PDA

View Full Version : Scratches not buffing out 97 C- 5 Vette

Driwash
08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I am a noob to machine buffing, just received PC 7424xp and working on my 97 Vette Torch Red the paint is very nice but there are some very light scratches. They can not be felt with the finger nail. Here is what I have done. Used orange 4" pad set speed to 5.5, used MEGs #9 swirl remover, paint was clay blocked and very clean. Used very slow arm movements, made 6 section passes and buffed off with MF cloth. Did this three times and the stright line scratches have no sign of removal. I have detailed older cars by hand years ago and never had this type of problem. Must be the clear coat is made of Kriptinyt. This is my first try but I am very determand, and that this is not brain surgery.
I don't have a pic of the scratches. Sorry I phone not that good But I do have a pic of the how good the hood looks in the garage.

Here are my questions,

Am I not using the right swirl remover?
Should I be using a more aggresive pad?
Is it just that the clear coat on the 97 vette is extra hard?
Am I just a noob and asking to much?

Any Suggestions welcome, even bust on the noob jokes......:buffing:

Tom

Mobile detail
08-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Vettes have a very hard clear coat your right ashit that. #9 isn't a very strong swirl remover at all. I would suggest menzerna sip or 203. If your looking for otc megs ultimate compound would work. Using a pc wil take time to correct instead of a rotory but it should be able to be done. I think. Make sure you follow up compound with a finish polish like 85rd Or p106 menzerna line. Hope this helps feel free to ask any more questions, I'm sure other will chime in.

truckbutt
08-12-2011, 08:05 AM
There are alot of very good products you can use. personally I use M105, M205 and then Menz P085rd. I am concerned that you are using a 4" pad. Unless you are working in a small area that a larger pad won't fit I would use a larger pad to avoid taking off too much paint. I can tell you from experience!

Mike Phillips
08-12-2011, 08:19 AM
#9 isn't a very strong swirl remover at all.

Absolutely correct.

M09 Swirl Remover 2.0 is a very fine swirl remover. The name does make a person think it will remove swirls and it will... very shallow swirls. It's part of a body shop line intended to be used after the heavy lifting or heavy correction work has already been done an all that's left in the paint is your own haze or swirls left by the more aggressive products and pads, not normal wear-n-tear, type scratches that tend to be deeper than the haze or swirls left by a professional compounding and/or medium polishing steps.

You need a medium polish at a minimum and more than likely a true compound and M105 and/or Ultimate Compound work very well on Corvette clear coat paint systems.

Since you're in Florida, maybe consider attending my next set of classes.

Do you want to attend a Detailing Class?
If you want to be notified when the next Detailing 101 and 102 classes are scheduled, then please send me an e-mail, (not a Private Message), with the subject: Class Request to Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net (Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net)

:)

Driwash
08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Absolutely correct.

M09 Swirl Remover 2.0 is a very fine swirl remover. The name does make a person think it will remove swirls and it will... very shallow swirls. It's part of a body shop line intended to be used after the heavy lifting or heavy correction work has already been done an all that's left in the paint is your own haze or swirls left by the more aggressive products and pads, not normal wear-n-tear, type scratches that tend to be deeper than the haze or swirls left by a professional compounding and/or medium polishing steps.

You need a medium polish at a minimum and more than likely a true compound and M105 and/or Ultimate Compound work very well on Corvette clear coat paint systems.

Since you're in Florida, maybe consider attending my next set of classes.

Do you want to attend a Detailing Class?
If you want to be notified when the next Detailing 101 and 102 classes are scheduled, then please send me an e-mail, (not a Private Message), with the subject: Class Request to Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net (Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net)

:)

Mike you are the man, I tried a med. compound and it worked wonders. I had 3m pro polishing compound and tried it, set the speed to 6 on the pc 7424xp. 80% of the straight line scraches are gone. I followed up with MEG's ulit. polish them Classic Gold + carneuba. I will keep working on the rest of the vette and get some pictures up soon. This is my Get-er Done DA Polishing project....and it is "Buffing Up" :buffing:

Thanks for all the suggestions that members posted.

Tom

Mike Phillips
08-12-2011, 03:19 PM
This is my Get-er Done DA Polishing project....and it is "Buffing Up" :buffing:

Thanks for the follow-up, we love to read of success stories! :dblthumb2:

Thanks for all the suggestions that members posted.

Tom

One of the best things about the AutogeekOnline.net discussion forum is the willingness of our stellar members to chime in and help others out...

It's a very good sign of a strong forum.

:xyxthumbs: