PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good plan for my neglected '99 Accord?

Mazda6
08-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I have a green '99 Honda Accord in need of some TLC. The previous owner neglected to clean off some bug goo that is now caked onto the front bumper, headlights, and bottom of the hood. There are swirls all over and quite a few scratches. The hood and roof are a bit oxidied but for the most part the rest of the paint is still glossy and vibrant.

These are the steps I am planning on, please let me know what you guys think:

1. Wash and dry
2. Clay
3. Meguiars UC on bugs, hood, and roof
SwirlX where needed
ScratchX where needed
4. NXT wax

I am a newbie to proper detailing so any advice is very much appreciated!

Shane731
08-12-2011, 11:11 PM
I found that the M105/M205 combo worked great on my parents' beige '01 Accord. Check it out:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/28487-honda-accord-saved-meg-s-twins-lots-pics.html

Kurt_s
08-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Are you working manually or do you have a machine?

You may want to use a stronger detergent like Dawn to wash before claying (I use CG Citrus Wash and Gloss but it's not necessary for your particular situation).

I really like UC but use it mainly with a DA. You should probably plan on using a polish after using UC to remove oxidized paint and swirls to add gloss. I've used ScratchX but only for spot work. I understand that Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are inexpensive and available at Wally Mart.

After polishing, you might want to use an IPA or MS wipedown to remove remaining polish in remaining swirls so you can check your progress removing swirls and oxidation. In certan circumstance, a finishing glaze can help you hide remaining swirls that you can't remove by hand before using your wax. Find something compatible with the LSP that you choose.

It is not fair for me to question your choice of NXT as have never used it. If you already own it, I'm sure that it is fine. There are a number of very good waxes and sealants that are in the same price range that you might consider otherwise (Collinite 845, MaxWax, Duragloss 105, OCW, etc.).

It may sound crazy but Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax that is super easy to use, gives terrific protection and gloss, and is relatively inexpensive. It takes 10 minutes to wax the car and will give you months of protection. I use it as a booster over a sealant (Wolfgang DGPS) every few weeks.

Get yourself some good microfiber cloths for polish and LSP removal. Megs Final Inspection is a nice, old school quick detailer when polishing. I prefer other QDs for everyday use. Optimum Power Clean is my favorite all use APC. I have several less expensive APCs and still turn to OPC most often.

Good luck!

I have a green '99 Honda Accord in need of some TLC. The previous owner neglected to clean off some bug goo that is now caked onto the front bumper, headlights, and bottom of the hood. There are swirls all over and quite a few scratches. The hood and roof are a bit oxidied but for the most part the rest of the paint is still glossy and vibrant.

These are the steps I am planning on, please let me know what you guys think:

1. Wash and dry
2. Clay
3. Meguiars UC on bugs, hood, and roof
SwirlX where needed
ScratchX where needed
4. NXT wax

I am a newbie to proper detailing so any advice is very much appreciated!