PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking products

killrflake
01-31-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm a new member to this site and I'm enjoying reading all the different opinions on all the products. But please give me some sound advise. I have an 05 Infiniti G35 cpe. in Ivory pearl which in really good shape. The car is garaged every night and it only has about 5900 miles. Low milage for a car thats almost 2 years old. But its often washed, and up to now, I've been using Zaino on it. I own two Porter Cable machines that have not been used on this car because I don't feel Zaino can be applied to easily by machine. So now I'm ready to make a change in product. Keeping in mind my car has no deep scratches or bad marks on the paint. Maybe a very fine polish might work followed by a sealent and maybe a wax? I know white does not pop like other colors but any thoughts on which way I should go. I don't mind paying high prices for good products. Thanks in advance.Feed back please

bambo2888
01-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Pinnacle's XMT line is specifically formulated for machine use. The products range from XMT1 up to XMT3, 3 being the most abrasive. I suggest XMT1 and an orange pad, based on your information on the car's paint condition. You will want to follow it up with a glaze, particularly XMT's glaze. After that, either a wax or sealant of your choice is the only step left.

Zaino is a pretty good wax, so perhaps sticking with that isn't necessarily a bad choice. Either way, others to consider are the Pinnacle Souveran (liquid for lighter cars is the general consensus, others will argue though), Signature Series, and a few others will round out the top.

Also, watch out for topping a sealant with a wax. Hopefully others will elaborate, for I think the the way you do-- top the sealant with a wax for extra protection. However, others claim that carnauba does not bond to the oils in a sealant. So, just keep a look out for everyone else's response reguarding that, as well.

Welcome to the forum, good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Truls
01-31-2007, 05:50 PM
XMT 1 works great on small swirls. medium/soft pad
DuraGloss #101 is insane shine. soft pad
DuraGloss #105 protects goooood, and makes it slick. by hand
Im not sure about the best wax on light cars, but its nothings wrong with Liquid Souveran. by hand, I love it

And welcome to AGF

Gary Sword
01-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Liquid Souveran should look very nice on that color and it's easy to apply with your PC. It's comes in larger size bottle which are a lot cheaper per ounce.

ltoman
01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Liquid Souveran should look very nice on that color and it's easy to apply with your PC. It's comes in larger size bottle which are a lot cheaper per ounce.

The idiot that I am, I haven't ordered anything in the bulk sizes - instead I have ordered multiple bottles...rofl...yes, I am serious. I have still managed to spend a fortune...wish I would have spotted that bulk Pinnacle special, Gary!:o
Lauren

ScottB
01-31-2007, 06:34 PM
someone seems to be borrowing off my forum id ?????????

ltoman
01-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Gary Sword
01-31-2007, 07:15 PM
The idiot that I am, I haven't ordered anything in the bulk sizes - instead I have ordered multiple bottles...rofl...yes, I am serious. I have still managed to spend a fortune...wish I would have spotted that bulk Pinnacle special, Gary!:o
Lauren

Not to get off topic but buying in bulk is the way to go if you do a lot of detailing. I have purchased 128oz bottles of Liquid Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist and Woofgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I would go broke buying 16oz bottles. I wish some of the other products I liked came in larger sizes at similar savings (Hint to AG).

ltoman
01-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Not to get off topic but buying in bulk is the way to go if you do a lot of detailing. I have purchased 128oz bottles of Liquid Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist and Woofgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I would go broke buying 16oz bottles. I wish some of the other products I liked came in larger sizes at similar savings (Hint to AG).

Thank you again, Gary! WHile this may be a little off topic, if I did not realize then some other newbies may not either. And I have been here since like August I think? ANd it boosts sales here as I will do that now that you have shared and AG will sell more. I will also have more to trade. WHen I have traded, I have put big dents in my containers by doing so and I wish I had the big ones as it is cool to swap stuff and try it so you can go buy it.

SOrry for being bad and being off topic, but I think this was valuable nonetheless...

Sincerely,
Lauren

Jimmie
01-31-2007, 08:00 PM
You may help yourself get the best bang for the buck by considering one of the Pinnacle kits. The three that seem close to what's been mentioned; "Forum Favorite", "Sizzling Shine"; "Souveran/Klasse".

killrflake
02-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Great ideas everyone, thanks. Bambo, you are right about Zaino products. They do give you an unbelievable shine and they last for quite a long time, in fact I've never gotten to the point were the Zaino had worn off because I enjoy detailing my car so much its done every 3 to 6 weeks. Those little bottles that you mix the Zaino polishes and sealents in with the hardener in can't last to long when using when using a PC. Zaino even says on their site that using a machine to apply the polishes and sealents will have you using more then twice the amount of product because of pad absorbtion. Guess I'll just have to make a decision. I do really want to try those XMT products and I think I might just have the right car to try them on. My father in-law whose in his 80s, just bought a new Honda Accord and so he gave us old car. It's a silver 98 Accord with only 39000 miles on it and is in perfect condition in all ways except I don't think he ever waxed it. There no rust, dents or scratches on it. The paint really needs some TLC though. Maybe I'll get the XMT line of products and go to town on this baby. I just have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit. Again thanks for the suggestios everyone.

joe.p
02-02-2007, 01:11 PM
distant relative maybe :p

wytstang
02-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Great ideas everyone, thanks. Bambo, you are right about Zaino products. They do give you an unbelievable shine and they last for quite a long time, in fact I've never gotten to the point were the Zaino had worn off because I enjoy detailing my car so much its done every 3 to 6 weeks. Those little bottles that you mix the Zaino polishes and sealents in with the hardener in can't last to long when using when using a PC. Zaino even says on their site that using a machine to apply the polishes and sealents will have you using more then twice the amount of product because of pad absorbtion. Guess I'll just have to make a decision. I do really want to try those XMT products and I think I might just have the right car to try them on. My father in-law whose in his 80s, just bought a new Honda Accord and so he gave us old car. It's a silver 98 Accord with only 39000 miles on it and is in perfect condition in all ways except I don't think he ever waxed it. There no rust, dents or scratches on it. The paint really needs some TLC though. Maybe I'll get the XMT line of products and go to town on this baby. I just have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit. Again thanks for the suggestios everyone.
Since you detail the car so often using the Zaino system really isn't worth it (as far as long term protection). A carnuaba such as Pinnacles Sig II would work quit well, or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant, Poorboys World EX & EX-P look great on white. Here is what WG DGS looks like on Crystal White: (Rear quarter panel only)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/wytstang/DSC00972-1.jpg
This is Poorboys EX-P:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/wytstang/NewHomeFirstdetail025Medium.jpg