PDA

View Full Version : mf pad and mf backing plate melt down

carsmetic
08-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Heavily scratched black saturn suv. used mf/da system. had an opportunity in several areas to try the edge method mentioned in a post recently. the edge method worked great. car turned out great but required extreme pressure, especially on the hood. After finishing cutting the hood, slid down to bumper where only partial pad contact was possible. Pad delaminated, have had this before when moving from a flat full contact surface to a partial contact surface with a hot pad.
This time the velcro backing melted to the backing plate, such a drag.
picture is of driver door, example of what we were dealing with.

This is the 2nd mf backing plate we've done this to. Have 2 griot backing plates that have not done this under similar conditions. No idea why. I've ruined foam pads on them and mf pads on them but never had the velcro on the backing plate melt on the non mf plates.
I know it was too much speed and pressure but sometimes that is necessary.

on a side note, we have 2 griots and just got the g110v2, use the mf system daily with all of them. under pressure the griot needs to be near speed 5 to maintain adequate rotaion, while the g110v2 will maintain its roatation at lower speed settings. I found this interesting, griot is supposed to be more powerful, and I have no complaints about them. but the new megs da holds its roatation better at lower speed settings so in essence it is more powerful. love them both, pros and cons on each unit. always a trade off it seems.

C. Charles Hahn
08-12-2011, 12:26 AM
on a side note, we have 2 griots and just got the g110v2, use the mf system daily with all of them. under pressure the griot needs to be near speed 5 to maintain adequate rotaion, while the g110v2 will maintain its roatation at lower speed settings. I found this interesting, griot is supposed to be more powerful, and I have no complaints about them. but the new megs da holds its roatation better at lower speed settings so in essence it is more powerful. love them both, pros and cons on each unit. always a trade off it seems.

That's because the G110v2 has a cruise control circuit, and the GG6 does not. :props:

carsmetic
08-12-2011, 09:14 AM
the cruise control feature works good.
the g110v2 has is much louder than the griot, at least mine is. kind of a high pitched whine. anyone else notice this?

Mike Phillips
08-12-2011, 09:19 AM
I know it was too much speed and pressure but sometimes that is necessary.

Correct. The melting comes from too much heat.

It could be you're pushing the products, pads and backing plates past their limit as to what they were designed to do.

That's been the norm ever since the DA Polisher was introduced, basically people trying to use it to remove serious or deep paint defects quickly like you can do with a rotary buffer. Point being the melting comes from heat and heat comes from pressure and time, two things you control.

So it's possible that you're just pushing technology past the point to what it was designed to do?

:)

carsmetic
08-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Correct. The melting comes from too much heat.

So it's possible that you're just pushing technology past the point to what it was designed to do?

:)

thanks Mike, yes we are definitely pushing the limits of this technology. Probably should get out the rotary but the new mf-da system is so much easier to deal with. No splatter, dusting, taping off.....after the first couple pad failures we pretty much found how far we could push it and what situations caused the failures. partial pad contact with a heated up pad is the main culprit. yesterday was just flat out pushing it too far.