salt and chemicals they put on the roads are another source of contaminates so make your vehicle battle ready.

Around October I give my truck a complete clay and polish then on goes a quality sealant and finally wax. There are several nice sealants available and my sealant of choice last year was Menzerna Power Lock. It goes on like a dream and I apply it with my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a red foam pad.

Sealants like to cure for 12 to 24 hours in order to bond properly with the paint then I'll add a coat of Collinite 845 for added protection. When done right, this combination will last 4 to 6 months.

I do wash my vehicles throughout the winter and my favorite wash to use is DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss. Mix this with warm water and wash each panel twice to ensure all the dirt, grime, and debris is floated harmlessly to the ground.

If you have a garage to work in this is a plus but on a sunny day I'll wash mine outdoors in the sun. This makes a huge difference as the sun warm up the surface finish and keep things from freezing. Have several Microfiber towels handy and dry each panel.

Another thing I do to aid in finish upkeep is give the paint a once over with a spray wax such as one offered from Optimum. I'm particularly impressed with it and it too adds months of extra protection. Optimum Spray Wax is a superb product so give it a try.

hoyt66
08-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Bobby, do you use anything between polish and sealant??

AKmikeSSter04
08-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks Bobby. Im making my shopping list for an AG purchase. So I should clay, polish, seal, then wax? Right now I'm in need of more pads for my PC 7424, a sealant, and collinite. My truck is normally outside for the winter, but I do detail it at least twice a month. I'll have to try that DP rinseless wash and gloss. As far as spray wax, all I have are store bought stuff, like Megs quick wax, ultimate quick wax, and some mothers spray wax. Did the optimum hold up well?

FUNX650
08-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey everyone,
I have a few questions. First, any tips for m105? My main problem is that it goes on and dries hard and is hard to buff off.

As suggested: a spritz of a QD, or water may help. I would also suggest decreasing the size of your work area.

Also, what's a good wax or sealant for the winter?
I was thinking of trying collinite 845 this winter.

There's your answer!

One last question, are there any scratch or swirl removers I can use for chrome rims?

Remember that the "decorative chrome" chromium plating found on most chrome wheels, even though very 'hard', is measured in millionths of an inch. The geometry of the wheels also determines the actual thickness of the chromium plating applied in different sections of the wheel. Any scratch/swirl removal will entail the use of metal polishes (re:abrasives) and buffing "wheels" with extreme caution.

If the chromium plating has been compromised and the below nickle plating is observable, your best hope is to fill the voids with a wheel wax/sealant until the chromium further deteriorates or delaminates. This condition then warrants a re-finishing process or the less expensive option of a purchase of new wheels.

Since I'm not able to actually see your chrome wheels, I can't with assurity recommend what metal polishes you should use for your chrome wheels. Sorry. Be careful with whatever you decide to use.

But, If I'm not mistaken, AGO forum member HeavyMetal has a lot of expertise on this suject. Hopefully he'll chime in. Forrest@Mother's is also a good resource. Maybe he'll chime in also. :)

And take off those chrome wheels during winter months!

Bob